Bee girl - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bee girl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bai Fan: Thanks. I seen that excellent guide before, and tried to learn from it. But in my head it bit hard do move from the example of one large body of hair, to a few separated stands of hair. But I'll see what I'll can do.

Nuclear_Bunny: Thanks!

keith_v: The paint over is great, and would probably make a better picture. But, taking into account that this is a character I wanna illustrate, and I personally like empathizing the contrast between the normal, and the supernatural I think I keep a more "normal" look of the girl herself.

There is something interesting to me to see someone handling something strange or even scary by treating it like a everyday thing. Like the people in the pictures. Smiling a little, but not freaking out or coming across as any else then pretty normal people, letting the strange element (bees) speak for itself.

But I like other aspects of the paintover a lot. Like what you did with the hood, and the bit more dramatic shadows. But I don't know if I can make the shadows any deeper with out lightning up the eyes the way you did.

Last edited by w176; March 1st, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
    I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

Sketchbook: w176 love of the color dirt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement so far. the face is now much more rendered than the rest of the image and creates a weired vibe. try looking at this for hair process ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqBPaNPYdCY

btw, the freckles work so much better now, i still theink the cast shadow up over the nose bridge seems sharp and uneven, eyes are much better. i for one like the subtlety of the light in the piece as it is. You could maybe do a couple of thumbnails for the bee composition; but i would in future recommend doing the comp stuff first.

Keep at it

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YEEEEES! (Well. That might be a bit to overenthusiastic, but I blame the caffeine.)

Okey. It might not be much progress at the moment, but thank you dog-faced for that video. It starting to look like hair. I softened the shadow on the nose as well, and did some work on the lips. The picture is expanded a bit to the left because I think it annoying to draw the hair off the edge of the canvas. Seeing all the hair helps my understanding of the hair. Will crop later

And yeah. I shouldn't cheat and jump ahead. Thumbnails first.

Edit: Updated the progress picture

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by w176; March 1st, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
    I have no intention of becoming a professional artist, I just aspire to become a really good amateur.

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just had to post here and say the progress you've made is amazing! Good on you for really working with this piece so much... the difference between last post and first is amazing! Only thing I could point out as crit at the moment (as the hair's yet to be finished) is don't forget to give her neck a either a littl more shadow to obscure it more, or work a little more detail into it, as it looks a bit inbetween stages compared the wonderful work you've done on her face. And personally, I think it's a great character study even without the bees.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zephyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zephyri: Thank you for your kind words as well as your advice. I'll wait a bit with doing the neck until I gotten somewhere with the hair, since the shadows the hair cast will mess up things. Same thing with the cloak, too.

---

I took a pause to clear my brain, but I'm still working on it. Getting the hair colors "right" for the lighting, and the rest of the picture became quite a challenge. I'm going for some thing in the red/blond spectrum (see reference in the corner) since I think that might mix well with bees sort of orange color, but I don't want it to become to saturated and dominate the picture completely.

In some ways it gotten worse from the first version. In some way it might gotten better. Still experimenting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That face is looking awesome. Good progress!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jimshred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

yeah i like the hair this way, feels more lively. im still not sure about the jaw/nose. here ive brought the nose wing/nostrils down because her nose is a bit wiered and ive just softened the lips and whole jaw area to make it less sharp, as you want the eyes the focus. also i tryed to copy the other side of the jaw to make it more symmetrical.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My wacom pen took a kamikaze dive to the floor, so I been penless for some time. Got the pen back, lowered the nostrils and made the face more symmetrical.

Then i started working sketching the bees, and realized I have only a vague grasp on how bees look and how to draw bees. (I do know that bees got wings, but those are transparent so they will be added on a separate layer later.)

Edit: (Somehow I missed the last two sentences.) So I'll do a couple close up studies on bees, from photo. Because for some reason bees don't seem to like snow, and not like modeling in the snow either..

Last edited by w176; March 15th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bees are on the girl, so light falling on the planes will fall on the bees. Studying bees individually is still your best bet.

The next think is knowing the 3 dimensionality of surfaces. The bees are crawling everywhere, and the perspective and planes they are supposed to be on are off.

Some things to consider with no regards to order:

1. Value of bees. E.g. can you see that the bee on the neck is of the wrong value? Light is falling on the neck but not the bee on the neck?
    2. Edge or linework of the bees. Bees have some hair, I believe. So there is some fuzziness.
    3. Perspective of bees, or the foreshortening.
    4. Dynamics of hair. The bees on the hair look like they are floating on the hair rather than being tangled with it. Overlap some strands of hair over the bee to show depth.

Regarding the girl herself, I do believe the eyes are too big, but if that is on purpose, then this critique holds no value. But if it is not on purpose, you should take it into consideration.

My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    The bees are on the girl, so light falling on the planes will fall on the bees. Studying bees individually is still your best bet.

The next think is knowing the 3 dimensionality of surfaces. The bees are crawling everywhere, and the perspective and planes they are supposed to be on are off.

Some things to consider with no regards to order:

1. Value of bees. E.g. can you see that the bee on the neck is of the wrong value? Light is falling on the neck but not the bee on the neck?
    2. Edge or linework of the bees. Bees have some hair, I believe. So there is some fuzziness.
    3. Perspective of bees, or the foreshortening.
    4. Dynamics of hair. The bees on the hair look like they are floating on the hair rather than being tangled with it. Overlap some strands of hair over the bee to show depth.

Regarding the girl herself, I do believe the eyes are too big, but if that is on purpose, then this critique holds no value. But if it is not on purpose, you should take it into consideration.
    The bees are just sketched at the moment, really roughly, and nor really intergrated with the hair or the surfaces. I didn't get any further before I realized that I better understand bees construction before start intergrateing them into the picture. If I don't know how bee legs do look it was hard to find an angle where they seem to rest on the skin in the right way, etc.

But I'll get to it as soon as I gotten some grasp of the beenotomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would think about varying the density of the bees in a way that tells the viewer what their relation is to the girl. For instance, if they lined the inside of her robe or clustered around her neck or hair it would tell a different story than if they were swarming all around her but never touched her flesh. I'm not suggesting you make her a human bee hive, but their presence seems a little too incidental at the moment.

Also, if you're into human beehives, you should watch Ninja Scroll.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bee studies since I need to draw some bees to complete this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love this picture, especially that paintover in the scary intense way, reminded me of baldurs gate or something great stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the bees dont follow the contour. try casting some shadows as its imposible to tell where the bees sit in space.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the work you are doing.
    Just something I noticed, it looks like 1 eye has been heavily lined with black eyeliner (around the tear duct and lower waterline) and the other one isn't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice progression from first post till now! it's been very interesting and helpful looking at everyone else's crits.

I know you're sort of done with the girl, but her eyes seem kind of soulless to me right now.

Sketchbook

Naidy Ľ Black Spot Ľ Eyestrain Ľ VK

ôThis is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.ö --Jason Rainville

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.