Looking at other awesome artists discourages you.
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking at other awesome artists discourages you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking at other awesome artists discourages you.

Hi Guys,

This has probably been posted a million times and it's fairly common information, but i thought i'd share anyways. I think there's a lot of people out there who get really discouraged whenever they see an artist who is very skilled. It's intimidating to many, and to some it even discourages them from even picking up a pencil. This mindset is especially prevalent when you're in the beginner stages like me.

What's the usual response? well you avoid looking at artists like that, or comparing yourself to them. You go into the usual motions, "Well i have my own style" or "they started at a very young age" and the big one "If only i was born with that kind of talent". i'm certain a lot of people are familiar with these, chances are you might've used one at some point. If i sat down today, i could probably write a book of reasons why i should just throw in the towel. But it doesn't have to be this way at all.

Just a little while ago i had a bit of an epiphany. Every artist that blows your mind away started where you currently are. Which for me, has changed everything. Whenever i look at art which blows me away, it just makes me think "Well hell, i can reach that". The awesome artists you know didn't come out of the womb with a brush and pencil in their hand. It took them years of grinding to get where they are. Don't avoid great art, let it fuel the fire, surround yourself with excellence. Keep in mind talent has little to do with it, drive has everything to do with it.

The people who are making those awesome CGs and paintings are the ones who didn't use the "Well if only--" card. They're to busy getting things done. As you make this journey, you'll also come to realize something as well. A lot of artists you originally thought were at the "finish line", really aren't. So keep in mind this is a craft that takes a lifetime to master. We're all just scaling a cliff wall to reach the top. It's worth the climb, i assure you, the view is beautiful up there.

So stop getting discouraged, start getting encouraged.

Thanks for your time,
    Ixallus

Last edited by Ixallus; February 23rd, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Title made me think this was going to be some bullshit news article.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Usually, people like that I want to make friends with and suck up so I can learn as much as I can... unless they turn out to be total jerks on a personal level, which happens on occasion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Usually, people like that I want to make friends with and suck up so I can learn as much as I can... unless they turn out to be total jerks on a personal level, which happens on occasion.
    I like to think most Artists would be down to earth. It's a very humbling profession in my opinion. I guess that's not always the case

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't compare your work to others' work.

Compare your current work to your own work from a year or five ago. If you see improvement, you are doing it right and should be proud.

Every artist has their strengths and weaknesses. Five years from now, if you progress and learn, you'll be looking at the work by people you've been envying and noticing all sorts of weak spots and real strengths that you are unaware of now. And you can be sure they all experience the same thing. There hasn't been an artist born who doesn't wish he'd have some other artist's skill, in a sort of a giant rock-paper-scissors game.

Just look at everyone's work and be inspired. Or identify things you'd like to be able to do and learn to do them. Preferably, do both.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Never seen you before, but that's an interesting avatar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Never seen you before, but that's an interesting avatar.
    It's a Screen Cap of the Battle Menu from Final Fantasy 8. I thought it'd be clever since there's an ability you can use in that game called "Draw". A few people missed that and just focused on the "Attack - GF" part of it.

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this post - I must say it is overwhelming sometimes to see how amazing some artists are - but you are totally right, we all have to start somewhere. And damn it I'm not giving up - I want to one day be an artist that can inspire other people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every time I get discouraged when I look at other artists work (and how they are so much better than mine), I just remember who I'm doing my art for: myself. I'm not painting/drawing/studying to impress anybody else. It's for me. I look at what they did, figure out how they did it, decide if it fits in with what I do and learn from it.

But, I always remember that I paint for myself and the work that I like. I'm fortunate enough that this coincides with what other people like and that they are willing to give me money for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This post is filled with the right attitude toward such a situation. It's like being a couple of warriors on a battlefield, with the whole "There's always someone better" view. In the end it's a bit heartwarming.

Alternatively, sports. Double Alternatively, Hajime no Ippo.

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; February 25th, 2012 at 03:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixallus View Post
    It's a Screen Cap of the Battle Menu from Final Fantasy 8. I thought it'd be clever since there's an ability you can use in that game called "Draw". A few people missed that and just focused on the "Attack - GF" part of it.
    Yes yes. That is clever.

8 was a decent game, despite having a really stupid story.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes yes. That is clever.

8 was a decent game, despite having a really stupid story.
    You're not going to find one past 6 that doesn't have one, with the most forgivable being 12 ('till you remember Vahn. And that he was a last minute addition somehow).

Last edited by ArtsySiridean; February 25th, 2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: *typo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsySiridean View Post
    You're not going to fine one past 6 that doesn't have one, with the most forgivable being 12 ('till you remember Vahn. And that he was a last minute addition somehow).
    Vahn is a great man sir, so i'll have you recant that statement. Clearly only someone with great intelligence would wear Plate Greaves and then leave his chest completely exposed like Aladdin. He's the smartest warrior in Damascus, everyone knows all the vital of organs are all located in the shins

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I used to feel like that before I discovered the sketchbook threads here and was allowed a window into the progression of some of my favorite artists. Inversely, it's inspiring to see the beginning of a good artist's journey you realize that you're on the right track as long as you put in a ton of effort. Now I always keep an inspiring artwork open on my computer while I'm painting so that I can look at it as a guide for how much I want to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're not going to find one past 6 that doesn't have one, with the most forgivable being 12 ('till you remember Vahn. And that he was a last minute addition somehow).
    After watching spoonys reviews of final fantasy 8,10 and 10-2 (sereiously 10-2 what the fuck) I have a deep hatred for most of final fantasy especially as I had some really good memories of playing what I think was either 5 or 6 cant remember although I am interested in playing 7.
    Sorry went on a bit of a rant there on topic though when I see art thats better than mine im usually the complete opposite as im usually like fuck if they can get that good at it so I can I! so yeah its sort of a backwards motivator for me as it makes me feel as if my art is utter shit but at the same time makes me want to get better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vahn is a great man sir, so i'll have you recant that statement. Clearly only someone with great intelligence would wear Plate Greaves and then leave his chest completely exposed like Aladdin. He's the smartest warrior in Damascus, everyone knows all the vital of organs are all located in the shins
    Vaan was tame compared to the 2 meters tall rabbit girl wearing a bikini and high heels on the desert. Not that I'm complaining, she looked good, so did Vaan ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like to think most Artists would be down to earth. It's a very humbling profession in my opinion. I guess that's not always the case
    I used to think that as well., Having met a few people recently - especially online, changed my opinion. Luckily, creeps tend to be a minority. There's a lot of capable *and* nice people out there.

Mostly just sayin', if someone's a creep and treats you shitty, even if they have skills, it's not worth it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,203 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    FF9 was pretty good until they got to the other planet and the writers either lost their medication or upped their LSD intake or both.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    FF9 was pretty good until they got to the other planet and the writers either lost their medication or upped their LSD intake or both.
    To be honest I think square enix is high 24/7 I mean anyone who can think this is a threatening villian has to be on some kind of drug.
    What scares me though is I hate 10 and 10-2 with a passion and yet fans of those games hate the newest ones its scary how the devs have managed to take the series as low as possible and then go lower.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    Dude's got a cowlick like nobody's business, damn.

As for the actual topic, looking at good art doesn't discourage me, it almost always inspires me. I just try to keep in perspective the whole time-it-took-for-them-to-get-there thing. I think: you know, these people have been drawing for a decade or more in some cases, there's a reason they're so good and there's nothing but time & effort stopping me from being my own version of that good.

I have a lot of extra responsibilities and don't have the luxury of drawing being my main focus. But I'm only 23, and life is (hopefully) long. I'm sure that even if I draw just fifteen minutes every day til I'm 33, that's still almost 1000 hours of practice and I'm sure to be tons better than I am now. (I do more than 15 minutes a day, but just an example.)

My main issue is just learning to be okay with the difference between what I imagine and what I create. It's all well and good to acknowledge that there'll be a difference, but to avoid that depressing feeling when things just won't work at all, because you don't yet have the knowledge... that's hard.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, 10 was pretty bad. But not nearly as much as 8 in my opinion. (I need to complete 9, and I haven't cared for 12 or 13, despite owning them.)

I disagree with you in the case of 7, but that might just be the nostalgia talking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, 10 was pretty bad. But not nearly as much as 8 in my opinion. (I need to complete 9, and I haven't cared for 12 or 13, despite owning them.)

I disagree with you in the case of 7, but that might just be the nostalgia talking.
    From what ive heard about ff7 it sounds like it has a pretty good story (although i am not looking forward to thecrossdressing part SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK!)
    by the way this aught to bring back some nightmares
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc
    Mark hamill you are not

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how this thread got derail by the avatar.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Flashback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's interesting, the original post definitely hit the mark when it comes to the way people react to other artists work. Even people in a classroom with artists of varying skill levels succumb to these feelings when looking at each others work. Sometimes you also hit walls when you draw, getting depressed because it seems like you haven't learned as much as other people who have been at this as long as you have, I guess it's something you have to work through and people learn at different paces so you shouldn't get discouraged.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wired: Why Do Some People Learn Faster

Maybe we all got too much praise as kids!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fine, fine. I'll be on topic this time.

Honestly that's a terrible attitude to have. I don't know where, but there's gotta be a discernible point where some people stop being enamored by great artists (the ones that make them interested in art in the first place) and instead become intimidated and discouraged by those same people.

It has to be a psychological, social, or developmental thing. I'm betting on the second one.

Last edited by Psychotime; February 27th, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was a very interesting article Medelo, thanks for sharing it. I think having a good attitude and wanting to learn from your mistakes is important, being a beginner I think this i what we should be doing the most starting out and continuing to do so as time goes on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KT View Post
    That was a very interesting article Medelo, thanks for sharing it. I think having a good attitude and wanting to learn from your mistakes is important, being a beginner I think this i what we should be doing the most starting out and continuing to do so as time goes on.
    Agreed, i just read the article myself. Thanks for the link Medelo, it was very insightful. I've heard a little bit about the growth mindset, but haven't found such a lengthy article about it yet.

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never really felt discouraged in all honesty.
    I always said talent is what gives you and edge but I have realised that saying "that person has natural talent and I cant get to his level" is just an excuse not to try and do your best.

Sure some one who has talent might progress faster but anyone who is exceptional and recognized as an accomplished artist did not get there with talent alone but with raw hard work.

Even people who cannot draw a straight line to begin with or even a decent circle were to just put in the hard work , the tears , the sweat , the blood , the soul the hours.
    The mental barrier you put on your mind that person is too talented will be a strong as and wet paper bag.

So I say will you let yourself down an sink into a hole you dug yourself or will you build a foundation and slowly rise towards the stars.

~ Hard work beats wasted talent.

Doing a little soul searching ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Well hell, i can reach that".

what if we cant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3