Samsung Galaxy Note

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Samsung Galaxy Note

Tried this out today for about an hour and no matter what I did to free up resources (the hardware setup is actually "blazing fast"....seriously), the Wacom "S" pen still produced noticeable lag.
    I wasn't able to install the Adobe Photoshop Touch app or SB on this particular unit (doesn't belong to me), so I don't know if the lag pretty much came down to the app I was using it in.
    Anyone else go cop this yet, install drawing apps on it and try it out? Any lag? I know SB works lovely on low end hardware configs for slates, I'm hoping Autodesk at least patches the app to respond to pressure sensitivity from the S pen.
    I really want to get this immediately, but that lag is bummin me out right about now.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AAAnnnnnnnnnd they just dropped a 10.1 version:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/27/s...axy-note-10.1/

I've yet to cop the Series 7 slate also (been busy), looks like it's going to be a Samsung Summer over here

I wonder if you can use the same stylus for all three. I'm pretty sure you can, I understand they're all Penabled tech (256)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the international UK version of the Note

Loving the Note.....however regarding the pen..at the moment it is kind of dissapointing....however not unexpected. The S-memo app is the only app that really works well with it. The main problem is however the OS. Gingerbread wasn't designed for pen use nor its apps for pressure. There are a few apps that do recognize pressure like Zen-brush, but clearly they only support pressure in a very rudmentary manner. I haven't used Zen Brush in other platforms, but I find it almost unusable because of the lag. Sketchbook Mobile for gingerbread has always had lag, even with capacative stylus's.

Now Photoshop Touch and Sketchbook Pro on the other hand.....require Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich. Once the ICS update for the Note for is released, (hopefully in the next month) the pen functionality should be much better. And they only just released the SPK for the pen like a month or so ago, so in the coming months when app developers have more time to utilize the spk, pressure supported apps should be much better.

One thing I was kind of supprised....Capacative pens work supprisingly well on the note. I can't stand using capacactive pens on the Ipad because it wears my hand/arm out since you have to apply a certain amount of pressure. On my old Droid2global, I found I had to apply even more force to get capacative pens to register....but the Galaxy Note....requires really no force at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wish Samsung would quit releasing their phones/tablets on outdated software. It's like releasing new desktops on Windows XP

One of the frustrations with Android as an OS is that they are releasing the updates, but people are at the mercy of their telephone provider (or company) to get those updates. Imagine waiting for critical updates on Windows because you had to go through your ISP instead of just getting them from Microsoft.

That said, thanks for the review on the note because I was interested since I have a galaxy s2 and wondered if the stylus is worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope ICS ramps that pen up some. A client just left my studio with a white Note and watching her scribble with that pen, geeked and totally impervious to that 1 second lag was hurting my eyes. How a "dual core" device suffers from this is crazy in 2012.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In case anyone else is curious in getting the Note for mobile Art Use

Here are all the Art Apps I've tried with their pros and cons.

I just want to disclaimer....that at least for my art needs..I live and breath in Photoshop and I'm cool with Paint Tool Sai....but other programs like Sketchbook Pro & Art Rage....I'm not really a fan of. So I hold Photoshop as the gold standard....so my personal preference is biased as to what can compare to photoshop. So while some of these apps don't really work for me, they may work well for others.

As a point of reference, The Ipad/ISO App "Art Studio" I consider that to be the greatest art app on the Ipad since its functionability is closest to photoshop. In going thru all the current Android apps.....I really don't see any that can touch Art Studio.....yet....

Gingerbread Art Apps

Drawing Pad – Pressure Sensitive, but limited selection of tools and no zoom or brush setting modifications

Fresco Art App – Pinch Zoom & Layers, but no Pressure, small brushes kind of laggy/glitchy, very limited brush settings,

Zen Brush – Pressure….but no Zoom…no colors but black…and loads of Lag

Sketchbook Mobile – No Pressure…..when not zoomed in, brush strokes tend to vector, & inherent In-app lag. I’ve noticed the same lag on Sketchbook Mobile on both the Droid2Global and Kindle fire. Its useable, but kind of annoying.

Sketch n Draw -…different…..not a simple sketch app by any means…very artistic selection of brushs…..thinking in photoshop terms…being able to only draw with texture brushes. I still need to play with this one alittle more.

Omni Sketch – Has Pressure, but no Zoom, and unresponsive and confusing toolbar, and you can only draw in shapes and texture brushes.

Paint Up – experimental color app…you draw lines in color and the app will pre-paint them….interesting but not suitable for sketching or regular drawing.

Magic Doodle – No Pressure, but has zoom, layers, and overall seems to be decent. Interface seems half ripped off of sketchbook mobile.

Doodle Droid – Has Pressure…. that seems to only work when it wants to work. …has zoom but not pinch zoom…. Very Artrage Style of Brushs….for me that’s a negative, but other might like it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got the note recently and so far its been good the perfect fit for me. Its big, but anyone contemplating getting one knows this and has seen the thing, so really that shouldn't be a negative if youre in the market for one.

I basically wanted a small computer for browsing, gaming, watching video, listening to music and the note just owrks great for that. Kindle reading is so far really nice on this screen. If I wanted just a phone, id never have gotten this thing, but as a tablet which fits in my pocket, its great.

I've only been drawing with it for a bit, mostly in the basic note program and sketchbook mobile. Id say it's great for sketching, at least for me. I'm not a professional, I draw because its fun, and the drawing thing is more delicious gravy than the actual reason I got the phone. I must say it works really well once you get used to the pen and calibrate it a bit.

I am contemplating getting the addition of the bigger s pen holder kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMnfEczi7QI because the pen is on the small side.

Overall, for people who want to sketch digitally without lugging a tablet around and get a wacom digitizer that they can draw on their phone with, having pressure sensitivity and ps touch and sketchbook pro once the ics update kicks in this quarter, give the note a try, I love mine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My carrier doesn't have the Galaxy Note yet and I have been very interested in it.
    Last week I got a Galaxy Nexus and have been playing around with the art apps and got quite a surprise.

The Nexus has the Ice Cream Sandwich OS (this is why I am responding to this) and I'm quite impressed.

I tried a stylus with my old Droid X and it was painfully awful, had to use so much pressure I was afraid I would break the screen, just to get a solid line. It skipped and lagged terribly.

On this Nexus the stylus requires almost no pressure and there is no lag, it truly is a pleasure, and amazingly even though this phone does not mention anything about pressure sensitivity in one app there is an option to use sensitivity for line width and opacity.

Of course I had to try even though I knew it wouldn't work, but it did.

There is not a huge amount of pressure sensitivity but there is enough to notice a difference.

The app is Canvas, another that gives the effect of sensitivity is Sumi-e Painting, it uses speed to vary line width.

Moving slowly gives a wide line and fast a thin with varying degrees in between.

I don't know whether the Galaxy Nexus screen is the difference or if it is the ICS OS, I imagine it is a combination of the two.
    I do know that there is a world of difference between Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich, and it's all for the better.

ICS is hands down the best Android OS I've seen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I'd hope ICS would help App performance, the most likely cause for the superior performance you are seeing in the Nexus is probally from it just having a better touch screen.

While Apple pretty much uses the same capacative digitizer for its Iphones, Ipads, & Ipod Touches, given the myriad of different manufactures and models you find on Android phones, although quite similar in a basic sense, there will also be very subtle differences in responsiveness on most andorid phones between the different brands and manufactures since they all use different parts and what not.

Capacative Stylus's work horriable on my Gingerbread Droid2, but much better on my Gingerbread Galaxy Note, as is general touch response.

Another example, I can use a smudgeguard glove on my capacative touch Ipad, and it won't register touch so long as I have the glove. However on my Ep121 or S7S Tablet PCs, they both use Wacom's Dual digitizer, so they have Capcative touch as well. However even with the smudge guard on, it will still register touch since wacom uses a much more responsive capacative digitizer then Apple uses.

And for the simulated presure your seeing, thank Apple and the hoard of Ipad Art App developers for that. The orignal IPad Sketchbook Pro I belieave was the first to make a simulated pressure brush, and other apps refinded the concept with using brush application speed to control it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mimer View Post
    Overall, for people who want to sketch digitally without lugging a tablet around and get a wacom digitizer that they can draw on their phone with, having pressure sensitivity and ps touch and sketchbook pro once the ics update kicks in this quarter, give the note a try, I love mine.
    On the matter of Photoshop Touch....bad news with that.

Currently there is a Gingerbread Mod of that floating around that works on the Note.....while Pressure does work....its the most fugly line art quality I've seen this side of N-trig tablets. I'm praying that the proper ICS update fixes it, but as is, Photoshop Touch won't be that useable for art needs.

Members who have read this thread: 1