Thread: Sketchy Sculpt

Thanks

Sketchy Sculpt

Hi
    I put this together in Mudbox then lit and rendered it in Mentalray. I used the pose tools to get the rough composition/posing of the characters before sculpting it with the wax tool. I tried to keep it pretty rough and not get bogged down by detail.
    Any feedback welcome

Cheers
    Adam

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm confused by the tech talk, is this a real sculpt or virtual one? either way, it's really cool. Just wanted to know.
    www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Very cool, I like the tension between the two. I look forward to seeing where you take this one.

-Sam

Thanks
    this is really cool... it looks real... but I presume you are just roughing things out in Mudbox and getting a nice pose/dynamic before you actually start sculpting it traditionaly... am I correct on this...

using Mudbox to get a feel for what the real thing will look like when finished is a great idea... I use Mudbox for the same purpose!

the rendering makes it look very real though... I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this...

excellent work so far bud!!...

James

Thanks

Digital sculpture

Thanks for the kind comments. This is a digital sculpt made in 3d software but using tools that help me create it much more like a clay sculpt. I like this approach as often when doing detailed final models, I can get distracted from basic elements like composition or even if I decide that actually this isn't working as a sculpt, hence my title "sketchy sculpt".

I'm aiming to do more of these and hopefully get faster. I like the idea of going back to a rough sculpt later after I've had a chance to see it with fresh eyes... maybe then final it with detail/ tweak overall composition. I guess these are techiques common with traditional sculpters out there? Would be interested to know if this is the case.

Anyway I render the 3D, trying to give it the look of a resin cast, although my lighting is a bit over the top I think. I'm going to try to simplify the lighting in future to maybe just a keylight and soft fill/bounce.

Appreciate the comments though

Adam

Thanks
    Impressive O_O

Thanks
    I've uploaded a turntable to the website. http://www.lume-fx.com/video/gladiat...ncept_720p.f4v