Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Scorge, that looks epic. Nice job! It does look like he's wearing women's underwear though, kinda strange.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToddBushman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertling View Post
    Also, I think the air elemental is the hardest of all. Props to the couple of people that have attempted it so far!
    For sure, I was hoping more people would be willing to tackle it as well. It's definitely the toughest to turn into a creature.

Ironbyte: Love the most recent pose. The way it's cut off just a little on the bottom edge is odd, but otherwise looking forward to the progress!

NightHerald: I like the first face better, but I always tend toward more simplified things... Might play around with the spacing/orientation/amount of legs as the overall balance doesn't seem quite right. I like the amount of detail you've added thus far.

Stinkfist: Appropriate colors and I actually like the design on its own, but it seems too humanoid for COW, maybe. The muscles in the arms/chest look very human. Can't quite tell what's going on where the body meets the rock pile.

Zylock: No crits really, looks great. I think the earthiness will show a bit more once there's color.

Lander: The water area looks great, some dark values might separate forms out more clearly.

VegasMike: Great composition even with everything that's going on. The only thing is maybe more clearly define the ground the tortoise is standing on, it doesn't exactly look like it's touching the land. Maybe toss in some bent/broken trees around his feet, and clearly define which trees are in his shadow and which are in the light. Great stuff!

stridiggio: Really nice colors. Almost reminds me of fireworks which could be a really cool direction to go in. Something to work on could be defining the area below, not sure if it's a forest that's been ignited or some kind of raging fire sea.

Ruins72: It might be cool to show 2 different versions of the creature--one at normal size and one that makes use of its expanding ability. It's hard to tell it can do that without looking at your description. Maybe it puffs up and gets more round when it ingests large volumes of water.

Noro: The thing I really like about this is how you suggest the element of fire through smoke, without actually showing it. I don't mind the creature's look really but it seems to have a lot going on-- a prehensile tail, wings, and some sort of plant bulb on its back. Not that a creature isn't allowed to have all of these, but it only seems to be making use of its tail/feet to move around. I dunno, guess I'm overthinking it lol.

Abee: 1 and 6 look great, it'd be great to see those polished up.

ToddBushman: Great approach to the wind element. Maybe have the trees around swaying in his wake. Something about the background/perspective seems off, the way the horizon just cuts off like that. Not quite sure where the problem is there but it doesn't look right.

Rob Powell: I really like how this one's coming along, maybe for the hood make it a sort of transparent fleshy substance that glows. I'm sure you'll come up with something that looks good in the end.

Calireayn: I think it has a bit too much weight and color. Air is the least substantial of these four elements so it might be something to try and make certain parts transparent looking. The bright blue says water to me more than air, maybe a less saturated color scheme would work better. I do like the curled edges in the tail/crest/whiskers. Keep it up!

Grumbleputty: I really like that glossy look on the abdomen, you handled that perfectly. I think you could even add some more interesting stuff to the design, it still looks more like spider-made-of-water more than something that symbolizes the essence of water.

scorge: Crawfish from Hell. Please keep doing what you're doing. The colors look fine from where I'm sitting, the fire really pops.

Browsing through this thread has been really inspiring.

The original look for this was kind of based off of statues/clay pottery and it mutated from there. Still working on adding texture to make it look decidedly wooden/stone/soft clay/whatever I decide.
    A Book for Sketching
    Art Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Loomis
    You may question why we do not at once proceed to the finished, smooth, round form. The answer is that in a drawing or painting, something of the individual procedure and structural quality should remain... It is the big form that does the job--not the little and exact.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Noun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Noun

Thank you for the feedback.

Someone else I showed this to said the same thing - thought it was a water sprite, not an air sprite, so I think you're right.

Oh well, on to the next round...
    Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    @rob powell:
    no! no rib thing. make fire splash outta his chest!
    @Calireayn: its 'cause it's on the ground. and so dark and solid looking. make it see-through & lighter in color and make it fly.
    you're not the only one doing little ones. I've seen some. and my own idea for fire was a miniature stag.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, this is my second post......never thought it would be in the C.O.W. forum, but I could not pass up this subject! I have seen everyone else's and know I am nowhere near that quality, but I figure "mess with the best, die like the rest".
    Here is my quick thought on an Air Elemental; a hybrid owl (knowledge and wisdom) and funnel cloud (rage and turbulence). All the aspects of air I can think of. I am teaching myself how to draw and am working on physical mediums first (digital art scares me right now).
    I know I need a lot of work, especially on the transition from bird to tornado, but please let me know what you think.
    PS: Thank you to all for such a great website to drown myself in knowledge.
    Attachment 1434473
    Free yourself from pressure....the paper wants to be filled

Thanks
    I figure, I might as well post an update after it been four days since my first post on the COW #250 Thread.
    Been busy and still trying to figure things out.
    R. Sygni C.
    "I don't know what I'm doing. I just do it"

Thanks
    Fire, and water ones - planing to make all 4 elements, but that won't be easy

Awesome works guys, looking forward to see finished stuff!

