inking in phoroshop

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

inking in phoroshop

these are some techniques you can use while inking in photoshop that i havent seen done so i figured id share if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeorion22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting techniques.

I have a question about inking for comic books. And maybe I can post it here. I hope I'm not hijacking your thread this way, because it's more about the technical printing process of ink drawings.
    When I deliver comic book art to customers, some of them demand the black line art in a separate 1200 DPI file, next to the 300 DPI file witch has the colors.
    That's the traditional way: you print your colors, and then the black is printed over the colors to give it a rich, very sharp feel.
    The problem with this technique is that coloring any of your original black ink lines is hard, because you have to remove any line you color in your 300 DPI color file from the 1200 DPI black file.
    Now, I can do that if the lines are colored in an even color.
    However, sometimes I see other comics where gradients, light effects, complex brushes, semi-opaque colors, etc… are use over the black lines.
    And I don’t know how you could do all that and still manage to remove the black where needed from your 1200 DPI file.
    Maybe you now about this process seeing you seem to know a lot about inking? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I replied to this thread a week ago, but it was never posted. Was it not approved or something?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, I'll have to try this out. Also, I think you meant to say "stippling" rather than "siffling"

Peace

While I may not be much of an artist, I am more than happy to help with MATHEMATICS! I have over 3 years of tutoring experience, and would love to help you out with anything up to and including calculus Also, as a mechanical engineer, if you want feedback on realist sci-fi or other technical critique, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quixotic thanks it would probably help if I used the right word

Floris not sure, if you have a question post on here or send a pm if I can help

This is probably old news but I just realized wacom put out new drivers which give you a lot more control working in photoshop the line variation is really amazing the difference it makes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeorion22 View Post
    Quixotic thanks it would probably help if I used the right word

Floris not sure, if you have a question post on here or send a pm if I can help
    I tried to pm you. But I don't have 10 posts yet, so I'm not allowed.

I'll try again, but I don't have the original post anymore, but it went something like this:

I just read your tutorial. Interesting stuff. Thank you for this.
    It made me think about a problem I’ve been having, and you or somebody here might actually know the answer.
    When I ink comic book, I sometimes have to do it in a 1200 DPI bitmap file, because my customers demands the black line art to be like that.
    The black is printed over the CMYK colors (in a separate 300 DPI file) to give it a rich, very sharp feel.
    The problem with this technique is that coloring any of your original black lines is hard, because you have to remove any line you color in your 300 DPI color file from the 1200 DPI black file.
    Now, I can do that if the lines are colored in an even color.
    However, sometimes I see other comics where gradients, light effects, complex brushes, semi-opaque colors, etc… are use over the black lines.
    And I don’t know how you could do all that and still manage to remove the black where needed from your 1200 DPI file.
    Does anybody have experience with this and willing to explain?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    floris- hey what i think your asking about is color holds. im not sure why your removing any of your line work. color holds can be done in layers which is how i do them when i do. you can save your line art in a channel and load it as a selection and you end up only coloring where the line art is on a layer above it, that way you can use solid color or any pattern or gradient you want. an easy way to think of it is from top to bottom: color holds>line art>trapping layer if you trap> rendered color layer>flats. thats how i organize my layers when doing line work. if you want to leave your e-mail i can send you some pdf files that explain it much better than i can with pictures that i find very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a great little tutorial! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to check this out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    floris- hey what i think your asking about is color holds. im not sure why your removing any of your line work. color holds can be done in layers which is how i do them when i do. you can save your line art in a channel and load it as a selection and you end up only coloring where the line art is on a layer above it, that way you can use solid color or any pattern or gradient you want. an easy way to think of it is from top to bottom: color holds>line art>trapping layer if you trap> rendered color layer>flats. thats how i organize my layers when doing line work. if you want to leave your e-mail i can send you some pdf files that explain it much better than i can with pictures that i find very helpful.
    I made a little image that might make it more clear what I'm trying to say.
    inking in phoroshop

The problem is printers like the line art in huge files of 1200 DPI. I think what your system works only when everything is in the same file. But of course I'm very interested to see how you work! my email is info at mrfart.be . Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Floris- sorry what i was going to send i dont think would help with the way you work, you might want to check out http://www.dave-co.com/gutterzombie/....php?f=5&t=133 it is a forumn for comic book colorist, ive never had a printer want the line art seperatly, always as a flattened tiff. i would check out the link, they can probably explain it much better than i can.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that link.
    I wanted to ask it there, but I can't register on the board. I keep getting some "Fatal error: Call to a member function init() on a non-object in /home/dmccaig/dotcom/gutterzombie/includes/ucp/ucp_register.php on line 165" page.
    Maybe there's something wrong with the server today? I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    floris- if you cant ask on there let me know on here or send a pm and i will ask for you and try to see if i can get the answer to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eva K- glad it could help some and great work on your site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    floris- if you cant ask on there let me know on here or send a pm and i will ask for you and try to see if i can get the answer to you.
    Thanks, I mailed the admin. And he mailed back saying there were some troubles. But these were fixed after a couple of days, and so now I got to post my question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the info!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no problem mad sam,

these were some images i did for an i pad app that i redid trying some different programs for inking. i was surprised on how well artrage can work for inking, its extremly cheap and i think its oil brushes are a lot better than painters

Attached Images Attached Images  

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeorion22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting this tutorial. I was having a little trouble inking in Photoshop but after giving this a look over I think I am going to have an easier time.

Members who have read this thread: 1