C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @rob powell:
    no! no rib thing. make fire splash outta his chest!
    @Calireayn: its 'cause it's on the ground. and so dark and solid looking. make it see-through & lighter in color and make it fly.
    you're not the only one doing little ones. I've seen some. and my own idea for fire was a miniature stag.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this is my second post......never thought it would be in the C.O.W. forum, but I could not pass up this subject! I have seen everyone else's and know I am nowhere near that quality, but I figure "mess with the best, die like the rest".
    Here is my quick thought on an Air Elemental; a hybrid owl (knowledge and wisdom) and funnel cloud (rage and turbulence). All the aspects of air I can think of. I am teaching myself how to draw and am working on physical mediums first (digital art scares me right now).
    I know I need a lot of work, especially on the transition from bird to tornado, but please let me know what you think.
    PS: Thank you to all for such a great website to drown myself in knowledge.
    Name:  COW 250 WIP-postable.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  95.7 KB

Free yourself from pressure....the paper wants to be filled

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figure, I might as well post an update after it been four days since my first post on the COW #250 Thread.
    Been busy and still trying to figure things out.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    R. Sygni C.
    "I don't know what I'm doing. I just do it"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fire, and water ones - planing to make all 4 elements, but that won't be easy

Awesome works guys, looking forward to see finished stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work everyone!

little update. I know this creature doesnt scream "fire" on the first look, but I tried to do something more subtle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, this is a thumb for the water. I really like the set up and idea- its a turtle but instead of a shield it will have a jellyfish part.
    not happy with the effect I'm making with the jellyfish see-through thing yet though. not sure why it isnt working.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress guys!
    After reading through your comments I realized my fire concept was very humanoid.
    Anyway its great because you pushed me to go on something I m not comfortable with.
    These are my earth & wind elements.
    My general idea is to have some sort of summoner in the image who calls
    forth the elemental, any comments are welcome.

@Dimlull: That WIP looks promising and an owl is very appropriate for the subject being a symbol of wisdom and all.
    @tsabu: Looks good, especially the fire one is pretty original.
    @Noro: What is that sprout on his back? Thats a very cool design.
    @Abee: Those thumbs look awesome, the last one is my favorite.
    @Rob: Yes the hood looks a bit wrong on your last picture, but awesome design as always. About the tail, you could wrap it around on that rock thats close by I think it would look good.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wip after color pass and beginning render.

...wondering if it shares too many similarities with "Earth."

Name:  elemental.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  71.7 KB

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. This is my first post on CA, just signed up yesterday. Still trying to find my way around here.
    Hereís my attempt at fire. Right now Iím referring to it as the Angler Salamander. The Angler Salamanderís skull structure is reversed- the jaw swings open from the top, rather than the bottom. While hunting, the Angler Salamander dangles its flaming tail above its open mouth. The salamander patiently waits for passing moths to be attracted by the flames. Once the moths draw close enough, the salamanderís jaw swings shut, trapping its prey.

Iím still trying to work out what color this little guy should be. Iím not really in love with any of the color variations I have so farÖ Suggestions?

Noun: I really love this little guy. It looks like it was fashioned from clay and brought to life by some sort of warlock. I can imagine it wobbling through the woods on its stumpy little feet.
    Iím not too sure about the placement of the two dark holes towards the bottom. I think the human mind instinctively searches for facial landmarks in all objects, and for that reason I want to read them as eyes. But because of their position on the body, they could also read as stubby arms/appendages. It would be helpful to get a definite read on those two holes, especially since the rest of the creature is made up of ambiguous shapes.

Dimlull: Interesting concept. I think it would really help to do some research on bird anatomy. Right now, the wings appear to be connected to the base of the neck. Wings might seem incredibly complicated, but they really arenít that different from the structure of out own arms. Look at your arms in the mirror and observe the points where they connect to the rest of your body. Compare your arm to a diagram of a birdís wing, and youíll see the similarities as well as the differences.

Noro: The skin texture is really well done. I think you could explore the texture of the wings and the bulb some more, right now theyíre falling a little flat compared to the flesh.
    Some of your shadows are getting too saturated. The shadow below the wing on the right side of the image is a very warm red. Itís also almost the same value as the foot in front of it. If you squint at the image, the foot disappears entirely. Cooling off the shadow will help differentiate between those two areas and will help the readability.

Firith: The rocks are really similar in value to the bearís fur. It took me a few minutes to even realize that they were there. Emphasizing the fur/stone texture could help.

GammaGrey: I agree that itís looking more like earth than fire. Maybe you should just push it more towards earth at this point, rather than reworking it as fire.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys. This is my first post on CA, just signed up yesterday. Still trying to find my way around here.
    Hereís my attempt at fire. Right now Iím referring to it as the Angler Salamander. The Angler Salamanderís skull structure is reversed- the jaw swings open from the top, rather than the bottom. While hunting, the Angler Salamander dangles its flaming tail above its open mouth. The salamander patiently waits for passing moths to be attracted by the flames. Once the moths draw close enough, the salamanderís jaw swings shut, trapping its prey.

Iím still trying to work out what color this little guy should be. Iím not really in love with any of the color variations I have so farÖ Suggestions?

Noun: I really love this little guy. It looks like it was fashioned from clay and brought to life by some sort of warlock. I can imagine it wobbling through the woods on its stumpy little feet.
    Iím not too sure about the placement of the two dark holes towards the bottom. I think the human mind instinctively searches for facial landmarks in all objects, and for that reason I want to read them as eyes. But because of their position on the body, they could also read as stubby arms/appendages. It would be helpful to get a definite read on those two holes, especially since the rest of the creature is made up of ambiguous shapes.

Dimlull: Interesting concept. I think it would really help to do some research on bird anatomy. Right now, the wings appear to be connected to the base of the neck. Wings might seem incredibly complicated, but they really arenít that different from the structure of out own arms. Look at your arms in the mirror and observe the points where they connect to the rest of your body. Compare your arm to a diagram of a birdís wing, and youíll see the similarities as well as the differences.

Noro: The skin texture is really well done. I think you could explore the texture of the wings and the bulb some more, right now theyíre falling a little flat compared to the flesh.
    Some of your shadows are getting too saturated. The shadow below the wing on the right side of the image is a very warm red. Itís also almost the same value as the foot in front of it. If you squint at the image, the foot disappears entirely. Cooling off the shadow will help differentiate between those two areas and will help the readability.

Firith: The rocks are really similar in value to the bearís fur. It took me a few minutes to even realize that they were there. Emphasizing the fur/stone texture could help.

GammaGrey: I agree that itís looking more like earth than fire. Maybe you should just push it more towards earth at this point, rather than reworking it as fire.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kora For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ashess

Er... pretty sure I don't know how to draw that. I'm not so good at this. Sorry.

Thanks though, 'preciate any feedback.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just joined today, and when I saw this topic I decided to give it a go. Iam definately not as good as many of you guys because Im just a schoolboy ( there is not age limit for this right? ) with not so much experience. I had to use a mouse and you guys are using a tablet which I really need to get! Anyway this is my concept art of the Earth Elemental.

Here is a bit about him: Over the years the rocks and crystals have been gathering together to form "The Giant". The spirit crystals produce a dust which is collected by the Sprites which live around the mountains of Ulgah. It is dangerous however, for them to collect it as the Earth Elemental is always on the move to gather more resurces and so, to grow even bigger. He uses his giant Crystal hand as a support for his broken leg...

Any criticism will be much appreciated, and I know that there is loads!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff in here.
    Cant resist doing a wip

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Calireayn View Post
    @ashess

Er... pretty sure I don't know how to draw that. I'm not so good at this. Sorry.

Thanks though, 'preciate any feedback.
    thats kind of the point of an exersize like this no? and then you try anyway, and wether it fails or works, you've learned something. sorry :/ dont mean to be rude.

@JanJager- lovely easotheric! going to study this a bit to get that feel into my jellyfish-shield part. you prolly know this , but I think making the figure more solid and rooted to the ground by comparison will make the piece stronger.

@ kivos- welcome! kool sketch. it's more a 'tree' element then earth though. might be because the cristals too look a lot like leaves.

@kora- welcome too! wow, that's just such a beatiful design. I dont know any suggestions to make it better; it already rocks! the color studies all look great too...

@gammagrey- it looks way cool. but ye, a vulcano. is that molten earth or fire used on rocks.. if you put a few trees and stuff on there id'd pass for earth no problem.

@firith-for earth: very dramatic set-up, and it looks great at first glance. but then I can just make out the paws and they're not too well done. either darken that area so we cannot make the out at all or redo those with some ref.
    air looks great but maybe decide if you're going for abstraction or not. if you're going for abstract push it farther.

well, here's mine. water- still not happy with the yellyfish shell but the turtle's starting to look allright!
    Name:  seaking.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  16.6 KB

>>mah tumbr

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some though process stuff and roughs.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeremy Colwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a WIP.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Abee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just gonna do the people on this page, because while I love a lot of the stuff in here and the people that make it, my love only goes thiiiiis far. Or because i'm lazy and sick.

@Dimlul : First glance, I swore it was an owl in a dress. Second glance and I think you could really push this concept into something very cool. I can't tell if you're representing water or air, though, with stormclouds being a heaping handful of both. I'm guessing you're aiming for air- Maybe wisp the ends of the wings out like cirrus clouds, distort your idea more so it becomes that feeling of air, use the avian-ness to your advantage. Owls are light and deadly, but they're rather stocky creatures. Owl-nado is a pretty cool idea.

@SygniSC I like the combinations you have so far here, the melding of creatures. The thing that stuck me off the bat was the shape you've got your creature in. While water is a very vast, heavy thing, it's also very , for lack of a better word, fluid. The pose you've got now feels very heavy towards the bottom. There's something about a semi-vertical pose like that which to me, doesn't feel like it conveys the water-feeling enough. Water to me is like a large, flat, massive object, vast. Or it's something delicate, like a rain-path on a window. The pose itself looks to be uncomfortable, like they're kicking themselves in the back of the head with their flipper-ness while standing on their knees. My advice is to pull the pose out a little more, make it more fluid, and that'll help the overall feeling on the image.

@tsabu: Water one: I love the colors and how it's coming together so far. The tail sticking up in the back cramps the image's flow & style a little; but it's nothing life-threatening.
    Fire one: I like the concept, and I like the idea, the only thing I can think of is that it needs HEAT! It's very earth-toned, very low-key fire-related at this point, if you make that pop out, it'll be a great piece.

@Noro: Likewise to Tsabu's fire image, the rendering is great, the concept is interesting, it just seems to lack heat! Make 'dat lava glow, make it bubble and ooze and burn the crap out of everything. You've got it going on a bit with the tail, but if you could make this creature feel a little heavier, a little more fire-dripping goo-tastic, it'd work well in your favor.

@Firith Earth one: Your bear is bear-tastic. Less bear tastic and more earth tastic- you could push this concept and idea a lot farther. I like the composition, people controlling stuff is always cool, though if you made it feel more like a melding of the earth and the bear, it'd look quite fashionable.

Air: When i first saw it, I thought it was a collection of boomerangs. This one seems like it's in an early stage, so just more connection between the parts, maybe some broken parts between it, just to give it cohesion together. it's a very interesting idea.

@ GammaGrey : Gosh i love your concept. I could only suggest maybe a little more earth-tones, it's very dark blue, which doesn't do the best job of conveying that "I just pulled myself out of that crevasse over there, represent" as it should.

@Kora : This design is... i love it. I knew it was part pitcher-plant before I saw the small pitcher-plant image off to the side, and I think it's a great design. Though to me it represents plants. And that's like beating up my first born saying that. (thank god I don't actually have kids) I love everything about that design, I just can't... it doesn't fit well into Earth. It's too pitchery for fire. It might fit with water, being somewhat newt/frog like, but even then, you're gonna have to push that concept really far. So i suggest the defaults- if you want to make it earth, just make it ungodly large. Water might be your best bet, though.

@Kivos : Cohesion. The concept looks good, the pose reminds me a bit from Transformers, But if you could just make everything meld together more, It'll be a pretty kickin' concept!

@JanJager : Very cool concept! Drawing water on -water is a pain in the butt, so I commend you for that, I only have 2 small nitpicks. - THAT BOTTLE...or whatever the hazy grey-ish thing on the left is. I'm assuming it's a broken bottle. The top end hits right to the middle, and it follows the curve of your creature, so it's leading the eye away. It's sticking out too much, if you wanted to lead the viewer's eye in, you could drop it down an inch and tilt it away a little. Less obtrusive and still does it's job. I'm not lying saying that I spent a few minutes looking at that, when i should be looking at your creature. Water-on-water's gonna naturally lack contrast, especially backed on the sky.
    Second thing is the neck part at the top that goes up. It's interesting looking, but it leads the eye right off the canvas and...
    OH! It's a fin! Man, I missed that!

@Ashes: Yellyturtle is an interesting concept, though you could pimp that sucker out to REALLY make a yellyturtle. It's a little too pulled back right now, it's very cut-and-dry "Part turtle, Part Jellyfish" Try swishing those two animals around in the bowl a little more, maybe give the turtle some stingers on it's fins, that sort of deal. Jellyfish are a collaboration of different creatures within the same organism, maybe try something like that here?

@Jeremy Colwell - The first one that jumped out at me was the wind one. I'd push that concept, use the shapes to your advantage, make something really excellent out of it. The Fire and earth one remind me of toys, while the water seems more like a sea slug then the representative of water. Maybe because I'm not sure how that would swim. But the air one, very cool, I hope you push that farther.

@Abee: I'm not sure what it is but I like it.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Junco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lkjhgfdsa

The word Ďanarchyí comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant Ďwithoutí and αρχία meant first a military Ďleaderí and then Ďrulerí. Anarchist society is one Ďwithout rulersí: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    ďYou need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay I tried the see-through thing. I can't get it. Think I gotta practice drawing bubbles or something.

So, er, I gave up on that and drew whatever the hell this is. Can't manage see-though, but I think I can do flying. And I lightened up the colors. Furry air sprite manta ray thing (because I'm apparently fixated on fish, go figure).

I wish I could do backgrounds. If anyone's got any good tutorials for landscapes I could do with reading them.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge: Looks great! My only crit would me the composition. It would be more exciting if the creature were looking at the rider. You could even turn the head a little and the angle making the beast look further away, like here walking past and has just noticed the rider. That could give it even greater scale?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I may not be able to finish this on time after all. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow, but that's slightly optimistic. Anyways, this is as far as I got for now:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice all. Ill apply those great ideas. Keep up the awesome work everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man! that see- through stuff ishard, no? im thinking Im getting it sorta done. it's still not blending too well together though.
    I want to try and make the skin that is left ice, then the rest see-through. im still not sure how they come together at the neck though.

Name:  seaking3.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  21.2 KB

@Jeremy Colwell- interesting stuff. not sure what to tell you but that!

@abee-its..-what is it?

@Junco - thanks for taking the time and helping out! trying to blend more. well, mix. the blending is still a bit hard.

@lkjhgfdsa- nice; exept for the mouth. im getting.. very wrong associations with a hole like that :/

@Calireayn- well, it's flying at least. sorry, totally such at backgrounds. I bet there's a section about it in EOW. or youcan google.

@NightHerald- sorry to hear that. it still needs some work. I still think it's a bit too gundamsuit right now.

>>mah tumbr

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ikjhgfdsa
    Nice forms of the creature. Perhaps you can ad some glow in the air around the flames.
    @Abee
    I like the colors and composition. Maybe at this point the creature is bit hard to read.
    @scorge
    Great as always
    @kora
    Beatiful. Very elegant lines. Are they made ​​digitally. Congratulations. The creature is also really cool. interesting to see how you work. bottom left of the color variation is my favorite.
    @Kivos
    I like the design. At this point i think the rendering not giving justice to the imagenative design.
    @ashess
    Thanks for the feedback. Very nice underwater view. Perhaps let the water dampen the colors at the parts furthest. Have you tried just a water drops reflection in the yellyfish shell.
    @Junco
    Thanks for the advise. I have adjusted the composition but It might need further adjustment.
    @Rob Powel
    Very nice
    @DefiledVisions
    Sorry you don't have time to finish. You have some very nice sketches.
    @Jager
    cool creature. I like the shading from brown to green.

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @janjager- haha! that didnt even occur to me! thanks. trying it now.
    have to say about your piece. though it looks marvellous, I dont think the sharpness you gave the head does justice to it. especially as the figure and beach look smooth and faded next to it. maybe bring the head a little back(soften) and give the figure and beach harder and more angular shading?

>>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I see what you mean. Hope to get something up by tomorrow. Your creature looks rely cool with the limbs. looking forward to se it in bigger size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

fire elemental

hello. this is my first post. i'm working on fire at the moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post

@lkjhgfdsa- nice; exept for the mouth. im getting.. very wrong associations with a hole like that :/

Lmfao, so i'm not the only one that sees that.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Junco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elementals Final

Hey Friends, amazing work as always. I'll have more comments during the voting round and will try to get to everyone! Here's a final version of my elementals...let me know what you think, crits, p.o. whatever you think would help! Thanks

Adam Vehige aka VegasMike
    Check out my gallery!:http://vegasmike.deviantart.com/gallery/

44. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VegasMike For This Useful Post:

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    VegasMike: Excellent work, Adam! I think you could add some atmospheric perspective to reinforce the scale of the creatures. It will also unify all four elementals together a bit better because the air elemental seems kind of out there and unimportant compared to the other three. I also notice some conflicting edges with the tortoise's shell and the rock cliffs on the edge of the canvas. I'd be best if you sorted that out, because once again it will improve the scale and depth.

Last edited by Rob Powell; March 6th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2