Sketchbook: Jon's Sketchbook - Page 25

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leonor: Thank you Leonor. You make a very valid point about not sacrificing the impact of an image for realism. I don't know if I will be returning to the Paris piece again but I still appreciate your input and I'm going to keep your advice in mind for future images.

vezun: Thanks man, glad you like them

The start of another character piece. Going more in the direction of costume design I guess.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work looks really professional , this last character concept with some more work put into it would look more or less like something you would see in one of those concept art books. Kinda confused as to what the head thing is supposed to be, a hood or something? It's just floating above her head atm xD. She looks a bit stretched out too, but that may be because you have something in mind for the boots.

I don't think that the lamp posts really detract that much from the image but that's kinda subjective. I like that you kept it in black and white too, makes it look like something from an old movie or something ^^.
    Rocking it like a baws!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mrkolsyrad: Thanks a lot mate Yeah, it's supposed to be a kind of hood but I like to play with shapes a let functionality come afterwards so sometimes things look like they don't work or don't make sense She's a bit stretched aye, haven't fixed it yet, dno, I kinda like long legs yeah?

Man I spaced out like 4 times during the course of writing this response. I gotta go to sleep

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you show us how its done, i enjoy myslef so much seeing your updates, they keep me thinking, your approches are smart, any tip on how to handle the soft edges? those soft edges on the faces are really cool, the more soft the more hard is for me, bah forget it, im just gonna burn you with questions next time we do a hang out >.<

as a tip for that yellow character, wach out her left arm,its mixing too much with the rest of the body, in this cases an exageration of atsmospheric perspective can be usefull http://tahra.deviantart.com/art/study-86459804
    and i enjoyed more the first cloth you did for the head, the hood.

(your getting goooood, hate you)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude that last character concept is sick. I will say that I like the hood a bit more when it had the looser-looking strands on the side though. Keep it up dude. Sick stuff.

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spoonfruit: Yeah, that seemed to be a fairly common consensus and I ended up reworking it a bit Thanks a lot

Buxu: I'm already looking forward to the hangout tonight I need to get off my ass and get back into environments (I did some stuff but nothing finished or really in the way of studies). Thanks for the tip about the arm, I tried to seperate it by giving her a sleeve and making it darker since I didn't want to make it lighter against a dark background. See you later mate

Made some further adjustments to the character, trying to work in some backstory elements in her clothing. Then I have another portrait study and some sketches for a new character design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, some pen sektches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god Jon, you've been moving fast and steadily forward. Your costumes are insane, you're getting so much variety in your clothing - gawwh, the hands are looking wonderful too. Looks like you've taken a big step forward with your level of skill, it's great to see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jon your sketches are as awesome as always, i love the control you have over those chars, so many variants, my only recomendation would be trying some textures? i see the same material too often. sorry for couldnt make it at the hang out, my connection is very unstable at the mom.
    keep rocking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buxu: Yes, you're right, using the round hard brush so much can result in quite samey textures. I try to define different materials via their value ranges but I think a lot of what you mentioned comes from me not really knowing what the actual material is that I'm rendering e.g. non-descript, sci-fi cloth. I'm sorry to hear about your internet problems but when you get them sorted out you should check out the hangouts more often. I'm there most days at the moment.

JackGriffin: Thank you Jack. It's nice to hear that and nice to see you around these parts again

Here's the progress I've made on my environment piece. I think it got pretty confused once I turned it into a night/dawn piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eeee! your stuff makes me excited!! keep posting! I love it!

SKETCHBOOK
    critiques + feedbacks
    please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jon I never say this but, I FRIKKIN LOVE YOUR SB.
    BEECAUUSEEEE Whenever I get a hothead about my art or think I can't improve, I just come to your SB and then am brought back down to reality about how crappy my own art is. It's a good thing! haha I'm really grateful that theres an artist here thats active and currently improving at a great rate.I love it. So thank you~

In the future I'll be able to return the favors WITH INTEREST when I'm improved a bit more. Sorry for the waiting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hm you go off? the ship is great, wanna make proper critiques in the envi group but im so away from enivs lately, i got my internet solved, well, kind of, so gonna go to hang outs from now on, what had you been doing buddy? want moarr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook. I really like your character-designs, especially the huntress with the falcon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    StephanDraws: Thankya. I'm glad you like her and I still plan on turning her into a more finished version.

Buxu: Hey Buxu, I totally feel you on the environments thing. I was going through a very similar phase for a while, so I understand. I havn't posted in my sb for a while but I've been on the hangouts drawing almost every day so at least there's some build up of work now I'm glad you got your internet fixed. Maybe we'll see each other around on the hangouts!

Pou: Pou, your comment made me smile I'm glad to hear that this sketchbook has a positive effect on you. I heard recently from a friend who saw my work that it made them demotivated because their own work wasn't on the same level and I don't think that any artist wants to hear that! So, thank you. Thank you for the crit in the environment study group aswell because you made some valid points about the story not making a lot of sense. I don't know if I can change most of those things anymore and I found a way to justify the ship's position for myself by saying that it's limping home... after an encounter with something. If the fires only started recently, I think it should be possible for the ship to stay afloat until it reaches the comparative safety of the estuary.

PoringMaster: Haha, good! Get to drawing!

Thanks for all the awesome comments guys, I really appreciate them. Here's a dump of the work that's been saving up since the last post. First one is a probable WIP for the ChoW, and the dinner scene with all the arches is something for the weekend design challenge I do with a mate. The rest are sketches to a greater or lesser extent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the dinner piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooooooooo!! so much great stuff buddy, all those envis and the complexity of your pieces, ah damnnnn jon damn.
    loving your designs too, its so fashionish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buxu: Thanks a lot man. Btw, I won't be on the hangouts this Sunday or for the next week since I'm going to visit a friend. Would love to do it again once I'm back though

Worked out the hawk trainer girl, finished up my ChoW and a bit of Adventure Time fanart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok say it when your back, were gonna have a nice hangout, miss you already buddy.

your last chars are nice and the hawnk trainer is pretty awesome, maybe try to add more color variaty to your stuff, sometimes feel to dull in color. i like the mood of the last vampire, those cartoons are nice hehe.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Buxu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the slickest lineart drawings I`ve seen on CA. You moving up the ladder, big time!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love love love your stuff!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Paladis: Thanks, I'm glad you like them

Pxelslayer: Jeez, thanks a lot man I appreciate it.

Buxu: I'm back! :0 Thanks man. With the hawk girl I specifically wanted to keep the colours desaturated to add to a kind of post apocalyptic mood, I do appreciate your point though. I'll to work on it

Here's a dump of some of the things I've been doing since my last post. I have a bunch of pen/pencil drawings as well. I might get around to taking photos of them soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, esp this and the octopus.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh how I've missed your updates! 1 Week feels like an eternity lol xD...
    I like the ship but it feels like it's a bit distorted as in the perspective is off. As if it's a towel being '' wrapped '' if you know what I mean ( a bit of an exaggeration tho ). It seems to be the same when you make bigger vehicle designs, I dunno if you can see this too.

It's a bit hard for me to point out exactly what the problem is, but if I was to have a wild guess. It would be foreshortening and perspective.
    But I know that you can figure that out on your own ^^, and that's part of the fun of learning.
    It's almost as if the vehicles are '' melting '' at times, damn it. I am sorry, I can't come up with a better explanation atm rofl. Damn me for being Swedish, damn me to hell!

SKETCHBUUK :
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=270242

"A man chooses. A slave obeys."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrkolsyrad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yaay your back

im really digging hat fat dude, seriously man so crazy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yaay your back

im really digging hat fat dude, seriously man so crazy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Buxu: Thanks man, I'm glad you like him

Mrkolsyrad: Hey, thanks so much for your observation. I did eventually notice that error myself, especially in that ship piece. I tend to skimp on perspective when I'm setting up an image so my vehicles often end up looking skewed. I don't know if I'm going to go back and fix the ship because I'm kinda sick of that image at this point but I appreciate your advice nonetheless. You explained it quite well.

TheWalkingBar: Glad you like them man Cheers.

A painting I did a few days ago.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two studies and two portraits from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooft, these are real nice. That second study is great, real nice lighting and you captured it so well. Good job on the imagination attempts as well, getting there for sure! Next time maybe try and use some of the lighting from your studies and put it into the imagination pieces, hard I know, but you might learn a lot!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to sudafreekan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sudafreekan: Thank you and you're quite right with your idea about applying lighting situations from studies in my imagination work. I've just been playing it safe with these first couple of portraits, trying to get my value ranges done and getting a feel for the forms of the face before I start adding harsher shadows and secondary lightsources. More to come though! Thanks again.

Another portrait from imagination and some sketches playing with different ideas for makeup.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 132