Old man face. Acrylic and oil
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Icon Old man face. Acrylic and oil

    Hey so I'm trying out this new thing with acrylic where I water it down and try to keep as much of the paper showing through as possible, to get a kind of water color effect.
    Heres the painting


    Name:  FxCam_1330034136200.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  287.2 KB

    There's something bugging me about the eye. I think it's that I'm not doing the eye lid correctly but I'm not sure.

    I'm using this picture as reference but not trying to replicate it.




    EDIT: I've just realized I also probably need a picture picture. I'll try and get one tomorrow.

    Last edited by TheDonQuixotic; February 24th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,168
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonQuixotic View Post
    There's something bugging me about the eye. I think it's that I'm not doing the eye lid correctly but I'm not sure.
    Well, it's completely the wrong shape. That could be a problem. You are still doing eyes as symbols, one arc above, one arc below, a dot in the middle and call it a day. But an eye is actually a 3D sphere with 3D eyelids folded over it. You might want to try getting some reference photos where you can clearly see the model's eye and instead of drawing the flat shape that you see in the photo, try to extrapolate the 3D shapes that are lying under the whole thing. Draw the eyeball under the skin, put construction lines in to show it's a sphere, and then build the eyelids and iris on top of it.

    Until you understand the 3D-ness of what you're drawing it's all just going to be flat shapes. At that point you might as well cut them out of paper.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I can not see the image

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Icon

    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Well, it's completely the wrong shape. That could be a problem. You are still doing eyes as symbols, one arc above, one arc below, a dot in the middle and call it a day. But an eye is actually a 3D sphere with 3D eyelids folded over it. You might want to try getting some reference photos where you can clearly see the model's eye and instead of drawing the flat shape that you see in the photo, try to extrapolate the 3D shapes that are lying under the whole thing. Draw the eyeball under the skin, put construction lines in to show it's a sphere, and then build the eyelids and iris on top of it.

    Until you understand the 3D-ness of what you're drawing it's all just going to be flat shapes. At that point you might as well cut them out of paper.
    Thanks. I actually know what you mean, even though I am apparently having trouble here. The whole symbol thing. I've understood, and I don't usually have too much of a problem when sketching but when working in this wateredown medium I'm not entirely sure how to highlight. Is that what I need to do? Before I painted I sketched out the eyelid etc, but then when I washed over it the acrylic and everything turned into a simplified circle. If I went in and tried to rehighligh the areas where the eyelid was, would that help? I think I'm going to try this in photoshop as a quick way of doing it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kino_PuA View Post
    I can not see the image
    Just click it

    Last edited by TheDonQuixotic; February 24th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5
    TinyBird's Avatar
    TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    HELLsinki, Finland
    Posts
    4,757
    Thanks
    338
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonQuixotic View Post
    Just click it
    And it says invalid attachment. Just attach it again.

    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    sorry. It was working for me. Now I fixed it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Aaaah yes. Now I see what you mean Vin. I took it in photoshop. It's not just a highlights issue. I've also not allowed enough room for the brow. With no room between the brow and eye, it gives no room for the lid and sunken in part of the brow. Thanks

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,168
    Thanks
    751
    Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDonQuixotic View Post
    Aaaah yes. Now I see what you mean Vin. I took it in photoshop. It's not just a highlights issue. I've also not allowed enough room for the brow. With no room between the brow and eye, it gives no room for the lid and sunken in part of the brow. Thanks
    Yeah, accuracy is important too. Another thing is that the eye is quite large, it's nearly as large as the man's mouth and that's way too big.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Yeah, accuracy is important too. Another thing is that the eye is quite large, it's nearly as large as the man's mouth and that's way too big.
    Right. I should have sketched this out more beforehand. If I reduce the eye size I might be able to have enough room for the brow and stuff. However, with the nature of the acrylic, I'm not sure if I can do that without using white paint which might end up ruining the piece, since I was trying experiment with using the color of the paper for lightness. I think I'm going to just do some more experiments with this and then start over.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Existent
    Posts
    326
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    This fixes some of the problems but not all. There's also a problem with the nose and the area under the nose and above the mouth. Also issues with how his wrinkles are rendered. And that mouth is bugging me! Argh. I should have rendered it apart from the beard first. Without the ability to erase I'm going to have to just move on and do another piece like this. Good experiment though. Here's what I corrected in PS.

    This picture is super tiny. Next time I'm going to take a photo with my DSLR. It might be kind of cool to do a mixed media with digital and acrylic. I love the texture of working with real paper, but theres some great flexibility with digital.

    Name:  gs.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  32.7 KB

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •