Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

Done and done,
    Graduated ... Job hunting time.

It's good to have free-time now to get back on the forums. I've been visualizing the book "DUNE" for my thesis, as if to prove how well/timelessly it could be put into a film production of today's standards.

Trying to give justice to Herbert's classic, at the same time trying to figure out elements to build on or take away for a production. My professors were of great help, with their expertise in ID they were able to help me gear the designs to many markets and demographics, including toys and games.

It was a short quarter (only 9 weeks) and I had an extra class so I still plan to keep working away at this project before I finish and move onto Ender's Game. I still have some designs I'd like to tackle in my summer-time and just keep doodlin' away.

I actually based my criteria for the designs off the main governing elements of toy-design. Developing them towards a methodology I could use:

1-Fun: the initial impact visually of the design ~ the aesthetic appeal that speaks to an outgoing audience.
    2-Engaging: The interaction with the designs' universe ~ The realism and convincing nature communicated to an enchanted audience.
    3-Challenge: The presence of a sequential working articulation ~ The functionality to reward an observant audience.

I'll start with the ornithopter, which I considered a very important design since it's the main transportation unit. I really wanted to get away from the "science-fantasy" portrayals of the book to a more science-fiction feel... the least cheesy-sci-fi I could actually... It should reflect/drive the design of Arrakis, a very industrial spice-processing mecha (the painting's in the works). So I got a chance to go to the local JVC plant and get a tour of their industrial machinery, get some reference and pamphlets of hydraulic systems. It was also presented that the Ornithopter was not a machine unique to Arrakis, that it was on other planets as well. There were many times they discussed how the intakes weren't optimized for combating Arrakien dusts. I worked at it 'till I came up with this very utilitarian design.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

Also the definition of ornithopter: A machine shaped like an aircraft that is held aloft and propelled by wing movements.

It's clear that Herbert created the ornithopter to be like many of those failed 'flappy' aircrafts from the 1950's we see in old videos blowing up : D
    It's obvious that an audience of today's intelligence would have a hard time buying a ship that flaps (after seeing how they failed so many times)... but I still wanted articulate wings so I developed it's hovering propulsion wings. This way it could still skid to a landing and fold it's wings up like in the book.

some thumbnails that carried me into the freeze.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

and a very early more incorrect design...

EWWWW!

The harvester is more specialized. along with the carryall (still designing it) it would've been machinery designed completely/solely for arrakis... So it needed to look like more Harkonnen $ was pumped into its creation to combat the elements of the planet.... But the Harkonnens are still cheap, They would probably only use the basic manufacturing-technologies needed to keep this thing supported in the desert.
    It was described in the book as a giant 'beetle'.... but It should be something more in subtle ways. I designed it to be this huge beast that would be dropped off by the carryall and penetrate and rape the earth with its enormous phallic probe. In an hour or two, when done, the carryall would pick it up... quick and dirty.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

a few of the main thumbnails...
    Three (speedpaints 3-15)

and a very old crappy design
    and some old carryall designs... SHEESH!!
    not gonna' cut it...

I was eating at a restaurant and my waiter picked up on what I was drawing and was very excited. Turns out he was studying to become a film student and it was his dream to do DUNE, he was finishing up the last book in the series when I met him. He helped me a ton with the navigator design.
    The navigators are humans warped by the spice gasses, they have intelligence beyond our comprehension and are capable of warping space. Aside from their more grotesque and vaginal design elements they should look very intelligent ... and very gluttonous from spice spoils.
    Inspired by so many stories of people staring into the eyes of a blue-whale and seeing the whale look right back... seeing that intelligence... that's what I would want these creatures to convey.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

some early drawings and thumbs...

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

and a painting of a school of navigators entering from a spice chamber preparing to warp space. Quick and based off a block model this was a chance to get to justify my designs in a scene-paint.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

YAY!!! THE FUCKIN' SANDWORM! really needs no introduction.
    The fucker needed to make an impact... granted he gets to jump out of the sand, he gets to actually sink the damn harvester, and he needs to be the testosterone of the desert.
    A very grotesque, phallic, and disturbing form to stick in peoples' brains.
    the early design really told me how hard I needed to work with this guy...everything was 'tremors this... tremors that' ... yea, only so much you can do with a worm right?
    He's really base very much off planarians/tapeworms since there was so much mention in the book of it being able to regenerate from any segment. But I worked some of the silhouettes found in more venomous snakes in.

In both the films there was no real explanation, through dialogue or action that the worms rotate. When the fremen ride them the split their skin exposing softer skin to the sand, the worm rolls up and the fremen mount it. The design needed to explain this... So I came up with a more dorsal stance when it's docile to a more aggressive horizontal stance when it's mounted.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

some of the thumbnails that went into its creation...
    Three (speedpaints 3-15)

and the old shitty tremmors design.

and this one's for Smellybug, my first sculpy model to support the worm's design ... was a blast to do, I gotta get me more sculpy.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

My girlfriend (on the forums as lupicani) was a huge help with the still-suit design... I basically worked with her and rendered what she had to say.

What was missed in other interpretations of Herbert's book was how much of a deep culture the fremen were. The suit should show that this man has had his suit since manhood, that it's worn, tattered, repaired, and sunbleached. Many personalized and decorative elements apply to the design and can change accordingly to the character... this way unique designs could communicate the character visually and we still have face coverings to mask the people. I worked in a lot of 'worm-mounting' harnesses into the still-suit, very based on many of the harnesses created to aid in the 9-11 incident. Also the decorative shoulder brace and neck-piece was made to reflect the silhouette of the worm's head and beak to show how the fremen worshiped them as their gods.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

and some early designs more reflective of civil-war culture, and a little too sci-fi than I wanted to go.

Three (speedpaints 3-15)

... ok ... done, more to come peeps : D

Last edited by Sammy; March 15th, 2005 at 06:56 PM.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    congratulations....those are some super dope concepts; they are so clean and refined. nice sculpt. too.

Thanks
    Congratufuckinglations. Wow, I am in awe.. You make baby Jesus cry with your amazing talent. With these in your portfolio you'll get any job you want. The effort you put into this project definitely paid off. Everything is so cleanly and precisely done. I'm not surprised. Awesome work sammy.:chug: :chug: :chug:

Thanks
    Holy shit dude. I gotta get me some spare pants :eek: That amazing seriously congrats. Brilliant design.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    I was browsing some random thread and here you are...BAM!!!!(punched my balls with no mercy) I had to get some toilet paper cause I wetted myself scrolling on your concepts....umm thanks you for posting these...

Thanks
    OMG!!!Sammy is back with MAD SKILLZZZZ! Looking Great!!!!

I don't really know if u have to hunting for jobs...They should come hunt u down with the portfolio like this...and mad skillz like yours.:chug:

CONGRAT!!! and Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    xiataptara.com
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*

Thanks
    sammy, this is easily the best work i have seen from you. i remember quite a few months ago when you were new to the forum and posting your work.. . ..and now youre doing stuff like this. i cant begin to explain the progression i have seen from you. .. .how do you do it? and also, how do you have so many super sweet robot/mechanical ideas and concepts. .. designing stuff like that is something i would like to be able to do as well as people and creatures.

my ONLY crit is that the mans anatomy is kinda squirly.. .mainly in the arms and legs.

let us know who you start working for. .. i dont think youll have any trouble finding a job.. .especially with work like this. in all seriousness, that spice harvester is one of the coolest things ive ever seen.. .and the paintover is gorgeus.

hope you start updating more now that youre out of school :chug:

Thanks
    great start to the new one. your stuff is looking very professional, my fav of the bunch is the harvester pic and your sculpted. looking forward to new updates!

Thanks
    These are by far the most original designs for Dune I have ever seen (out of the 3 other ones: the old Dune movie, the crappy Sci-Fi channel one and the RTS Dune games that were made by Westwood), and by far the best (as if my oppinion carrys any weight- but whatever). I like the addition of all those cultural elements to the still-suit, and that Ornithopter kicks ass. You do the book justice, this stuff is killer. Maybe a little over-kill on the phalic references, but killer regardless.

Now go and make a movie or something with it. A good one, for once.

(EDIT: Might I request some of the main characters? It would be fun to see your interpretations on things like the Highliners and Atreities uniforms... crap, I'm all exited now. Think I might try my hand at some concepts. Thanks for the inspiration!)

Last edited by Wart; May 22nd, 2004 at 12:07 AM.
    Don't hate me because I'm colorblind.

Thanks
    THose are some totally dope designs. I'm a huge fan of Dune, and those designs do it justice. Also, as an animator, I really dig the movement studies you included with the ornithopter and guild navigator. When I saw that the 'thopter landed like a beetle, it made me really happy.

If you don't mind a crit, my only one would be with the stillsuit/costume designs. The thing that always attracted me to Dune was how cultural the book was. People, their cultures, and the way they interact are at the heart of the book more so than the technology. Going in a more cultural direction, as opposed to a sci-fi direction, with the costumes would be a great chance to show that aspect of the book. I think you're already thinking about this because you included the sketch of the mutton-chopped dude twice, which is the least sci-fi of your designs (and the coolest imho). With the fremen, I got the impression that the stillsuit was more like an under layer, with more culturally relevant bedouin-like robes over the top. Anyways, you're obviously leaning that direction, I would just encourage you to run with it even further.

Cool stuff man, can't wait to see more!

:chug:

-T

Thanks
    f*$@ you rock!!

i love these! you remind me why i want to be a concept artist!

-bonedog

Thanks
    can someone tell me why this guy rocks so much. I'm having a hard time coping with this guys madness. Someone help me I think i'm going in a coma.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    fantastic concepts, totally breath taking

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.