Is it possible?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is it possible?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it possible?

Ive been worry about this for a while so please humor me. Is it possible to get worse at drawing, painting, or art in general while trying to get better? Is there a wrong way to go about learning? Sometimes i personally feel like ive gotten worse at some things, like ive been drawing something one way for so long i cant draw it another way. But the way to get better is to practice, can one practice the wrong way?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Also if so please do tell the wrong and right ways or examples etc.

Sketchbook Help me improve! Animations
    “To be an animator you have to have a sense of the dramatic, a feel for acting. You have to be a storyteller.”-Marc Davis
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” ― Mark Twain
    My peeps
    Oghren Care
    Lakai
    Etern
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Is there a wrong way to go about learning?
    Yes, endlessly worrying abut stuff.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Yes, endlessly worrying abut stuff.
    This.
    I've actually seen this happen to a good friend of mine. Ever since high school he has told himself "I am going to be an artist", but more than that, he has told himself "I am not good enough to be an artist".

He has long stretches where he doesn't do any art at all, has severe motivational issues and when he does get motivated, he shit-talks himself into the ground.

I have watched someone who was a 'decent artist' actually get worse over the years because of that.

It is absolutely all his fault.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingal View Post
    Ive been worry about this for a while so please humor me. Is it possible to get worse at drawing, painting, or art in general while trying to get better? Is there a wrong way to go about learning? Sometimes i personally feel like ive gotten worse at some things, like ive been drawing something one way for so long i cant draw it another way. But the way to get better is to practice, can one practice the wrong way?

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Also if so please do tell the wrong and right ways or examples etc.
    Thinking should be an integral part of your practice. If you keep thinking about the changes you make and try to keep the good changes and get rid of the bad then you're unlikely to ever be stuck with a bad change permanently. Maybe you won't recognize a bad change right away but sooner or later, if you keep changing things you will come around to it again and get another chance at fixing it.

Also, if you never change something then you have no chance to improve it.

The right way to practice is to not be afraid of trying new things in case the new thing turns out to be better, and to think about what you're doing so you can eventually tell whether it's better or not.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I took a quick look at your sketchbook. I would say the main problem is you don't have a good understanding of the fundamentals yet, particularly form. You're kind of doing all the things you see examples of, like simple form construction, simple mannequin construction, but without understanding the "whys" behind it. It also looks like you don't work much from life, which will hold you back.

I would recommend much more diligent study with an aim to understanding the drawing process and basic fundamentals. Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1