Sketchbook: Everybody Starts Somewhere - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Everybody Starts Somewhere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your recent fruit and egg studies as well as the drawing you did of the cup and saucer. With the banana especially I can really feel its weight and presence, if that makes any sense. :p The only thing that needed to be done, as with what everyone else was saying, was to push the darks and you did just that in your latest work. You can go even further though, don't be hesitant. I'm sort of the same way, that is afraid to whip out the 4b or 6b or whatever and push hard but I've found that when I push my darks and make the contrast that much greater my work does look better. So go for it! Looking good though.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perfectbuddha: Thanks and glad to hear it's given you some ideas.

PerfectGet: Drawing much larger allowed me to use more range of motion with my arm, and in the ends, build greater detail and have a better appreciation for my subjects.

twilightmoon777: Thanks for taking a look! Yeah, I've been having troubles pushing the darker values, and found that it's been really hard with pencil (even 6B and Ebony) to get it dark without a light silver sheen. Thus, I've been working on charcoal pencils as of late.

Oi, it's been a couple weeks. I have no still lifes to show. Life has been exceedingly hectic and exhausting, but even then I've been working hard to do at least 30 minutes to an hour of drawing each day.

So, what have I been drawing these days? Well, I took a cue from LukeStarkiller's great thread and have been doing gesture exercises and quick portraits. Though my girlfriend has been kind enough to pose for me, most of my drawings are coming from either photos or imagination. Along with those, I've been doing various five or ten minute life object studies around the house or in the car while waiting on people.

Though I have done several large pages and small sketchbook pages of gestures, I've uploaded a couple to show progression.

From a week or so ago (30 or so seconds per gesture, block-in method):
    Name:  oldGestures.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  87.5 KB

From a day ago (45 seconds or so per gesture, main sweeping line and accent lines method):
    Name:  gestures.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  99.2 KB

In the past, I was blocking in a lot of gestures. I would add a single motion line, but block in the rest real quick. While that is useful, my figures always felt more angular and less fluid. After going through LukeStarkiller's thread, as well as looking at KChen and AztcFireFlower, I started working on building with motion lines. A line that describes the main curve or angle of movement, then a few others that provide the weighted accents of motions. After that, I did quick masses to connect them together and flush it out.

The latter approach has also improved my way of seeing gestures and motions. I can more easily build upon the few lines of gesture with mass than I ever could with a single motion line and blocking in (or just blocking in).

I hope that you can see the slow progression from the image from a week ago to the one from yesterday. There are still sharp angles and some rigidity, but I feel like the overall smoothness and feeling of motion is improving.

I've also been doing little perspective studies on a daily basis, from building single point to three point perspective, filling in with blocks, ellipses, or mannequins.

The next week is going to be insane, but the week after? I have a vacation. I'll be flying to the midwest to visit family and will have, hopefully, lots of time during the week to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rishenko I can see the improvement and I think you are doing fine for 45 sec. I have always felt that gestures look so quick and simple but in fact are so very hard to do well. I think good gestures take A LOT of drawing and practice, but it will be so worth it when we get there. I have along way to go with mine so you may well get there first!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last November I started having some shoulder issues that forced me away from my favorite physical past times. It seemed to be improving, but in June it took a pretty heavy downturn. Found out that I had bad arthritis in my right shoulder with bone spurs and my clavicle grinding against another bone. Had surgery on July 9th and have been going through physical therapy since.

I've reached the point where I can start drawing again, but having done so little in the past couple months and being new overall, it's frustrating how much I've lost. However, I'll persevere and keep going and ignore the short term setback in favor of the long term gain.

It's good to be back and I will have a few pics to post within the next couple days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rishenko sorry to hear about your shoulder issues, I really hope the surgery sorts it's out for you. I'm sure as soon as you are able that you will catch up quickly with your drawing. Wishing you well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 2