What are your Favorite Foods for Energy?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What are your Favorite Foods for Energy?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What are your Favorite Foods for Energy?

I've always suffered from a really lethargic feeling until I started to change my diet. I'm curious as to what your guys' energy foods are?

For me it's Potatoes. They have turned around my energy levels dramatically to the point where I cannot go without them anymore.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,778 Times in 848 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    crazy alcohol rainbow pig

Last edited by Raoul Duke; February 22nd, 2012 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3 meals a day,

something of everything in each meal (carbs, protein, fat... veggies, fruit),

tea and chocolate as drugs of choice.

omnivore style, no bullshit, no fancy diets. I'm doing fine.

Last edited by Maidith; February 23rd, 2012 at 03:54 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    almonds, peanuts and olives are great pick me up snacks to keep around the house for every now and then.

They are tasty and also healthy as long as you are keeping your calories in check.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been researching things that fill you up (I'm trying to lose weight) and porridge works great, it helps if you like it (which I didn't), but if its just energy food, oats are great as they are digested slowly and keep you full up until lunch (which for me is at 3 o'clock, due to my fantastically organised and convenient work schedule.)

almonds, peanuts and olives are great pick me up snacks to keep around the house for every now and then.

They are tasty and also healthy as long as you are keeping your calories in check.
    You wanna be careful with nuts, they're much higher in calories than you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ritz crackers.
    If I have the patience to carve myself up some cheese, then Ritz and cheese.
    Otherwise, gimme a box, it'll do.
    That's while working at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by manlybrian View Post
    those are good for waking yourself up.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I just eat stuff that's not crap and get plenty of sleep. How energetic do I have to be to sit in front of the computer and draw anyway?

I find the lack of sunlight for 6 months out of the year to be a bigger problem.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    You wanna be careful with nuts, they're much higher in calories than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSart View Post
    Nuts rule, possibly even more than olives..yeah, they have a fat content but they also have tons of fibre, protein and deliciousness.

Generally I go with Vineris approach..
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    I just eat stuff that's not crap
    If it has more than one layer of packaging don't be eating it. Ready meals, I'm looking at you.

When in doubt, eat beef jerky.

Last edited by Flake; February 22nd, 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Even the fat in peanuts is the healthy unsaturated kind.

The thing is people will sit and eat a bowl of it, in reality is the kind of thing that is best just to eat a small handfull at a time. It is not always about what you eat but how you eat it. Like i said, really comes down to keeping track on your caloric intake. Peanuts, olives and almonds are things i managed to fit very well in my weight loss diet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Butter and eggs. Maybe not the eggs as I started it recently, but I have my take of butter every day.
    I try to eat cheese every day but they're quite expensive so I am cutting down on it. Otherwise I'd eat a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kidney beans, lentils, chicken breast, lean fish, eating a proper breakfast keepin each meal around 300 kcal and eating religiously every 3 hours plus a small snack inbetween, like a fruit or two. Nuts are good. One avocado a day. NO SUGARS at all, everything wholegrain and about 500g of frozen veggies a day. No coffe or tea or any other artificial energy that can result in a comedown.

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Protip on getting your daily amount of fiber (which is around 20-ish grams, for a 2000 calorie diet):

Eat oatmeal.

Don't cook it. To cook it, you need to add lot of water, which the oats will completely soak up, and they'll inflate, which makes you even fuller despite the fact that you had, what, 1/4 cup of oats only? Don't cook it.

(1 cup rolled oats roughly equals 8g fiber. Don't know how whether this differs according to brand.)

Soak it in your liquid of choice overnight/eat it straight/don't soak it overnight, just add the liquid in and stir until it gets that nice creamy texture. This way, you can eat a LOT more oats at a time--basically cereal-bowl-size.

(Bonus: add nuts, yogurt, berries, cinnamon, honey...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been sticking to a paleo/primal style of eating lately, with pretty good
    results.

Wild caught fish, grass fed beef, lots of organic greens, avocados, and other
    vegetables. Also some berries, nuts, and lots of tea. Taking plenty of
    supplements too.

Avoiding all starches, which means no bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes, etc. No
    refined sugar or dairy either. And of course nothing with weird chemicals in it.

Check out this lecture for the basic idea behind this way of eating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dried figs and nuts for energy ^^.

I have some food allergies so I'm kind of limited as to what I can eat anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been over weight all my life, and in the last few years, I've been trying to get my health in check, I've tried looking at foods and going:
    "Oh, but this has high/low levels of "x", so I can/'t have that!". but TBH, I was just fooling myself, you can be picky and try to wean yourself off of unhealthy/bad amounts food, but the truth is, no one's ever going to live on a diet of cabbage, quorn meat and hope.
    The number one thing fat people (like me) don't normally get is that they aren't necessarily eating the wrong food, they're just eating too much of it, just so long as you're burning up more than you're eating, you will lose weight, that's the long and the short of it.
    How do you make sure? You look at the number of calories on the back of the packet, as much as people tell you:
    "You can't trust the labels you know!", by law, food companies have to tell the truth, so by and large, you can trust 'em.
    Another way we try to fool ourselves is by finding out our BMR and saying
    "Ah! But my BMR means I burn 2937 calories a day, without exercise, so I can have that extra portion and I'll be ok!" That's how much you can eat to stay at the same weight, you need to eat 2000. Thats the rule, if you eat 2000 calories or less you will lose weight even if you don't do exercise (to a point). Ignore diets, don't starve yourself and make yourself miserable by eating half a stick of celery and three grapes a day. You really can eat what you want, but keep in mind that a macdonalds meal contains nigh on 1000 calories.
    Of course, when it comes to being healthy and having energy, no one would recommend two big macs and chips every day, because healthiness and attractiveness come from more than just being slim, I'm more healthy than some people I know who are thin, even if I am over weight.
    I'm lucky in that my mother cooked (and taught me to cook) the family proper, balanced meals from scratch. It just so happens that no one checked how much I was eating, so now I'm a big, fat fatty, who's almost nine stone over-weight (formerly eleven). It just goes to show that the majority of people are wrong in thinking that the only fat people are gluttons who spend all their spare cash at Greggs and burger king.
    The trick is not to snack at all, just eat three meals of roughly 600 calories each per day (which you get used to) and make sure they're roughly along the lines of: non-fucked about with carbohydrates for breakfast (porridge/brown toast/non-sugared cereal (carbs>starch>glucose, glucose+oxygen=ATP(energy))) they are digested slower and keep you going for longer before you're body wants food again. Meals of 40% veg, 30% carbohydrate and 30% protein for lunch and dinner, if you eat them at fairly regular times you will be less likely to get unexpectedly hungry at random times of day (which is when people tend to snack)

Oops, went off on a massive rant there...eat healthy kids...

Last edited by Barefoot; February 25th, 2012 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lambrakis View Post
    I've been sticking to a paleo/primal style of eating lately, with pretty good
    results.

Wild caught fish, grass fed beef, lots of organic greens, avocados, and other
    vegetables. Also some berries, nuts, and lots of tea. Taking plenty of
    supplements too.

Avoiding all starches, which means no bread, rice, pasta, or potatoes, etc. No
    refined sugar or dairy either. And of course nothing with weird chemicals in it.

Check out this lecture for the basic idea behind this way of eating:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjgBLwH3Wc
    You get hungry because your body needs more 'fuel', those fuels are (at a basic level) starch, proteins and vitamins.
    You use proteins (made up of amino acids (made up of nitrogen)) for tissue repair/growth. You need amino acids (acquired from protein) to make everything from anti-bodies (which kill pathogens (viruses/foreign bacteria/fungi) and are produced by phagocytes (white blood cells)) to the enzymes in your stomach/saliva that break food down (Eg: protease (protein), maltase (maltose, a big part of starch). Protein is synthesised by ribosomes (a cell organelle).

Veggies give you vitamins and minerals. You need iron for example to make haemoglobin (the oxygen carrying molecule in your blood), to be honest you wont notice the effect of vitamins until you are deficient in them. Vitamin D is an important part of a hormone (I forget its name, it's really long) that regulates the amount of calcium in your blood, you wont notice that you're missing it until the effects show, eg: you're bones get brittle, you get tired easy (not enough iron = not enough haemoglobin = not enough oxygen to your tired out cells(anaemia)). Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) is a general helper, it stabilises iron, making it more soluble and more able to form haemoglobin (which is made up of iron, nitrogen and a couple o' different carbon-hydrogen molecules), it firms up the skin, and therefore reduces the effects of ageing.
    OFC veg is good for roughage to help digestion etc...

Starch made up of Amylopectin and maltose, enzymes break these two down into glucose. The mitochondria (another organelle) in your cells synthesise oxygen and glucose into ATP, which is pretty much people petrol. It enables muscle movement, cell division, all that jazz. You can get glucose from things other than starch, but the main monosaccharide in fruit is fructose. Fructose and glucose make maltose (regular sugar), so you could just eat that all day, but you are getting less glucose for your molecule than with starch. So you can get all your sugars elsewhere, but starch is the best way.
    The reason you might use fruits for yo' sugar is because you don't need a ton of glucose, (and you get less of it with fruit that starch) because you're not a runner or whatever, and that non-used up glucose from the starch is stored as glycogen (part of fat), and if you don't need it (in the 1st world) there's no point having it. However, if you do reasonably regular exercise you're going to want that glucose rather than breaking into your glycogen reserves. (you can have muscle movement without oxygen, but it used glycogen which creates much less ATP and lactic acid, the stuff that makes your muscles hurt.
    That neanderthal diet works great if you're lifting weights (anaerobic) and all that, its just that when it comes to aerobic exercise (oxygen+glucose) rather than anaerobic (glycogen=lactic acid) you're going to have problems with muscle pain and endurance because you're low on glucose and you have to depend on your glycogen reserves a lot more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Granola bars for sure. I have at least 5 different kinds in my pantry right now. (fruits, chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, extra fiber...)

I'm an EMT so granola bars are especially awesome for when I'm super busy. The people at Trader Joe's know me from how many boxes I buy every time I'm there lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Starch made up of Amylopectin and maltose, enzymes break these two down into glucose. The mitochondria (another organelle) in your cells synthesise oxygen and glucose into ATP, which is pretty much people petrol. It enables muscle movement, cell division, all that jazz. You can get glucose from things other than starch, but the main monosaccharide in fruit is fructose. Fructose and glucose make maltose (regular sugar), so you could just eat that all day, but you are getting less glucose for your molecule than with starch. So you can get all your sugars elsewhere, but starch is the best way.
    adding that, Glucose is the only form of energy that the brain can use for metabolism, so it is definitely important to get enough glucose for proper brain function!
    I'm a huge fan of carbohydrates personally, but you can get glucose from other sources, just sometimes it can be difficult to get enough.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepingrabbit View Post
    Granola bars for sure. I have at least 5 different kinds in my pantry right now. (fruits, chocolate, caramel, peanut butter, extra fiber...)

I'm an EMT so granola bars are especially awesome for when I'm super busy. The people at Trader Joe's know me from how many boxes I buy every time I'm there lol
    I never drink or smoke, these are my vice.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1330215195

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I like 100% juices too. Especially when they're unusual combinations.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

29. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.