C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Lhune Prefer the Gorilla type, especially with those trees on it back/shoulders, living mountain - epic scale! Makes me think that I wish I'd thought of that

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Diving back in after a long hiatus!

Name:  elemental WIP.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  188.1 KB

It looks like DefiledVisions and I are thinking along similar lines (but his are better). It's nice to be participating again- I'm loving a lot of what I've seen so far!

Mine's an Earth Elemental, I'll point out needlessly. Suggestions and crits are not only encouraged, but desperately needed.

Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lhune I love your ox concept. The gesture / pose also fits the theme very well.

I don't think the gorilla and rhino fit the temperament of the Earth Elemental because they are violent creatures. To me the earth is peaceful, nurturing but sturdy and powerful. The ox would be an excellent choice

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Lhune, you should totally go with the gorilla. I love the idea of it being covered with a bunch of ecosystems.

My fire concept so far, it's supposed to be made out of charcoal. It looked a lot cooler in my head... I guess I'll go work on it some more. :/

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpiralHorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spiralhorn, I can see what you're going for, and it's awesome!

My DeviantArt gallery

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Thanks for the input guys. I don't like where I'm going with this at all though; I'm giving it too much detail and with all the different textures and ecosystems it's hard to make it look like a unified whole. Not to mention that the values are kind of all over the place. Thinking about what I'll do with this one; I might start over or do something different still. Might try to stylize it to keep it more simple but the message still strong enough. I do like the design, I just don't like the way I'm handling it right now.

T-rex for size comparison (though he's a bit too big still at the moment)!

Last edited by Lhune; February 27th, 2012 at 04:01 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Diggin all the awesome ideas guys. Love love urs especially Vision. Keep up the good work Abee, U got variety there.

Thanks
    Lhune: I love your concept- keep at it! I think what's happening is, without a scale indicator, it looks a bit like an ape-sized ape with model trees on it. That makes it harder for the ecosystems to blend, since they look like they're right next to one another and not spread across a mile or two of landscape.

To get across the massive scale of the beast, you might want to drop the horizon line down towards where your Trex's eye level would be. Also, roughening up the silhouette a bit might help- make it look less like an ape with a landscape on it, and more like a massive ambulatory landscape that happens to be ape-shaped (if that makes any sense!)

Great great concept!

My DeviantArt gallery

Thanks
    @ ashess : Those are just the shapes, the materials I'll add when I'm painting. The bearboar/elephant is earth. Burrowing animal, tusks, brawn etc. Thanks

Blocking in colors + multiply layers
    values are all over the place. no texture yet, but now I can start painting!
    Firedogcat will have a mane of fire.
    Name:  EarthElemental022712.png
Views: 722
Size:  426.4 KB
    Name:  FireElemental022712.png
Views: 720
Size:  429.2 KB

Twitter|Tumblr|CGhub|DeviantArt|Blog||Mick.MonsieurBeefy@gmail.com

available for work!

Thanks
    @Lhune- I think it looks great. but ye, maybe block in larger arease first?

@monsieur-beefy -ah, I see it now. changing the color helps! fire, im not too sure about. but thats the hard one!

so for water I was thinking jellos... they so pretty
    but so far, its just a jello.. haha. not sure what to do about it.
    Name:  elementwater.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  jelly.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  67.6 KB

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,684 Times in 641 Posts
    Critinator!!!
    Moinsieur-Beefy: mind the humanoid anatomy, still something I tend to lean towards a bit to often. But it is looking pretty neat so far.

Lhune: cool to see you in cow, saw a lot of your creatures in the Creature Thread, quite impressive stuff. Your earth gorilla's looking pretty neat atm. I like the way the head is, perhaps if you added some of those textures along it's back and had the coniferous ecosystem mix with the mountainous stuff a bit more it may help to unify the design, basically try not to get caught up in seaparating the ecosystems too much. Looking forward to the final result.

SpiralHorn: Looking neat atm, push the flames a bit more and add a bit more of a less uniform texture to the hide of the creature and use some cooler hues when highlighting to contrast with the orange.

