Thanks

Question Short questionnaire on mood & atmosphere :)

I'm studying Games art at the University of Bolton. UK.
    I am writing my dissertation and I am researching how artists create mood and atmosphere in their artwork.

Throughout my dissertation I hope to compile a lot of information from industry professionals and artists trying to break into the industry to form a pack of information to help other artists.

Below are 8 questions I have compiled to aid my research. Please feel free to answer as many or as few as you like as I understand you have very little free time.

I would really appreciate it!

Nye x

1) How would you gauge your self in the industry? [Pro/Intermediate/Beginner]

2) Do you create both 2D and 3D art and what programs do you use to create your work?

3) Do you use any specific techniques or colour combinations to demonstrate mood and atmosphere in your work?

4) When creating your artwork, what do you personally focus on more, composition, lighting or use of colour?

5) Who are some of your favourite artists and do you try to incorporate their techniques or work methods into your own art?

6) Working digitally, do you use photo textures or any digital only techniques in your work such as colour picking or Photoshop effects?

7) Do you work traditionally? What mediums do you use? Do you alter your techniques and work methods when it comes to composition, lighting and use of colour?

8) When conceptualizing an idea do you do several version of the same image, but with various colour/lighting schemes (serial painting) to explore the feel of the piece?
    To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=NyeAlexandaFrayne;3386553]I'm studying Games art at the University of Bolton. UK.
    I am writing my dissertation and I am researching how artists create mood and atmosphere in their artwork.

Throughout my dissertation I hope to compile a lot of information from industry professionals and artists trying to break into the industry to form a pack of information to help other artists.

Below are 8 questions I have compiled to aid my research. Please feel free to answer as many or as few as you like as I understand you have very little free time.

I would really appreciate it!

Nye x

1) How would you gauge your self in the industry? [Pro/Intermediate/Beginner] I consider myself still a beginner/student. Still trying to kick tail and keep going until I reach my goals (whether it be to be in the 'Game Industry' or another art field)

2) Do you create both 2D and 3D art and what programs do you use to create your work? I mostly work in 2D. The programs consist of Photoshop, Illustrator, and occasional InDesign.

3) Do you use any specific techniques or colour combinations to demonstrate mood and atmosphere in your work? Still working on that.

4) When creating your artwork, what do you personally focus on more, composition, lighting or use of colour? I try to focus more on Composition and Lighting. A good story, will always have at least these two elements in them, among other principles.

5) Who are some of your favourite artists and do you try to incorporate their techniques or work methods into your own art? Kazuo Oga, Bobby Chiu, Kris Pearn, Makoto Shinkai, Maxfield Parrish, Bernini, etc. Yes, I do try to incorporate techniques/work methods into my own.

6) Working digitally, do you use photo textures or any digital only techniques in your work such as colour picking or Photoshop effects? Varies alot.

7) Do you work traditionally? What mediums do you use? Do you alter your techniques and work methods when it comes to composition, lighting and use of colour? Yes, I do work traditionally and I use Watercolor/Gouache mostly. Sometimes I do try to alter, but mostly for now, I just try and understand the tool that I am using and what can be accomplished with it.

8) When conceptualizing an idea do you do several version of the same image, but with various colour/lighting schemes (serial painting) to explore the feel of the piece? Not sure, never really done this before this type of work method before.
    Last edited by Monkabit; February 24th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkabit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Nick! Really appreciate it!

Cant thank you enough! The more feedback i get, the more i can give back from the research so thanks.

x
    My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Thanks
    over 200 views and only 1 response... shame on you CA haha.

This is now on the second page on cgsociety, going to be outdone by them? would have thought this was more of a 2D sided set of questions too.
    My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    1) How would you gauge your self in the industry? [Pro/Intermediate/Beginner] Well, I don't feel like I really belong to the "industry." That said, I'm an art student, but I work by commission and I sell prints and originals of my work as well. I guess in that way I'm a "professional" but it's not my main source of income.

2) Do you create both 2D and 3D art and what programs do you use to create your work? 2D only as of now. For digital art I use Photoshop and Corel Painter.

3) Do you use any specific techniques or colour combinations to demonstrate mood and atmosphere in your work? The thing is that both atmosphere and mood are incredibly ambiguous terms that refer to a huge assortment of things. The technique and color scheme will coincide with the mood and atmosphere that I'm trying to convey. Edge control generally helps atmosphere. Mood is more of a gut thing, but so is atmosphere when it comes down to it. The bottom line, however, is that the medium and technique have to fit the mood and pace of the piece, or else it just doesn't work.

4) When creating your artwork, what do you personally focus on more, composition, lighting or use of colour? All of the above. In a sense they're all the same. Color is in service to value which is in service to the overall composition. I guess in this way I do focus on the composition, but there's no real hierarchy of importance. I focus on the piece as a whole.

5) Who are some of your favourite artists and do you try to incorporate their techniques or work methods into your own art? I do try to learn from my influences, and I'll occasionally imitate them but rarely is it a conscious decision. Some of my influences include: Beksinski, Gustav Dore, Harry Clarke, Beardsley, Mucha, Klimt, Aaron Horkey, John Dyer Baizley, Storm Thorgerson, Android Jones, Min Yum, Daniol C, Craig Mullins, Vania Zouravliov, Alex Grey, HR Giger, Sargent, Bougerau, Rembrandt, Valazquez, Henry Yan, and many, many more.

6) Working digitally, do you use photo textures or any digital only techniques in your work such as colour picking or Photoshop effects? Of course I do. If I wasn't I wouldn't be taking full advantage of the medium. Color picking isn't anything that is worth mentioning. It's a necessity in Photoshop, unless you are using swatches, due to the fact that it lacks a physical palette. If you mean color picking from photographs or other paintings, then no. And I'm quite fond of using photo textures in my digital work, but I don't do it always.

7) Do you work traditionally? What mediums do you use? Do you alter your techniques and work methods when it comes to composition, lighting and use of colour? Yes, I use pen/brush/ink, graphite, charcoal, conte, oils, acrylics, watercolor, airbrush, marker, gouache, and screen printing. Of course the technique is altered to fit the given medium, but not usually because of the composition. The media may vary due to the composition, however, because, like I said earlier, the media has to fit the mood of the piece, or else it won't work.

8) When conceptualizing an idea do you do several version of the same image, but with various colour/lighting schemes (serial painting) to explore the feel of the piece? In the initial stages, yes, but I've never done a series of finished pieces like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NyeAlexandaFrayne View Post
    over 200 views and only 1 response... shame on you CA haha.

This is now on the second page on cgsociety, going to be outdone by them? would have thought this was more of a 2D sided set of questions too.
    We get several school assignment questionnaire-type posts every week. People get burned out.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Jacob,

Thanks man! really appreciate it! I understand that these questions are pretty broad, and can probably only be answered by kind of wishy washy responses as they do not go into the detail needed really.

No one else has mentioned edge control from my other sources, and its something had i hadn't considered tbh, so thanks for bringing that up!

also, cheers for the monstrous list of artists too haha

@ Elwell,

Yea i know, there usually is at least one floating about. I didn't expect much of a response from posting it up on forums but some of the topics raised other places has been great and opened up a lot of areas i had not thought of

Emails have been my main source and the response to them has been amazing
    My Sketchbook-

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 334 Posts
    I'm pretty new to the industry but could you tell me in return how you are finding the course at bolton? Are you finding it worth the fees? A lot of people have asked me about that course but I don't know much about it.

1) How would you gauge your self in the industry? [Pro/Intermediate/Beginner]
    Beginner, I've only done a couple of serious jobs so far.

2) Do you create both 2D and 3D art and what programs do you use to create your work?

Just 2d, but I use 3d for a basis for architectural paintings That is Photoshop CS5, and sketchup/3ds max/vray.

3) Do you use any specific techniques or colour combinations to demonstrate mood and atmosphere in your work?
    Not really one or two, I like to bring in certain colour combinations and harmonies that might bring about some feeling but there's no real recipes, I've absorbed so much colour theory that I hope it just comes across without me having to think about it consciously.

4) When creating your artwork, what do you personally focus on more, composition, lighting or use of colour?
    I have a little personal scale I always follow for illustration - story > composition > values > colour > rendering. This matches what I think is important in a piece to me. I don't think any of the final stages without the first makes for a good painting, and it makes for a good order to work in. I really like this answer given by Jeffrey Jones to George Pratt on the subject: "I asked him what was more important, color or value. He thought for a moment and laughed, “You know the answer to that, George. It’s all important.”"

5) Who are some of your favourite artists and do you try to incorporate their techniques or work methods into your own art?
    It changes a lot, but Sargent, Boldini, Menzel, Van Dyck, Torrents Llado, Kryzhitsky, Shishkin, Harold Speed, Leyendecker, Russel Flint, Solomon J Solomon, Pasini, Gerome, Bouguereau, Jeffrey Jones, Michelangelo, Schmid, Meseldzija all come to my head. I try and study them, maybe to incorporate something of their own into my work but usually just because I enjoy exploring how they worked.

6) Working digitally, do you use photo textures or any digital only techniques in your work such as colour picking or Photoshop effects?
    Totally, I abuse the hell of of Photoshop to get every little bit of functionality out of it. Photo textures if I'm strapped for time, but they don't really match what I want and I'd have to spend time simplifying them down. If you mean colour picking photos and Photoshop filters then no, but because they are mostly terrible filters and just don't get a good result much of the time, not because of following any unwritten rules.

7) Do you work traditionally? What mediums do you use? Do you alter your techniques and work methods when it comes to composition, lighting and use of colour?
    Not for work. Digital suits all my needs better, I use pencils to observe from life and sometimes use those studies to inform my paintings but rarely.

8) When conceptualizing an idea do you do several version of the same image, but with various colour/lighting schemes (serial painting) to explore the feel of the piece?
    Not really, I do several versions from different angles to find what the client wants but rarely different colour/lighting schemes, it depends.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post: