Salvador Larroca (Iron man artist) caught in blatant tracing. - Page 10

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I can't really argue with the very experienced drafstmen among us about tracing and composting photos. I'll just save my opinion-making on that for when I'm older.

But as for the game thing, it's just lazy. Not using free textures, that's not what I mean. Bioware's artists gave a disembodied AI a sexy fembot body for no reason, wrote dialogue so that you could teach it sex and even gave it a camel toe, but they couldn't be bothered to create an original drawing for the revelation of an important character's face.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can honestly say that Mass Effect 3 comparison composite is the funniest thing I've seen all week. Bioware made some of my favourite games back in the day, but they've been getting extremely lazy of late, and those copied pictures take the biscuit. Still, less video games equals more time for drawing and painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neverwinter Nights, published ten years ago:
    http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Portrait

You can find similar in Baldur's Gate II published 12 years ago.

The majority of the portraits in their games were done from original photos though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan_B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There was also this where they took someone's planet and used it in another game?

Salvador Larroca (Iron man artist) caught in blatant tracing.

Original artist: http://nameless-designer.deviantart....fset=0#/dzhtel

Thread mentioning this http://www.stick-online.com/boards/i...p?topic=1868.0

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Salvador Larroca (Iron man artist) caught in blatant tracing. Salvador Larroca (Iron man artist) caught in blatant tracing.

Another one from my amiga collection. This image would be batshit insane on its own, but the traced stormtrooper in the lower left is just the icing on the cake.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my God! all these tracings in videogames, all these copying someone else , It's like when you were little and found out that Santa wasn't real haha.
    I'm confused. It's times like these when I just...retreat to my studies ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I understand was that the Walking Dead one was a promotional one done on purpose but the Spoiler Images for Mass Effect 3 is pretty sad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    Salvador Larroca (Iron man artist) caught in blatant tracing.
    I've never cared to play Mass Effect, but I gotta ask. Why would anyone think of ripping off an image (ignoring it's from the Walking Dead) of a rural country home to make a promotional image to a futuristic space exploration game?

If that Shepard guy seriously spent most of the game walking around in wide open country fields, I'd think I'd feel supremely ripped off.

What are we supposed to get from this image? Shepard is walking back home from Jed Clampett's place, having just turned down his offer to go hunting, only to see the evil alien empire blow up his vacation house.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 8th, 2012 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    I've never cared to play Mass Effect, but I gotta ask. Why would anyone think of ripping off an image (ignoring it's from the Walking Dead) of a rural country home to make a promotional image to a futuristic space exploration game?
    Because it was a promotion that was intentionally done.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's just a strange joke, then. What's the point of it?

Walking Dead...Mass Effect?

Jokes are nice, but they need to make sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following

That ad was likely done BY Gamestop, though, too. Have you ever seen their commercials? Their humor is pretty much always flat as hell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cross promotion of one of the hottest/watched shows by that demographic and parody below of the show.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rustikof View Post
    "WE NOW live in a time were Technology now allows ANYONE with a weekend understanding of a computer art program to produce in minutes works of art that rival those of any of the masters in art in human history."

says the student
    I have not been a student since high school but frequently teach.

If you read any of my posts in the past I mention my own students accepting that swiping and tracing over other artists works is becoming acceptable and most now find no moral problem with it, despite my objections to it.(big change in attitude in only 5 short years, they point to artists such as those in this threads subject as reasons why its ok.

I am constantly been shown work that is merely clever use of a filter on a photo, Ill admit there is starting to develop a bit of skill in the students ability to hide their swipes, but like one fellow told me, "we have calculators for math, google for spelling and my iphone for anything I don't want to learn how to draw"

perhaps I am just a old school dinosaur that clings to skills no longer needed in this modernized digital world of "art".

and dont tell me kids like that will never work professionally in games or movies, because they are, they do, and they are a LOT faster then their moral peers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well to be fair there have always been people who were flat out lazy and looking for shortcuts, give them such things and they'll use them. I've yet to meet anyone trying to be an artist, game artist, or any of the like that thinks tracing or ripping off images is ok.

But I guess it's obviously a big world out there.

Last edited by JFierce; March 8th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Select View Post
    and dont tell me kids like that will never work professionally in games or movies, because they are, they do, and they are a LOT faster then their moral peers.
    And a lot worse, if they never learn to actually draw.

Show me someone who becomes a really successful first-class game or movie artist with that approach, and not a minor production grunt...

Any art director worth their salt can spot a photo with a "clever filter" immediately.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    And a lot worse, if they never learn to actually draw.

Show me someone who becomes a really successful first-class game or movie artist with that approach, and not a minor production grunt...

Any art director worth their salt can spot a photo with a "clever filter" immediately.
    Time and $ > Quality in terms of importance for quite a few in a lot of industry.

"dont tell me how you did just get it done" is familiar. maybe just a growing trend, maybe not.

Last edited by Select; March 8th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think its really not nice or in good nature to use this forum as a tool to bring embarassment or ridicule to other people. I think its a poor use of public voice.

Its just not a good deal to be though of as the guy who makes these kinds of threads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When the image is a 50% opacity overlay and perfectly matches a top result google image search where it's highly doubtful he received permission, he deserves any shaming coming to him.

People don't have any issue of threads pointing out stealing other artists work, or even strict referencing. But when it comes to photos there's a no holds bar that some people don't care. If it's your photo or you have the rights go nuts, if not and someone points out what you did oh well. Your own fault for any shaming that goes on and loss of fan base.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post
    i think its really not nice or in good nature to use this forum as a tool to bring embarassment or ridicule to other people. I think its a poor use of public voice.

Its just not a good deal to be though of as the guy who makes these kinds of threads.
    Oh bite me. :p

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryeh View Post

I agree. I have found a LOT of examples and have been trying to bring this sort of thing up. But I believe I've went about it the wrong way. It wasn't to ridicule or belittle artist. It was just to talk about their methods. I believe it'll just hurt the art community as a whole, eventually. It just needs to be brought up subjectively, so we can all see a wide range of methods that are used and then leave it up to the individual to decide if it's ethical. You may get ideas from some unethical methods and find an ethical way of doing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is the right way? I see a consumer angry about a product. Consumer happens to be a fellow artist. Consumer is upset about the content that was paid for.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slightly off topic, but an interesting watch:

Everything is a remix part 1

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

32. The Following User Says Thank You to D.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    What is the right way? I see a consumer angry about a product. Consumer happens to be a fellow artist. Consumer is upset about the content that was paid for.
    Is he angry about the content or the "method" to make the product?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't help but pick at the video. Half paying attention while taking care of a dog so if I make a mistake correct me but....
    Some issues and differences:

That doesn't account the issue of artists ripping other artists as a bad thing. "Oh fashion designers sample from other designers" no big right? But no artist likes to see others ripping off their designs. There's been huge copyright wars on this alone. I remember the threads of J Manley on the Orphaned Work act and ripping off orphaned art and designs.

Then the demographics don't change, some rich upper class person could buy a comic the same as someone working at McDonalds.

That topic also seemed more focused on big companies getting ripped off by knockoffs. Not big companies stealing from individual or little guys.

Tattoo artists don't 'share' their designs. Hell I just came across a case the other day of someone making knockoff designs of artists and that person was called out by countless artists and individuals.

The graph was a bit misleading as well. "Oh my look at these huge differences in profit" when the first item is food. Of course food is the highest item, it's what people consume to live. Clothing is what people have to wear. etc.

The same as I have a feeling the rest was a bit misleading, like I'm sure there are people in most of those industries worried about their IP.

There were other issues but it's not remotely the same and I'm sure many in the art community wouldn't want a low IP industry where anyone can rip off your works, especially in an industry where skillless hacks already rip off others which does hurt business.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowlin View Post
    Is he angry about the content or the "method" to make the product?
    I'm not "angry" about anything. A pretty heavy eye-roll, but that's about it.
    I've already gone over why I decided to point it out, too. And as I said in the VERY FIRST POST, it was not to start a witchhunt at all.

I don't care what people do with this information.
    As some have already said, they don't care. Some do care. That's why it's a discussion. And for that specific reason I feel absolutely zero guilt in starting a thread about it. I'd rather see debate like this rather than another "Can I interview you for my class?!" or "I just can't motivate myself to draw! what is wrong with me!?" thread.

I don't think he should be ashamed of himself for tracing, per se, but he should be ashamed at the laziness involved in line-for-line tracing a googled, copyrighted image and then copy-pasting that same image 4 more times in the same book without trying to change line density or anything. It just looks...cheap.

And I think a flagship title at the biggest comic publisher in the world should have a certain degree of quality for my 5 bucks, honestly.

No regrets.
    I don't want Salvador Larroca to "suffer" or "feel the wrath of the art community". But if it makes him think about the short cuts he takes (which we all do, of course) and how to best implement them without being so transparent, I don't see a problem with that in the least bit.

This is an art site. We critique here.
    That is my critique of his work. He (and you) can ignore it if you wish, but I stand by ever last word.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    I see a consumer angry about a product.
    Ah... So there you go, he's not angry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She may have misread my emotion a bit, but she's still right.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's different levels of angry. Otherwise he wouldn't put his "angry" in quotes. I doubt Dusty has murderous rage and he's going to declare "He's a witch! Burn the witch!" but the "anger" was enough for the original post.

So maybe it's not the "hehe U Mad" you are looking for but I think angry does cover it, just not "furious" "rage" you think.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1