Thanks

Post Questions for Video Game Concept Artists

My Writing&Rhetoric professor wants us to write an essay on the career we're pursuing and I chose Concept Art. We also need to interview someone already working in that field. I tried contacting Darkside Game Studios in Coral Springs, FL, but no luck in any sort of reply. I have 5 questions that I prepared for the interview and I would greatly appreciate your input on them, since I won't be able to ask them myself. Thank you in advance.

1. How long did it take for you to be in the position you are in now, from the time you graduated college?

2. Does being a Concept Artist require you to travel? If so, how often?

3. What was your starting salary and how much has it increased since then?

4. What are the required steps in creating/completing a Concept design?

5. What are a few things many people do not know about being a Concept Artist?
    Haters make me Famous

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Who are these professors and why do they always ask people to do these?
    Honestly, hundreds of people have started accounts to do ask these very same questions over the years.

Do a search for "professor", "teacher", or "how did you get into the industry", and you'll have all of your questions answered. I think I even did one once.

Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Who are these professors and why do they always ask people to do these?
    Honestly, hundreds of people have started accounts to do ask these very same questions over the years.

Do a search for "professor", "teacher", or "how did you get into the industry", and you'll have all of your questions answered. I think I even did one once.

Good luck.
    Thank you very much for your input i made this account back in '10 my senior year in highschool but never got around to uploading any pieces or sketches. But when that assignment came up, I couldn't think of a better source than this one
    Haters make me Famous

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    [QUOTE=donkeymon;3385030]My Writing&Rhetoric professor wants us to write an essay on the career we're pursuing and I chose Concept Art. We also need to interview someone already working in that field. I tried contacting Darkside Game Studios in Coral Springs, FL, but no luck in any sort of reply. I have 5 questions that I prepared for the interview and I would greatly appreciate your input on them, since I won't be able to ask them myself. Thank you in advance.

1. How long did it take for you to be in the position you are in now, from the time you graduated college?

You don't need to go to college to be a concept artist. I became a professional artist after five years of hard work but no formal training or college.

2. Does being a Concept Artist require you to travel? If so, how often?

Not too much anymore; most work can be handled remotely

3. What was your starting salary and how much has it increased since then?

Sarting salary in 1990 was 50K it has more than doubled since then.

4. What are the required steps in creating/completing a Concept design?

You get an idea, you paint/draw the idea, you show it to the client for feedback. Repeat these steps until you are paid.

5. What are a few things many people do not know about being a Concept Artist?

It's harder than it looks, and most people who pay for school to become a concept artist will never work as one.[/QUOTE]

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,919 Times in 2,547 Posts
    It really is a valid interview topic/assignment - Dusty is just saying there is already a great deal of info on it here on CA. The problem with "professors" assigning these kinds of topics, who are not in touch directly with creative industries, is that they don't understand the incredibly wide range of pathways and salaries involved in this career. It is almost so varied that every concept artist has their own story on how they got where they are.

One of your best sources for information and research are the many "making of" books that are out there on the various major entertainment properties. Also books on particular artists such as Doug Chiang, Iain McCaig, Wayne Barlowe, Syd Mead, Scott Robertson, Sparth, etc. are going to provide much more insight into the career of the contemporary concept artist. I would also check out Feng Zhu and Red Engine Studios for sure.

The best education path/major is going to be industrial design...with a good deal of life drawing thrown in if you're interested in character design.

Good luck!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post: