CD Cover critique?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CD Cover critique?

Hi

I created a CD cover for Grumpf. It's almost finished, but i was looking for some extra advice on how to improve the cover.

I hope you guys can help me!

CD Cover critique?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

This my first post, so try to forgive me if I do anything wrong, lol.

I love the graphic feel this has, like a comic book or a vector.

What is her hand doing on her chest? Out of curiosity, as it feels awkward and it looks a bit clunky.

Her eyes are looking in two different directions, so unless the was intended, I'd adjust that.

The back cover's group of guys look a bit under defined and just a little sloppily done. I would just go over some of the shading.

Overall, I like it. I think it needs sme tweaking but it is very inventive and eye catching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!

Thanks for the usefull comment! I didn't notice the eyes myself. The girl is trying to rip off her shirt, that's why her hand is fixed at her chest like that.

What do you actually mean with the 'Sloppines' of the bandmembers? And what's wrong with the shading? I would like to improve it but i don't really understand what you mean.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ER dude I would talk to the company who are going to manufacture and promote the CD mate, because kids will buy it (possibly) and the guy on the back cover with his trousers down mangling his twig and berries will probably be deemed to be well out of order.

I would seriously pull his pants back up, he can still have his hand there then but its not as dangerous for the promoters and everyone.
    Just my thoughts mate before you take it any further.

all the best

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lightship69 The guy on the back shows way less than what the girl does. But I guess it makes a difference for you because it's a guy and not a girl? Now that's some serious sexism Anyway, I don't think it will bother anyone so keep it as it is. I've seen some way more vulgar covers out on the market and if the kids want to buy it, then why not let them? It's not like they will automatically become rapists because of a CD cover ^^ I don't want to sound rude, I hope you know what I mean

I do however agree with most of Lee14k's criticism except the thing about the guys on the back. I'd much rather want you to put some more focus on the doctor (?), to me he's the one that looks a little sloppily done - especially the hands and his eyes. Maybe make his hands a little more convulsive and his eyes more directed.

One last critique would be the hand. You said you wanted to make it look as if she's about to tear apart her shirt. In that case, I think you need to enlarge the hand a little and make her fist more clenched - look up some reference.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to InsanityVonMike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel all bad for writing this, because it's artistically executed much better than I could do... but erm...

Maybe it's just me, but her facial expression doesn't work for me.
    I almost get the impression that she's not very comfortable with the situation.
    If I were to change anything, I'd get her chin down and give her eyes "that look". Then emphasize on the movement on the shirt as if it really rips. -Stretched fabric digging into the skin? -Well at least that's as far as my imagination reaches, so I know that pose is kind of cliché but eh :p

And I agree that the guy should pull up his pants!!!
    What music is this anyway!?

But again, this is just my opinion, take it or leave it. It's just the message of the image I talk about, not your artistic skills

EDIT: Sorry for the bad habit of indlucing a lots of "I"'s and "me"'s... I do that when I try to emphasize it's just how I see it and I'm aware that others can have other opinions :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LightShip69: I know what you mean but this CD is Full of 'Adult' content. It's a Glam/Heavy metal band which is known to be rather 'violent' or 'sexual' tinted.

The guy with his pants dropped is still wearing underwear (although you can't see it very well) and therefor i don't see anything wrong with having his pants down.

@InsanityVonMike: Thanks for the useful critique! I'll try to work on it!

@Trixtar: I'll explain you the concept of this CD. It's about a Doctor who's trying to create the perfect girl (influenced by frankstein's monster), he succeeds. The guys on the backside are the band members themselves. The guy with his pants dropped felt in love with the girl and wants to do anything to get her while the other members try to stop him. At the end of the CD the girl dies and it starts all over again. The doctor will Revive her... etc

Her look is kind of meant to be tempting but indifferent at the same time.

I hope you guys know what I mean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is actually a very interesting idea... You should make it into an entire comic-book in the special edition release!

Now, you kindly told the story of the picture to us. But now I pretend to be a costumer flicking through an online cd-catalogue. I don't think I would get the message, honestly. But eh well, if you are happy and the band is happy, then I have no further comments in that area

About the underwear... When I look closely I see what appears to be a small area of small black dots.... You didn't dress him in cheetah patterned g-strings, did ya!? -Sorry couldn't help myself :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, yeah I did give him a chaatah patterned g-string! and you're right, when you just look at it you probably won't get what's it about. But when you start listening to the songs it al gets clear! ^^

And yes, a comic book would be awesome! Altought there is not enough fund for that i'm afraid!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the way youve cropped the front cover doesnt show off the girl well.
    the doctor guys arms and hands need reworking
    the logo is pretty cool.
    the dark grey lightning doesnt make sense. the guy with his pants down looks like he's wearing a bra.
    The easy in The easy way doesnt need a capital.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd add my two cents now that I understand the story behind this. The guy with his pants down doesn't look like he's lusting after the woman because he doesn't appear to be looking at her or reaching for her. I mean I realize he's grabbing his junk, but it looks to me like he is lusting after the mad scientist. Also, the woman's breasts look really weird to me but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just that I expect to see her nipple given how much of her is exposed (I'm really not good enough with human anatomy to be able to say where it should go)...speaking of nipples, the guy in the back with the open blue shirt appears to not have any.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grozyll View Post
    But when you start listening to the songs it al gets clear! ^^
    You say it as if you assume people per automatic response of seeing the cd will also listen to it and get the context?

Well, I actually went snooping on your facebook-link, and found their page...
    With that level of old-schoolish rock n roll, you definitely need to brighten up the lightnings as people have already mentioned!

I hope you can still make the changes within your deadline

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I meant was they look a little rushed, like not a lot of time went into them(this may be because they're smaller) and it may just be because I can't see the shading, but it looks a tad rushed as well. It is most likely because they're just smaller. And the scientist/crazy guy looks pretty good, I would just refine him, and make sure he gets equal attention. He looks to be vital to the cover.

She's trying to rip it off? I would change her expression a little more to reflect it, like she's straining to get it off.

And yeah. If kids are going to be buying it, I'd change that. Lol. I'd change it anyway if it's going to be in stores. Kids will see the cover, and while I and my parents wouldn't be bothered, a lot of parents would.

I also love that logo. Really, cool logo. XD

BTW, glad that I could help you out. :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are they all zombies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Thanks alot for all those comments! I'm going to rework the picture tomorrow! So i'll keep you guys up to date!

@MiniGoth: No, not really but their brains are kinda zombie like, if that makes any sence?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    actually i think i was wrong the girl is fine

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here's an update!

CD Cover critique?

I hope it's an improvement, i'm still not 100% sure about the Gril's hand tho... :/

Please feel free to give me more of your advice!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.