Art: How much should I charge for an environment concept painting?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

How much should I charge for an environment concept painting?

So I'm getting hired by an indie filmmaker in Brooklyn. How much should I charge him for on environment concept/production painting. Based on my work, how much should I charge. This is my first gig.

alexartworks.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    You charge your rate times the hours it will take you to complete the work. You set your rate by deciding how much you need to make a month to pay your bills and have a little money left over.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always have a bit of trouble figuring how much I should charge too, that makes sense. I would say if you're concepting out a film, I'd charge by the hour cause he'll have you do revisions and changes, throw out ideas and bring in new, unless he only wants an exact number of paintings or designs, then I was guesstimate how long it would take and charge him a flat rate with a certain number of revisions you're willing to do until you charge him again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomahawk Monkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Is it crass of me to suggest an actual number?

Keep in mind that my CHoW entries don't get votes and my WIP posts don't get comments...

As a function of my job I do on occasion get paid to do concept art (almost always creature design), and I generally charge $25 to $35 per hour, with the number being influenced by many factors. I would be shocked if full-time concept art pros aren't paid more than that.

I would also strongly suggest discussing the process with the client so you are both on the same page about what to expect.

Good luck with the gig!

My portfolio

Would you like to see my drawr-rings?

Will design for food, provided that we all agree that money is edible.

Thanks
    They are, even twice or more. Always depends on client and the complexity of work.

Thanks
    In my experience, the best practice is to ask the client, "What is your budget for this assignment?" as early as you can while still being polite. Generally within the first fifteen minutes of a phone conversation or--if they contacted you by e-mail--in your initial response to their query. If they don't respond by offering you a number, they are probably trying to hustle you.

Also: If you're in Florida and the client is in New York, you have essentially no way to insure you will get paid, unless you want to drive up to Brooklyn and sue them in small-claims court. Bear that in mind--i.e., get a third or a half of your fee up front.

Thanks
    Ask your fellow artists and find out what the free market rate is - and I say, "free market", not "fair market" because the market is never fair.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You charge your rate times the hours it will take you to complete the work. You set your rate by deciding how much you need to make a month to pay your bills and have a little money left over.
    While that can give ppl a rough idea, Im totally against this type of calculation. By that standard, seasoned pros will be charging the same as beginners. There's a quote I saw somewhere: you aren't paying me for the two hours it takes me to finish a drawing, but the ten years it takes me to get to this level.

Anyway, Like others mentioned, ask about their budget first so you know how much they are willing to pay. I looked at your site, your environmentals are good but at the same time they aren't really up to par with the pros. Im not too familiar with environmental pricing, but go by character drawing pricings, I think you are limited to $15-$20 per hour, depends on the clients budget and how much you want to work on this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRO305 View Post
    So I'm getting hired by an indie filmmaker in Brooklyn. How much should I charge him for on environment concept/production painting. Based on my work, how much should I charge. This is my first gig.

alexartworks.com
    I don't know anything about the industry, and I'm not even an artist so if my question is a bother just ignore me.

I'm curious though, how long have you been into making art?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LuminusTytus View Post
    I don't know anything about the industry, and I'm not even an artist so if my question is a bother just ignore me.

I'm curious though, how long have you been into making art?
    Luminus, please do not hijack the thread for your own purposes. Your previous thread on this topic was closed, and a personal question is best asked via PM or email.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohaeri View Post
    Luminus, please do not hijack the thread for your own purposes. Your previous thread on this topic was closed, and a personal question is best asked via PM or email.
    Okay. Sorry bout that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LuminusTytus For This Useful Post:

Thanks

alexartworks.com
    30/hr is an average entry freelance charge... That includes any sketches, roughs, finals and revisions you do.

Thanks

alexartworks.com
    no alot, looks like you could need some more work for your portfolio, and would be good to have some satisfied references before you demand the big $.. also make sure not to over charge (like it looks like some suggest) you risk loosing the job/a great learning experience

Thanks
    Sorry to resurrect an older post, but I felt I had information that could help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    If you're in Florida and the client is in New York, you have essentially no way to insure you will get paid, unless you want to drive up to Brooklyn and sue them in small-claims court. Bear that in mind--i.e., get a third or a half of your fee up front.
    One option here, assuming that you have email contact with the client (though it is also possible via physical post) is to send a watermarked proof (a translucent image in the center of your picture which shows your artwork but also renders it professionally useless) of your work, the agreement being that upon proving the work is complete, once their cheque has cleared, you will send a full, high resolution finished version. This could be stipulated beforehand, so as not to seem stand off-ish.

"I will charge you x amount per hour, including sketchwork and revisions. Upon completion, I will send you a watermarked proof of the artwork and an invoice. After the cheque for the invoice has cleared, I will release the designs."

You should also remember to agree that you retain the right to show the work you have done in your personal portfolio and promotional material. High profile clients, for instance, game studios sticking to strict release dates tend to require that you don't personally release or publish your work until they are ready for it to be made public, which to me, is fair enough. This will also probably be stipulated early on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jri View Post
    One option here, assuming that you have email contact with the client (though it is also possible via physical post) is to send a watermarked proof...the agreement being that upon proving the work is complete, once their cheque has cleared, you will send a full, high resolution finished version.
    This seems a bit unrealistic to me. In the US at least, the standard schedule of payment to vendors is "Net 30 Days," which means one doesn't get paid until a month after the job is completed. Asking the client to wait an additional month for a non-watermarked version of the art is just not going to happen. That said--everything in this world is negotiable, and if you can get the client to pay on completion of the job, something like Jri's suggestion might actually be workable.

Members who have read this thread: 4