Thanks
    great work everyone!

little update. I know this creature doesnt scream "fire" on the first look, but I tried to do something more subtle

C.O.W. #250. Aristotilian Elementals - WIPs Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    well, this is a thumb for the water. I really like the set up and idea- its a turtle but instead of a shield it will have a jellyfish part.
    not happy with the effect I'm making with the jellyfish see-through thing yet though. not sure why it isnt working.
    SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

Thanks
    Great progress guys!
    After reading through your comments I realized my fire concept was very humanoid.
    Anyway its great because you pushed me to go on something I m not comfortable with.
    These are my earth & wind elements.
    My general idea is to have some sort of summoner in the image who calls
    forth the elemental, any comments are welcome.

@Dimlull: That WIP looks promising and an owl is very appropriate for the subject being a symbol of wisdom and all.
    @tsabu: Looks good, especially the fire one is pretty original.
    @Noro: What is that sprout on his back? Thats a very cool design.
    @Abee: Those thumbs look awesome, the last one is my favorite.
    @Rob: Yes the hood looks a bit wrong on your last picture, but awesome design as always. About the tail, you could wrap it around on that rock thats close by I think it would look good.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wip after color pass and beginning render.

...wondering if it shares too many similarities with "Earth."

Attachment 1434712

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey guys. This is my first post on CA, just signed up yesterday. Still trying to find my way around here.
    Hereís my attempt at fire. Right now Iím referring to it as the Angler Salamander. The Angler Salamanderís skull structure is reversed- the jaw swings open from the top, rather than the bottom. While hunting, the Angler Salamander dangles its flaming tail above its open mouth. The salamander patiently waits for passing moths to be attracted by the flames. Once the moths draw close enough, the salamanderís jaw swings shut, trapping its prey.

Iím still trying to work out what color this little guy should be. Iím not really in love with any of the color variations I have so farÖ Suggestions?

Noun: I really love this little guy. It looks like it was fashioned from clay and brought to life by some sort of warlock. I can imagine it wobbling through the woods on its stumpy little feet.
    Iím not too sure about the placement of the two dark holes towards the bottom. I think the human mind instinctively searches for facial landmarks in all objects, and for that reason I want to read them as eyes. But because of their position on the body, they could also read as stubby arms/appendages. It would be helpful to get a definite read on those two holes, especially since the rest of the creature is made up of ambiguous shapes.

Dimlull: Interesting concept. I think it would really help to do some research on bird anatomy. Right now, the wings appear to be connected to the base of the neck. Wings might seem incredibly complicated, but they really arenít that different from the structure of out own arms. Look at your arms in the mirror and observe the points where they connect to the rest of your body. Compare your arm to a diagram of a birdís wing, and youíll see the similarities as well as the differences.

Noro: The skin texture is really well done. I think you could explore the texture of the wings and the bulb some more, right now theyíre falling a little flat compared to the flesh.
    Some of your shadows are getting too saturated. The shadow below the wing on the right side of the image is a very warm red. Itís also almost the same value as the foot in front of it. If you squint at the image, the foot disappears entirely. Cooling off the shadow will help differentiate between those two areas and will help the readability.

Firith: The rocks are really similar in value to the bearís fur. It took me a few minutes to even realize that they were there. Emphasizing the fur/stone texture could help.

GammaGrey: I agree that itís looking more like earth than fire. Maybe you should just push it more towards earth at this point, rather than reworking it as fire.

Thanks
    Hey guys. This is my first post on CA, just signed up yesterday. Still trying to find my way around here.
    Hereís my attempt at fire. Right now Iím referring to it as the Angler Salamander. The Angler Salamanderís skull structure is reversed- the jaw swings open from the top, rather than the bottom. While hunting, the Angler Salamander dangles its flaming tail above its open mouth. The salamander patiently waits for passing moths to be attracted by the flames. Once the moths draw close enough, the salamanderís jaw swings shut, trapping its prey.

Iím still trying to work out what color this little guy should be. Iím not really in love with any of the color variations I have so farÖ Suggestions?

Noun: I really love this little guy. It looks like it was fashioned from clay and brought to life by some sort of warlock. I can imagine it wobbling through the woods on its stumpy little feet.
    Iím not too sure about the placement of the two dark holes towards the bottom. I think the human mind instinctively searches for facial landmarks in all objects, and for that reason I want to read them as eyes. But because of their position on the body, they could also read as stubby arms/appendages. It would be helpful to get a definite read on those two holes, especially since the rest of the creature is made up of ambiguous shapes.

Dimlull: Interesting concept. I think it would really help to do some research on bird anatomy. Right now, the wings appear to be connected to the base of the neck. Wings might seem incredibly complicated, but they really arenít that different from the structure of out own arms. Look at your arms in the mirror and observe the points where they connect to the rest of your body. Compare your arm to a diagram of a birdís wing, and youíll see the similarities as well as the differences.

Noro: The skin texture is really well done. I think you could explore the texture of the wings and the bulb some more, right now theyíre falling a little flat compared to the flesh.
    Some of your shadows are getting too saturated. The shadow below the wing on the right side of the image is a very warm red. Itís also almost the same value as the foot in front of it. If you squint at the image, the foot disappears entirely. Cooling off the shadow will help differentiate between those two areas and will help the readability.

Firith: The rocks are really similar in value to the bearís fur. It took me a few minutes to even realize that they were there. Emphasizing the fur/stone texture could help.

GammaGrey: I agree that itís looking more like earth than fire. Maybe you should just push it more towards earth at this point, rather than reworking it as fire.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kora For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast