C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread

Noun is offline Saving... Do not turn off the Power. Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dimlull: Great concept, I think the next step is to find a graceful transition between the main body and the windstorm... maybe have feathers swirling where the two areas join. Looking forward to a colored version.

SygniSC: Looks like progress is coming along, I get an immediate water feel from this. Just needs a bit more form definition on the tail.

tsabu: I love the strokes in both of these. Only thing is I feel like they're competing with their environments, it's kind of tough to establish where the creature ends and the background begins. I actually think that's a cool effect in and of itself, just maybe not for a contest where clarity of form is important.

Noro: Really nice work. Now that it's there the fire is actually a nice touch to this.

Firith: I really like the lighting on the earth bear, but the wind creature has a more inventive design. Really looking forward to see how that one turns out.

GammaGrey: Hmm, yeah, it might be straddling the line between earth and fire. But maybe not, even a volcano has a rocky exterior. I think if the furnace elements were ramped up just a little it could work, maybe add some bright saturated colors at the focal.

kora: Thanks for the feedback, yeah, I was going for eyes more than arms lol. That kind of ambiguity is sort of interesting, but you're right that it should be more clear one way or the other in something like this. Was hesitant about placing them too high to avoid any sort of humanoid look/proportions.

Your angler salamander's design is remarkably well thought out. I think for a color scheme, it might be wise to make the body predominantly dull or dark colored; seems that might be helpful for it to stay hidden while its tail attracts prey. The darker top most red palette looks like a really good choice.

Kivos: Great colors, almost looks like crayon in some parts. I think the crystal is a great approach to the earth element so I'd polish that feature more as you work on this. It has a kind of humanoid build though so I'd sketch out different body types from here on. Really unique, hoping to see more on this soon.

Jeremy Colwell: I really like your fire elemental the most of these, it feels like more thought was put into the design and it's got a lot of energy in the composition. The wind elemental doesn't particularly look like a creature quite yet, but more like tangled fabric; I might think about what you could add to tell us this thing is really alive (come to think of it, I might need to do the same).

Abee: Liking the shapes so far, can't wait to see how it develops. Something about the lighting reads 'underwater', though it's a really tough, rugged looking organism. Nice contrast.

lkjhgfdsa: Awesome angle and scale. I think adding some values closer to white might really get that fire feeling across.

Calireayn: Huge improvement, much more wind-like. I like how head even resembles an airplane cockpit. Great feathery strokes as well, turning out nicely.

NightHerald Remember that shadows are a good way to add weight to a figure, I think some darker tones underneath the feet can help. Hope you find time to finish!

ashess: This thing is creepy but I love it. Might be good to add more room to the frame on the right, sort of odd how the flipper's been cropped.

JanJager: That rainbow effect is fantastic, I've gotta figure out how to do that soon. No real crits about this, I'll be waiting eagerly for the finished version.

VegasMike: Incredibly crafted and beautifully presented. That's really all I can say.

Slight progress here. Probably going to need to crop off the extra space on the side...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    A Book for Sketching
    Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update; oh! more feedback.

Noun- thanks man, gonna look into that fin. wow! yours is really something else. maybe a bit of overlap the thing coming outta his mouth with the piece; might give more debth.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty much done, gonna post finals shortly, in the mean time here are some details from the final image...See you guys in the finals, had a blast this round!!
    Name:  Pyradens details.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  360.5 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Junco & @Noun : Thanks for the advise, critique & comments.

Unfortunately I miscalculated my dates...and gotten a little busy with other stuff I'm currently dealing with.... so I won't have this finish by the 7th, but I'm planning on continue working on this piece.

R. Sygni C.
    "I don't know what I'm doing. I just do it"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm desperately trying to finish this by pulling all-nighters.. I am slow....

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a WIP!

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bertling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bertling: I hate to tell you this but that's a human with a tail. You need to design a creature with little or no human qualities. Go on get to it you can still make it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vegasmike: What Rob Powell said...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    Bertling: I hate to tell you this but that's a human with a tail. You need to design a creature with little or no human qualities. Go on get to it you can still make it!
    Haha that's why it's a wip!

I'm gonna put the water elemental inside the vat so it doesn't dry up

cheers

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sigh...not likely I'll pull an entry this time around. My first attempt is basically done, but probably too plant-like to be a valid entry, and my water elemental spider isn't coming together as I'd hoped.

It's been a great challenge- you've all done some really amazing and inspiring work, and I look forward to agonizing over who to vote for!

Last edited by Grumbleputty; March 6th, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: can't spell
    Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh, I dont have enough time to finish off my design... :/ Moreover I dont have a lot of experience with Photoshop ( like at all ) . Good luck guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleputty View Post
    Sigh...not likely I'll pull an entry this time around. My first attempt is basically done, but probably too plant-like to be a valid entry, and my water elemental spider isn't coming together as I'd hoped.

It's been a great challenge- you've all done some really amazing and inspiring work, and I look forward to agonizing over who to vote for!
    I love your earth elemental. To me it looks like a creature, not a plant. I think you should submit it!

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bertling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertling View Post
    I love your earth elemental. To me it looks like a creature, not a plant. I think you should submit it!
    I agree. it might be a bit plantish, but it looks great.

anyway, im almost done I think. yay! im all proud. thanks for all the help! ^^

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

20. The Following User Says Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added more atmosphere, detailed the clouds and rim lighting on clouds, smoke, etc...

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cows wip...!

Last edited by ChromaticCodex; March 6th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChromaticCodex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GEB and ToddB: Good looking out guys! Thanks for the honest crits, always willing to make those little changes when necessary.

I'm tired of working on this one. See you guys in the finals!

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge changes look great. Overall a really nice piece. Love the fire arms! Well done as usual.

Rob overall a great piece. I really wish you had done something different with the hood though. And the bottom part needs some kind of change to give the head a little more prominence as well as break it out some from the rock it's on, it all kind of blends together. I'm sure it took forever though and I'm certainly not at your level so take the critique lightly.

Ashess love the turtle/jellyfish idea and it has a great style so far. I'm just not getting the elemental part yet.

sorry I can't critique everyone's. This round is getting some really amazing pieces.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ToddBushman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge: That looks so much better mate! If it were my piece I'd be ever so tempted to lengthen the tail and have it firey and whip like, curlng back roung into frame. But that's just me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like I took my air elemental a wrong direction and I won't be finishing it after all. Anyway I polished my earth a bit more and that will be my final! Any feedback is appreciated.

ashess: That looks good, I think you need to blend the creature with the water more, maybe add some floating particles and stuff.
    ChromaticCodex: Pretty interesting wips, mostly the fire one came out great.
    VegasMike: That's something I d gladly make a poster and hang in my room, it has a certain greatness in it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Firith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddBushman View Post
    Ashess love the turtle/jellyfish idea and it has a great style so far. I'm just not getting the elemental part yet.
    I though it was obvious. The yello being 95 percent water. And then ice scales on the turtle's solid parts.
    Mm now im thinking maybe do more ice scales. Are the ice scales even noticed? Maybe they're not 'icy' enough yet?

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic concepts guys!, no more time to me I guess...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah... not going to have time for more i guess, but here's an idea i had for air elemental. he's a bit goofy looking.. like a chinese dragon squid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh Im gonna gonna kill my cat! it just ripped out 3 buttons of my laptop 'cause it wanted at the chips!
    anyway, got the ice scales all over now. does it help?

Name:  cow250Water.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  90.2 KB

@grimstich - I dont care what you say, it looks awesome!

@stidigio- the water's too .. blue? does that make sense? well. I think it's too blue.

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ashess: Looking good! If I may suggest, if you push the furthest parts of your creature towards the shade of blue you used for the ocean, it should help sell the sense of scale you're after.

Your only competition is your last painting

My DeviantArt gallery

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumbleputty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some epic imagery in this thread!

My old computer chose last week to up and die, so I will not be contributing this round. All my files were safely backed up, and I have now got a new computer, but I've been working to restore my settings, reinstall my software, customize my preferences, get my old brushes and fonts installed, etc. All in all it's not a totally bad thing since I ended up with a much more powerful computer out of the deal, but it has been a big hiccup in my schedule.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks grumbleputty!
    well, this is it I guess!

Name:  cow250_seaKing.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  87.4 KB

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ashess much better. After I put my crit up, I reviewed what others were doing and realized you were fine. I was just looking at it differently. But it is looking better now. Nice job.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to ToddBushman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ten minutes to poll!

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Si_Swe View Post
    Ten minutes to poll!
    SiSwe: Give me +10 minutes plz! I`m done and uploading

I love crits!
    deviantart sketchbook

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2