Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Where do you purchase your sketchbooks?

I ask "where do you buy 'X'" questions quite often, but that's just because artists give the best advice on art products.
    Anyway, I was wondering where you lot get sketchbooks. I've feeding Theo Paphitis my cash for a couple of years (not buying lingerie), Rymans do a good price on A3 sketchbooks, but their A4s are not half as much as you might imagine, so, I was wondering if anyone knew a place where I could buy a job lot of A4 sketchbooks? Amazon don't really deal in bulk buying, and I don't really know any sketchbook suppliers (apart from moleskine, but I'm fucked if I'm paying £10 for something I will more than likely spill coffee on).
    Ta in advance.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    If you are looking to buy cheap just order through blick. I think they have the best prices.

But srsly, i think a lot of people draw on whatever is laying around. (i know i do). You'll save yourself a lot of money if you just buy reams of copy paper and a nice (sturdy) clip board.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts
    I generally make my own from printer paper and cardboard laying about, sometimes cut up clothes to give it a funky cover.

Speaking of job lots, I recently got 90 sketchbooks for 45 quid, 9x7 so not a4 but I find them to be more comfy to use, worth checking out ebay for likewise deals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I carry a handful of nice paper in a folder. I don't use sketchbooks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Office supply store. Cheap printer paper comes in packs of 500 pages.

Thanks
    I buy from Michael's or AC Moore.

Strathmore by far is my favorite brand. Canson works well too.

I don't like printer paper; it never can hold color or graphite very well.

Thanks
    Making your own is pretty cheap too.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    I just started making my own.

It's cool coz I can mix in whatever paper I want. Even found some nice paper for it! It's brown-ish on one side and black on the other.
    Now I just try and make myself good enough to earn myself the right to draw on such "fancy" paper :p
    So yeah I now have a sketchbook with different paper types, thickness, and color just waiting for me to start it up

Thanks
    Scrap paper from the office on clipboards for warm-ups and gestures, either a moleskine cashier or 5x8 mini ruled pad for doodling/taking messages at the office (I image most office supply stores sell these), cheap mini canson for my purse (sketching peeps and whatnot out in the world), cheap larger canson for anatomy sketches, etc. in pencil, and a lucious Robert Bateman 9x11 for larger idea sketching, pen and marker practice. I know, I have too many sketchbooks, and way too many full sketchbooks that I refuse to throw out. I've often thought about binding my own, but I find spiral-bound store-bought to be so darn convenient.

how do you guys bind your own sketchbooks?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    I start hinting that sketchbooks make ideal consumable gifts for artists sometime in July and then they appear in the mail around my birthday and Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Saramel
    Look up "coptic stitch tutorial" on Google. There's at least one that's very comprehensive and easy to follow.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Saramel View Post

As Vineris said, using the coptic stitch.
    It's damn easy!
    Not many people in the tutorials glue it afterwards though, but I'm not particularly happy with the space between the signatures, so I also glue it on the spine if it's too bad.

So far I have only used paper-thread, and crochet yarn.

If you don't mind the space between signatures you can do the long stitch (I think they call it?) and stitch it directly to the cover.

There are lots of tutorials on Youtube, but I think most will be found when searching for "handmade journals" since it has become pretty popular in art journaling

Thanks
    Making a sketchbook is cheap and a lot of fun (for me anyway) like trixtar said, you can throw whatever you like in there.

Edit*
    http://www.theworks.co.uk/Arts--Craf...FYgmtAodkRFROQ since you live in england, you can take full advantage of The Works shop, by far my favourite shop, sketchbooks in the for as little as .99p.

Here's a few I made as an example.

Attachment 1428313

Attachment 1428314

Attachment 1428315

Attachment 1428316
    Last edited by Krane; February 23rd, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Crane:

OMG yours are like huge!

I make such small ones :p
    Heh, I may post some pictures of mine tomorrow, just need some proper light to photograph in

They are however not that nice looking as yours!

Thanks
    I buy a ream of hard-stock copy paper from Staples and then put it into a 3-ring binder. Cheap solution and I can easily keep a binder of my best drawings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixtar View Post
    @ Crane:

OMG yours are like huge!

I make such small ones :p
    Heh, I may post some pictures of mine tomorrow, just need some proper light to photograph in

They are however not that nice looking as yours!
    A4 paper is the smallest I have lol

Nothing inspires me quite like the idea of having a huge 1000 page sketchbook filled to the brim with drawings also into tomecraft, so making sketchbooks is just another creative outlet for me.

I wanna see pics of yours!

Thanks
    I have bought a few sketchbooks from ebay last year, but I've gotten cheap lately. I just use regular print paper at the moment. My friend's mom works for xerox and gets a ton of free printer paper where she works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 926 Posts
    try using resume paper. Especially if you can find it on clearance. good resume paper can even take inking very well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    I usually get my sketchbooks off amazon (and damn near everything else). I usually get moleskines.

Also as Aryeh said, paper that you might buy at a office supply store works fine as well. I still draw on crappy computer paper from time to time and almost prefer it over the more expensive artsy stuff.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

Thanks
    Here's the joblot I managed to get on ebay, goes to show it's worth checking about for.

Name:  bulk.jpg
Views: 3101
Size:  172.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Crane View Post
    A4 paper is the smallest I have lol

Nothing inspires me quite like the idea of having a huge 1000 page sketchbook filled to the brim with drawings also into tomecraft, so making sketchbooks is just another creative outlet for me.

I wanna see pics of yours!
    ...So the one you are holding is technically A5, or do you bind them somehow differently than folding the sheets in half?
    Because your hand looks so damn small in comparrisson! :p

Oh, didn't know that there was a term as "tomecraft", I always find those during a journal or sketchbook search. But yeah, they are cool but I think right now I feel more comfy with smaller ones, because then I feel better destroying it when the first 50 drawings have gone disastrous.
    But I do understand you, and yes someday I will make myself the biggest and coolest sketchbook ever!!!

And damn I envy your eBay catch! I just searched and couldn't find any. Are they good? You do know that now I expect to see a lot of drawings, right?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixtar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking good trix!

Dude, I can't tell one type of paper from the other, other than going 'herp derp dis ere is thin paper! and dis ere is thick paper!' never bothered to find out the differences when it comes to paper, if I can draw on it, I'm happy.

The pages are still A4, the cover is just stupid large, here's an inside picture to show.

Attachment 1428787

I tend to like keeping old drawings so I can look back and see improvement and go 'HA freaking noob!'.
    I got really lucky with the joblot, the books are of decent quality, the paper would be alright for painting with water colors maybe, more than enough for drawing anyhow.

I'll try and get my CA sketchbook updated with the pictures, but without the bulk uploader yet its such a chore :/

PS. The only binding I've done on my sb's is hole punching all the pages and putting string or rope though them, I have no idea how to sew or glue or whatever them, I should learn lol
    Last edited by Krane; February 24th, 2012 at 05:50 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Thanks

PS. The only binding I've done on my sb's is hole punching all the pages and putting string or rope though them, I have no idea how to sew or glue or whatever them, I should learn lol
    I encorage you to learn that

But I was thinking, when you just punch holes and tie it up, doesn't that get annoying in about when you reach the middle of the book? I mean, I imagine it would create a "hill" because you can't flip the pages fully because the piece behind the holes are kind of stuck?

You cover is cool. Are you using gluegun to make it stick that well?

Thanks
    I don't bind them tight enough to get a hill, I leave the string loose enough that I can have it as I would a normal stack of paper.

Yeah, my glue gun is my best friend, except when it burns me I'm not exactly a neat person when it comes to making these things lol

Thanks
    I don't bind them tight enough to get a hill, I leave the string loose enough that I can have it as I would a normal stack of paper.

Yeah, my glue gun is my best friend, except when it burns me I'm not exactly a neat person when it comes to making these things lol
    In all risk of sounding demanding, could you maybe show a picture of the middle so I can see how it's bound? You attach it straight to the spine?

Burning myself is THE reason I stay away from glueguns. It's bad enough with normal glue getting absolutely everywhere! ...including my hair and floor and furniture and clothes....

Ooooh, just realize that this actually may be totally off topic?
    Well...
    Buying...
    I buy whatever cheap!
    Paper quality is not really of any concern. I just draw and adjust to whatever medium accordingly to what the paper can take

Thanks
    I put the rope through the cover and tie it up at the back, like so:

Attachment 1428959

Some pics of the insides:

Attachment 1428955

Attachment 1428956

I've never got glue in my hair and I have long awkward hair lol :p

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Krane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    "tomecraft"
    Tried to see if there was any sites about this that offered tips and tricks.

...got 95% World of Warcraft hits.

Might be time to make another name for it.

Thanks
    @ Crane: Ey, thanks a lot for the pics, I need to try and make such a thing someday, looks cool

Well, my hair is reaching to my waist, so all I need to do is a single wrong move, and it sweeps right through glue and paint! :p

There's a Danish guy who sells these huge things, really awesome:
    http://tlart.dk/alfa/#store:st=Handcrafted Books&sg=Special
    -That's the direction I'd like to go someday!

@ Dusty: I think everything goes into either handcrafted sketchbooks or journals now

Thanks
    @Trixtar: Wow, that Danish guy makes some awesome stuff...Makes me want to make some, too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Tried to see if there was any sites about this that offered tips and tricks.

...got 95% World of Warcraft hits.

Might be time to make another name for it.
    This is where I first heard the name http://propnomicon.blogspot.com/search/label/Tomecraft

Really great site.

@Trix

Ever used a hair band? :p

Those books are great, the more basic ones would be fairly easy to make, might make a new book on my week off, should prob fill the ones have have 1st though lol

Thanks
    @ Kuroyue: Go for it, really

@ Crane: You know that people say that everyone has some idiotic tick they can't lose? -Always forgetting all about hairband is mine! But I was planning on cutting my hair soon, that usually keeps the problem away for a few months :p

*Glaring at the lovely pile of sketchbooks*... Heh, well if you want to fill everything before you make a new I guess you'll either be very busy, or you can't make a new in years! Then again, if you focus a lot on the cover, then it will become a piece of art in itself and that should justify you choice regardless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast