Shared Original Superhero World

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shared Original Superhero World

I made the mistake (will not really a mistake) of reading an article at io9.com http://io9.com/5878720/how-to-create...ero-or-villain and started thinking about creating a world for superheroes. Thus making me wonder if anyone wanted to do a shared world.

The idea is for a new and original take on superheroes and the world they live in.

So far I've found a group of 7. Right now we're looking for a few artist to join our group. We've got a great world coming together and some amazing scripts being created!

Comment if you want to know more or drop me an email at magicalbookworm@gmx.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magicalbookworm View Post
    The idea is for a new and original take on superheroes and the world they live in.
    Well, talk is cheap... dare to actually speak further about how this is "new and original"? Don't worry, we won't steal your idea.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good question!

Our world well have taken a turn around the 1960's where in our world there was a massive breakthroughs in two medical fields: Genetic engineering and cybernetics.

Of course the technology was far to much money to continue and couldn't even dare touch every single person so the tech was abandoned. But the damage was done. The knowledge of gene manipulation was out there.

Around 2010-2012 super heroes started showing up. Through genetic creation, by accident, by a parent that had their genes altered etc.

We have four title characters right now and one artist that is with the group. We're looking for more creators to help with the characters and most of all drawing!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,056 Times in 945 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, cool! I am in!
    I gonna paint you whatever you need!
    Just let me know when i can get started!
    Nope, just kidding.

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Our world well have taken a turn around the 1960's where in our world there was a massive breakthroughs in two medical fields: Genetic engineering and cybernetics.

Of course the technology was far to much money to continue and couldn't even dare touch every single person so the tech was abandoned. But the damage was done. The knowledge of gene manipulation was out there.

Around 2010-2012 super heroes started showing up. Through genetic creation, by accident, by a parent that had their genes altered etc.
    Okay, so basically there's nothing very new or original. I could see the first part be interesting, as in how extreme genetic engineering and cybernetics would have affected the people and politics in 60's (super hippies!) with the story done in the view and knowledge of today (as opposed to the general superheroes and comics done actually in 60's) but then that's abandoned, and you get the basic fare of superheroes. I mean there's so many superheroes that have gotten their start via genetic mishaps (like seriously that was even explored in the first Hulk movie, where Bruce Banner got his "Hulk-genes" because his dad had experimented on himself while trying to advance what the hell gene stuff he was doing in 1970 and then Bruce's genes got activated in the modern times).

How does the stuff you told actually affect the world you are creating?

Last edited by TinyBird; February 24th, 2012 at 03:14 AM.
    Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Are you just doing this for fun or are you actually wanting to make a product that is taken seriously with this venture?

Because depending on your answer, you will get different responses.

Right now, I am assuming you are just doing this for fun and because of that I think some of the responses here aren't really necessary. If you are, however, actually doing something serious and trying to make a product that you can sell, then the critiques will be useful for your success.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Are you just doing this for fun or are you actually wanting to make a product that is taken seriously with this venture?

Because depending on your answer, you will get different responses.

Right now, I am assuming you are just doing this for fun and because of that I think some of the responses here aren't really necessary. If you are, however, actually doing something serious and trying to make a product that you can sell, then the critiques will be useful for your success.
    The end game for the group is to publish the comics, be it in print or as some form of ebook. It just might take a while to get to that point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Okay, so basically there's nothing very new or original. I could see the first part be interesting, as in how extreme genetic engineering and cybernetics would have affected the people and politics in 60's (super hippies!) with the story done in the view and knowledge of today (as opposed to the general superheroes and comics done actually in 60's) but then that's abandoned, and you get the basic fare of superheroes. I mean there's so many superheroes that have gotten their start via genetic mishaps (like seriously that was even explored in the first Hulk movie, where Bruce Banner got his "Hulk-genes" because his dad had experimented on himself while trying to advance what the hell gene stuff he was doing in 1970 and then Bruce's genes got activated in the modern times).

How does the stuff you told actually affect the world you are creating?
    What we have so far feels very different then what is out there (at least for me). I think what will make the world original will be the characters that populate the world and most of all the heroes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what will make the world original will be the characters that populate the world and most of all the heroes.
    And I asked what makes this new and original, and you told about genetic manipulation in 60's. So... what makes the characters and your take on them original and new (Their modus operandi? Politics and how the world sees these heroes? Their powers/appearance?)? I mean I like superhero comics and I am genuinely interested (if also doubtful) on the concept but all you say is very vague generalities that don't actually tell anything of the concept or give any reasons for people to get interested.

If you want to pitch this idea somewhere, I would suggest you to come up with a short and condensed, well, pitch that gives the basic idea of the thing or at least tells what would be the interesting and new part in the concept. Like, uh... "The Authority is a diverse superhero group that works completely above the law and politics and will save the world(s) even if they have to kill everyone to do it", that type of thing where people can see the potential and get interested. Right now from what you have told me your pitch would be more like "There was gene experimentation, and now there's superheroes".

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And I asked what makes this new and original, and you told about genetic manipulation in 60's. So... what makes the characters and your take on them original and new (Their modus operandi? Politics and how the world sees these heroes? Their powers/appearance?)? I mean I like superhero comics and I am genuinely interested (if also doubtful) on the concept but all you say is very vague generalities that don't actually tell anything of the concept or give any reasons for people to get interested.

If you want to pitch this idea somewhere, I would suggest you to come up with a short and condensed, well, pitch that gives the basic idea of the thing or at least tells what would be the interesting and new part in the concept. Like, uh... "The Authority is a diverse superhero group that works completely above the law and politics and will save the world(s) even if they have to kill everyone to do it", that type of thing where people can see the potential and get interested. Right now from what you have told me your pitch would be more like "There was gene experimentation, and now there's superheroes".
    The world is just designed to be an exaggerated version of our world to allow whatever themes or ideas our writers have to be explored with the individual characters.

Of course it would be easier to pitch signal characters rather then an entire world, but I don't want to get into characters here.

Last edited by magicalbookworm; February 25th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So basically you can't tell anything what's new or original in this concept? Not a good sign.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TinyBird has a point about it not being terribly original, its not exactly the same as any thing else I can think of, but not that different either, what I'm hearing is:
    "An alternate 2012 where super heroes exist"
    Although I don't know a bunch about it, I think that with a little tweaking it could be a really great idea, hell, there are bunches of webcomics out there that are really popular, there's no reason yours shouldn't be. All you need to do is find a niche.
    Another thing is that you really need to have a solid story, write/plan it out before you put pen to paper, don't go into this half cocked.
    A book I'd recomend is: How not to write a novel, I know you're not writing a novel, but a lot of writing skills are transferable.
    Now, I'm not a proper author, but I've been writing for a couple of years, and while I do have one poem published, I wouldn't call myself professional by any standard. I do know however, that coming up with real-seeming characters you can empathise with that inhabit a solid, believable world is not easy.
    As far as my helping you out, my artwork is not nearly good enough, nor do I have the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So basically you can't tell anything what's new or original in this concept? Not a good sign.
    I have over 2000 post on the forum that created this world, heroes and everything. Posting every single detail about the world here isn't worth the effort. I've given a basic and yes thin overview of the world, but I won't post everything in an open forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    TinyBird has a point about it not being terribly original, its not exactly the same as any thing else I can think of, but not that different either, what I'm hearing is:
    "An alternate 2012 where super heroes exist"
    Although I don't know a bunch about it, I think that with a little tweaking it could be a really great idea, hell, there are bunches of webcomics out there that are really popular, there's no reason yours shouldn't be. All you need to do is find a niche.
    Another thing is that you really need to have a solid story, write/plan it out before you put pen to paper, don't go into this half cocked.
    A book I'd recomend is: How not to write a novel, I know you're not writing a novel, but a lot of writing skills are transferable.
    Now, I'm not a proper author, but I've been writing for a couple of years, and while I do have one poem published, I wouldn't call myself professional by any standard. I do know however, that coming up with real-seeming characters you can empathise with that inhabit a solid, believable world is not easy.
    As far as my helping you out, my artwork is not nearly good enough, nor do I have the time.
    I'm a novelist. I might not be published, but I've written enough new worlds, new characters to know where I'm coming from

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have over 2000 post on the forum that created this world, heroes and everything. Posting every single detail about the world here isn't worth the effort. I've given a basic and yes thin overview of the world, but I won't post everything in an open forum.
    And I'm not asking you to post every single detail, sheesh. I'm just asking what is original and new in this concept, since you feel confident enough to claim it is new/original/great/amazing. I'm not asking whole plot/character/universe recap, just couple facts that tell something what's original. We can't access your forum so we could look, so you gotta throw a bone here. I don't understand what is so hard with this. (Not to mention you are completely new here.)

And if explaining what is new or original really does require you to post every single detail of everything, then I can't but feel that there's something wrong with this.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how about a sci fi concept about OMG, I dipped my toes into too much fertilizer and my nails started growing, made superpea-pods which then metamorphosed into capered super flutterflies... Honey, I unshrunk my toes and they grew these little balls. Then I dip them in treated superhooman poop and they started to glitter and turned into mini aliens who came to save us from ourselves!

At least try to turn things on their head to see what they look like. There are three and a half million run of the mill sci-fi stories out there of the kind you just described.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a novelist. I might not be published, but I've written enough new worlds, new characters to know where I'm coming from
    Good to know, I just wanted to tell you because often people get lost in the drawing when it comes to comic books, and they forget about the story.
    All the best.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to know, I just wanted to tell you because often people get lost in the drawing when it comes to comic books, and they forget about the story.
    All the best.
    Thanks, writing and creating new worlds is something I always love to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All the best.
    So much truth to this statement.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The end game for the group is to publish the comics, be it in print or as some form of ebook. It just might take a while to get to that point.
    Just some random thoughts:
    1. Jason Bourne is not entirely different from all the movies before it but it is really successful. So I think even if the universe is not entirely new & original, the comics can still work (given that the story, the characters, the design etc are good)

2. when the comics is a commercial one and there are many people involved in the project, some potential legal issues may arise e.g who owns the rights?

J

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 833 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. Back story/world building isn't that important if it's not a huge part of the plot. If you're just looking for an excuse to have people with super powers run around then any old backstory will do. (Then again, the more interesting ideas the better.) As long as you have a solid story and characters you could make it work in almost any setting.

That said though, I do agree with tinybird too. If you want to make people excited about this you're going to need to figure out how to pitch it in a way that tells the gist of the story and that also makes people interested. Most people below a certain age will probably be game as soon as you mention the word "superhero", but people with a bit more experience, especially publishers, probably won't be so easy to convince.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by _ J View Post
    Just some random thoughts:
    1. Jason Bourne is not entirely different from all the movies before it but it is really successful. So I think even if the universe is not entirely new & original, the comics can still work (given that the story, the characters, the design etc are good)

2. when the comics is a commercial one and there are many people involved in the project, some potential legal issues may arise e.g who owns the rights?

J
    I have a copyright post on the board containing what happens if the board decides to go their own way to what happens if one person leaves. Basic of course. I'm sure that once we get farther a true legal document will have to be drawn up.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.