Grumbleputty: reminds me a bit of the Grovebacks in that Alien Planet documentry. Try to add a bit more creature and bit less plant, although the creature is to be made ofthe desired element trynot to venture too much towards a walking plant.

Ironbyte: Nice thumb work atm. Try to push the lighting in your painting atm, it doesn't seem too much like it's made of fire rather than something that is just naturally coloured like that.

Buhardilla: Go easy on the smudge tool, it makes the fire look too unnatural, sometimes the simpler the better, if you really feel stuck try doing some studies of fire to help yourself understand how the flames behave. Also note that fire (more commonly) is closer to an orange rather than red & yellow.

aburnier: nice start, def need to push the 'made of water' aspect a bit further. Perhaps some dripping throughout it's body making it look as if it's actually water. I'd also experiment with some features in the design. How would it look without eyes? Or if it had larger fins on it's back and elbow? Try some variations and see how things look before settling on a design.

Razorleaf: looks like a neat creature. I think a better angle would help showcase it's design, as it is kinda angled from the back a little too much. Also add a little contrast cuz the values on the creature are similar to the background.

Abee: nice collection of silhos here. at this stage it is rater difficult to read, but for silhouettes it is what you see and not what others see. Looking forward to some progress on these.

Nightherald: it is bordering on humanoid,maybe if you added more animal like limbs and maybe a different head. And also if you made it a quadruped/hexapod, rather than standing upright.

Some progress on my fire elemental. atm the lava cracking fire stuff is a little hard to read at this size, will need to push it a bit so it shows better without ruining the form. Still lots to do, but I'm liking my progress so far. Still need too push the design though. Also will need to play with the environment a bit as well, Ipulled up some reference images and noticed there is still a fair amount of cooler colours despite all the fire flame stuff!
    I may not be able to complete all four so I'll try for at least two. I could try for three, but that'll look odd since I'd be missing just the one. So we'll keep it at either one, two, or four. My earth elemental is more along the lines of the topic, since my air and water elementals look like they just live in their respective environments rather than being made of them, will experiment a bit here and there to see if I can create something different. Man, I'm glad this is a two weeker
    Name:  Pyradens copy.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  405.0 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've got a long way to go, but I thought I'd post a WiP. Seems I'm having a different approach then everyone else... this seems to be a common (and unfortunate) problem for me lately.

Thanks
    Lots of fantastic concepts in here, I love seeing everyone's ideas at how they tackle this problem. I think my gulper-eel snake flying fire thing's gonna do the air-mamba to get around.

'Nother hour or so on mine, gonna clean it up, crits definitely welcome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,858 Times in 415 Posts
    Rob and DV you guys are my heroes at the moment.

As for some of you other fine artists, your designs are looking great so far, but there seems to be a lot stiffness going around. If I may offer my humble advice, try drawing what you've got in a more dynamic pose, especially considering these are creatures based on the elements which are always in motion, (even earth). My two cents.
    Usually in this sort of contest I would do my best to design all four elements, but in this case I might just focus on one or two.

Fire is first.
    WIP

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey Sour View Post
    ...Seems I'm having a different approach then everyone else... this seems to be a common (and unfortunate) problem for me lately.
    Nothing wrong with that, my friend!

Here's my current version- Rob, your point is well taken that it's pretty plant-y right now- I'll see if I can nudge it a bit further towards the animal side.

Name:  elemental WIP 2.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  266.6 KB

EDIT: Checked the rules again... You're right, Rob, looks like I'm in flagrant violation of rule B, and a bit close to violating E as well! This may require some re-evaluation of my plan...

Last edited by Grumbleputty; February 28th, 2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: kept thinking after pressing "save"

My DeviantArt gallery

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Scorge: I don't know what's going on with that, but I like it!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    an update, started with a base quadraped creature and then warped it to fit the old design.

yeah the pose is static but painting the creature was the fun part for me

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thinking on Scorge and Rob's comments. Bit of a rework, trying for something more dynamic looking and will work on making it look more fiery, thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Scorge, lots of love!

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had a feeling there where going to be a lot of submissions to this round.

Lhune: That is looking amazing. I think it would be cool if you made it 4 or 5 times bigger and added atmospheric perspective and some clouds, like as if it where generating it's own weather. Are you going to do the other three elements?

Rob: Thanks for the advise. Yours is looking really good. I love the arms, especially how they're posed. Those bony little fingers are creepy.

Whiskey: My biggest crit would be to not use pure black and white to shade if you're going to also use color. It makes it look muddy.

Ashess: I love the colors you chose for the water element, very unconventional. For design ideas, maybe look at other deep sea and primitive life and see if there are some things you can integrate.

Scorge: It took me a while to find the part that looks like it could be a head... haha. It needs more contrast or something to draw the eye there, but other than that, beautiful as always.

Junco: Hey! Nice to see you here The only crit I have is that everything seems to be leading the eye right off the edge of the page. With the face and hands so close to the edge, it makes it looked cramped. If you just added some space to the left, it would help the composition a lot. No crits on the creature, he looks cool. I love the way you paint, it reminds me of gouache.

Mythril: That is just cool. It looks like something that would be found in the Underdark.

Beefy: Love the earth one, but I think the fire one's pose needs to be worked on. The fact that his right arm (our right) is straight and so close to the ground, but not actually in contact with the ground, makes it look weird. And the back feet look stubby and pinched. If you're going for a cat theme, I would suggest doing some lion paw studies and really trying to nail it.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpiralHorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey thanks spiralhorn! that´s a great idea. mayby those fanned fins if a seadevil or something. gonna find some nice ref.

so.. umm this is what I got so far. I kinda like m. but they´re not really consistent much in design. might be best to worry about that later.
    Name:  fire.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  24.0 KB

waterhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1330407612
    earthhttp://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1330291045

ironbite rework looks really cool and clean. I see fire there right away!

mythril golem I really like the catapillar feet. but not too sure about the front pair. coulndt it just all be catapillar feet=

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    An idea for the water one, and some changes to the fire elemental to make it maybe a little less humanoid.
    Not sure if the new setup with the little worshipers works better?
    Also that little blob in the water blob on the seahorse is an external heart
    Can't wait to see more elements from you guys and those cool thumbnails take form.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Firith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My WIP for fire. Still searching for forms.

Name:  wip.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  59.6 KB

37. The Following User Says Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Finished this one off, but I may have to go back to the drawing board to come up with a design that isn't so plant-like. I'll sketch up some new ideas and see if I can get inspired to start over.

Name:  Earth Elemental_smaller.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  370.8 KB

My DeviantArt gallery

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks

Elementals WIP

Hi COWies! Always inspired by the work and imagination here. It's been a while since I've participated and just had to get in on this one. I wanted to show all of the elements in one image, still very rough...Let me know what you guys think. Can't wait to see how everyone's turn out!

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

42. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here's an updated version after about two hours of rendering. Instead of sacrificing the shape of the creature to give it an elemental feel, I decided just to fade the extruding features out into strands of water. Please let me know what you guys think so far!

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fleshed this one out, going to change the head. Still lots to do.

Vegasmike Wow, just wow, that's going to look amazing.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironbyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    VegasMike: Fuck yeah! I'm liking this already

Ironbyte: What you need right now is a sexy camera angle. It'll help creat drama which will sell your design. I always find it's easier to design something if you imaging creating a still from of a movie.

How would you shoot that movie to make the very most of your creature?

Think of the light. Uplighting from the molten rock it's rising from? Maybe some rays of sunlight from a crack in the ceiling?

Is the human his master controlling him somehow? If so what pose would you put him in to best sell that idea?

Go for it dude! Make that fucking movie!

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lol, cheers Geb

Know I'm missing this from my artwork, too focused on just trying to get ideas down (all enthused again!!).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.