Sketchbook: Gah Hand Cramp!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Gah Hand Cramp!

Gah Hand Cramp!

Hi my names chris (aka the triggerpigking aka a flying asshat) and I decided to start a sketchbook here to keep me motivated and blady blady blah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1YmS_VDvMY
    okay okay heres the american psycho

and a few life drawings

a few hands from http://www.elfwood.com/farp/hand/

and finally a bird a dog and a horrible half drawn cat

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by triggerpigking; January 19th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Hi, thanks for your comment. Cool that you are making so many life studies, keep on that way and you will improve fast i think, however some of them seem a bit rushed and when doing studies like that i think its better to take your time making sure you get the lines right

Yay I got my first comment yeah I do tend to get into a rush mode when I do life drawings its a habit im trying to get rid off.

edit: I usually would'nt update on a monday (because I barely get any time to myself on mondays ) but I get most of the day of tomorrow so yay for me so heres my new stuff
    Despite the fact that the proportions got very messed up (I had to change a few things to make it work) im actually pretty proud of how this turned out ive been getting a bit bored of the regular things ive been doing life drawing of so I wanted to mess around a bit and draw some unusual stuff

A few timed figure drawings from http://www.artsyposes.com/index (thanks for the link Knokkelmanden brilliant site) the farest left one on the first page though im not sure how long I took as I dident realize the timer was off.

And finally for the last couple weeks or so ive been trying to draw 100 hundred skulls from http://www.3dtoad.com/human_skeleton_skull.php
    the idea came from yinari and I thought I might as well give it a shot and im currently up to 28.

Well thats all for now will probably update again on wendesday

edit: sorry if this is a stupid question but Ill probably have some more detailed nude drawings in this thread so is there a way I can change the thread name to have NSFW I stupidly forgot to do it when i made it

Last edited by triggerpigking; February 20th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.

Hha) the Monty Python incentive made me smile

Also, nice sculls. It's hard to tell yet, bu I think you have this own style, your drawings look sculptury-like (if it makes sense). I hope you'll keep it as you progress.

post more.

Thanks for the comment sasha
    Ive noticed that my skulls and still life look a bit sculptery I think the reason why is that ive been trying to build them up with shapes first although I think ive had more success doing that with the skulls than the still lifes CURSE YOU CYLINDERS CURSE YOU!
    Happy that my styles changing a bit though as ive been trying to change it a bit recently by drawing lighter lines and pecking in the lines less.

Too sleepy to upload anything now

Finally I get the chance to update
    although I havent been able to get much done ah well heres some still lifes

I actually think this one turned out the best of all of them I was really trying to focus on looking at the still life as much as I was drawing and I think it turned out very well. Also to anybody who noticed yes that is an old n64 transfer pack.

You know I just mentioned my hatred of cylinders yeah its very easy to see here I dont think anything (except for maybe the shading) turned out right on this one the proportions are wrong the placement is wrong damnit shame too I think it was an interesting still life ah atleast I manged to get a nice drawing of my dog on the side .

And heres some gesture drawings which I think turned out very good especially the ninja on the second page

Well thats all for now might update again either later or tomorrow

Last edited by triggerpigking; February 24th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Another update
    I havent had much energy at the moment so I havent been able to get much done but ive managed to pull myself up to my desk and draw everyday so its all good I guess
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1330219474
    I think the figure drawings turned out pretty good although the third one from the left looks like hes falling.
    the scond page is some older stuff and for those wondering the man in the right corner is harmonica from once upon a time in the west.
    And do you want know what easy about drawing folds BLOODY NOTHING hell half the time im not actually sure what part im drawing.
    I drew the sond one with a mechanical pencil I have I definitely need to use it more as I find it a lot easier to use then regular pencils

Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    Another update
    I havent had much energy at the moment so I havent been able to get much done but ive managed to pull myself up to my desk and draw everyday so its all good I guess
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1330219474
    I think the figure drawings turned out pretty good although the third one from the left looks like hes falling.
    the scond page is some older stuff and for those wondering the man in the right corner is harmonica from once upon a time in the west.
    And do you want know what easy about drawing folds BLOODY NOTHING hell half the time im not actually sure what part im drawing.
    I drew the sond one with a mechanical pencil I have I definitely need to use it more as I find it a lot easier to use then regular pencils
    I may be giving bad advice, but if you're using a mechanical pencil make sure you're using .5 mm. The finer point gives you more detail to work with.

And keep at it. It's like a muscle: the more you do it the better it gets. And if you need a book to help you out with figure drawing I recommend Loomis or Nicolaides (or both!). But thus far you're off to a good start.

Also, nice Clint.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtsySiridean View Post
    I may be giving bad advice, but if you're using a mechanical pencil make sure you're using .5 mm. The finer point gives you more detail to work with.

And keep at it. It's like a muscle: the more you do it the better it gets. And if you need a book to help you out with figure drawing I recommend Loomis or Nicolaides (or both!). But thus far you're off to a good start.

Also, nice Clint.
    That actually is .5mm and yeah ya can get very fine lines with it although this will sound a bit strange but I have to keep turning mine around otherwise the pencil strokes become more dull I also have a 0.35 which i'm probably gonna start using again as well.
    With my mechanical pencil drawings ive actually been trying to go for this guys style http://gofu-web.deviantart.com/ I really like the effect he gets especially with his hair and clothes.

I also already have loomis's books ive gone through parts of figure drawing for all its worth a few times but I put it down for a while to read his fun with a pencil I think fun with a pencil's a good book for really new begginers but most of the stuff in it I already know so im going to start reading his figure drawing book again, ive never heard of nicolaides though so ill look that up thanks.
    Thats not actually clint eastwood by the way but charles bronson who was actually given the part of the man with no name but turned it down and you better run now before I talk your head off about westerns for the next 5 hours don't just stand there RUN!

Hell yeah barely anything gets me more pumped for drawing than bloody tears
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNUXp0R6FEg

anyway tried something different with the gesture drawings I used pen and it came out pretty well dont know why but although I like using a pencil more I always feel like I have more control with a pen

I also finally got round to drawing some more skulls almost halfway there

Ah cylinders we meet again

Nice start. Very clean drawings.

Some of your stills their perspective is a bit off. Even on a small scale like that, objects should be in perspective, instead of making all lines parapel (some seem to converge towards the viewer,which makes it look even stranger:p ), have them converge just a tiny bit. It will make things feel more real, drawing in perspective is just drawing as the eye sees, and thus you are tricking the eye that whatever you are drawing is real.
    Also some things feel like they are slightly tilted.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcross View Post
    Nice start. Very clean drawings.

Some of your stills their perspective is a bit off. Even on a small scale like that, objects should be in perspective, instead of making all lines parapel (some seem to converge towards the viewer,which makes it look even stranger:p ), have them converge just a tiny bit. It will make things feel more real, drawing in perspective is just drawing as the eye sees, and thus you are tricking the eye that whatever you are drawing is real.
    Also some things feel like they are slightly tilted.
    Yeah perspective is another thing I need to work on as for the tilting ive noticed it too i mainly have that problem when im starting out drawing a still life as I dont notice its tilted until im partway through drawing it. I think its mainly the cylinders I know I go on about it but I don't think I ever get the curves right and thats what causes them to be tilted.

i like nintendo 64 sketch

Thanks pencilitpred
    I think thats probably my best still life so far

Gah I always feel bad when I don't draw on a monday when I get in i'm usually too exausted and by the time I finally get in a drawing mood its already time to go to sleep.
    Bit of new stuff and a lot of old stuff firstly ive started reading figure drawing for all its worth again and so far ive drawn his proportions diagrams I was going to try and find one of my older attempts at drawing this but I strangely couldent find them anymore (Think I might of actually did them on printer paper and threw them away) btw try to ignore the first one from the left on my male one I stupidly enough did the figure 7 heads for some reason and only noticed after I finished.

Looking at my old work did give me the idea to post some of my old good stuff though so heres a picture of the skull kid from majoras mask which im very proud of took me around 2 hours 3 hours tops.

This I did a while back and is pretty much entirely drawn from refrence anyone whos played falllout 3 willl immediatly recognize the background as for the rest of the pic I found a brain a gasmask and a dress online also free tip if you ever find yourself drawing an apocalyptic picture listen to the metro 2033 soundtrack really gets me pumped to draw apocalyptic pictures.

well thats all for now I might update with some recent stuff later but I probably will just update tommorow.

edit:small update

Last edited by triggerpigking; February 29th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Few more things more of the same I should be going to a life drawing or figure drawing group soon so i'm really hoping my stuff will get better a lot quicker.

Good luck at your life drawing class that sounds like fun.

Also, a lot of good diligent work on Loomis. That inspired me to start doing it, too. but probably tomorrow, it's already midnight here.

Thanks I havent ever really been able to draw people from life I can get the odd sketch of someone every now and then but most of the time people look at you like your a friggin alien or something and it gets distracting
    Im hoping the class is going to be a mix between still life and drawing people though because I think im running out of interesting stuff to draw.

Bigger update than usual though I feel like I get too easily distracted recently one minute im drawing and the next im watching g-mod vids on youtube for two hours.
    Been trying to draw the skulls in more harder angles recently I think 43 turned out good but the rest not so much.

Also as for the life drawing ive tried drawing that thing 3 or 4 times now each time I get stuck on the ds and ended up screwing it up this time though I just said fuck it and just drew it ah its alright but ill probably re-do it again some other time might draw the ds a few times to try and get the hang of it.

I also drew the coverart for fullmetal alchemist it turned out good but I think I messed his face and mechanical arm up a bit.
    Won't be updating tommorow because im going over to a friends.
    and now I sleep

Last edited by triggerpigking; March 3rd, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

More random crap I think i'll try putting more colour into my sketchbook soon i'm beggining to notice how bland it looks.

Havent been able to draw much as ive been weirdly unable to do barely anything the last 2 days is not that ive been tired or depressed but I havent been able to draw or play games and enjoy myself as ive just been feeling incredibly bored I think im starting to get out of that though now so I can start to get back on track.

What happens when you try to draw fanart of a character from an obscure ps2 game who just happens to also be see through and you decide to draw him in charcoal.
    this horrendous thing happens
    Name:  dr killjoy.png
Views: 2003
Size:  604.5 KB
    well fuck it trying and failing is better than not trying at all.

Little life drawing of a snes ive done a lot better i drew this when I was feeling down though so I wasnt concentrating much.
    Name:  life drawing 12.png
Views: 1904
Size:  237.9 KB

A few hands I did in charcoal before going to bed.
    Name:  hands 2.png
Views: 1861
Size:  158.9 KB

Tried doing a bit of an eyes study and drew one from imagination on the right
    Name:  eyes.png
Views: 1849
Size:  134.3 KB

And finally more loomis work don't know why but I never feel like I get his mannequins right to the point where it just frustrates me.
    Name:  andrew loomis manequins 2.png
Views: 1849
Size:  214.2 KB

Few more things
    I can draw loomis's mannequins decently but ive found when I try to apply them to my imagination drawings or use them for people im drawing I just can't seem to get them to work.
    Name:  figure drawing 10.png
Views: 1907
Size:  165.4 KB

Been wanting to get a bit better at perspective third point one turned out horrible though.
    Name:  perspective.png
Views: 1790
Size:  136.2 KB
    Colour in my sketchbook its evil get it away.
    Completely forgot how fun pastels are been using them all day at college and thought I should get out my old pack and try to draw a few eyes with them.
    Name:  eyes 1.png
Views: 1798
Size:  329.9 KB

Last edited by triggerpigking; March 9th, 2012 at 02:33 AM.

Still no more comments im forever alone in this sketchbook (no I shall not post the meme)
    Yay im now halfway through my skull drawings although I just relized after scanning it theres a pencil sharpening on one of the skulls shit.

I think you might want to help yourself out with more detailed sketching to capture the proportions of things before moving on to the details. Remember that skulls have the same proportions as faces. Center the eye halfway between the top of the head and the bottom of the the nose halfway between the eyes and chin and the mouth (where the teeth come together) halfway between the nose and chin.

Good luck

While I may not be much of an artist, I am more than happy to help with MATHEMATICS! I have over 3 years of tutoring experience, and would love to help you out with anything up to and including calculus Also, as a mechanical engineer, if you want feedback on realist sci-fi or other technical critique, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Hey, nice start! Keep working on those studies. It'll pay off big time.

Quixotic: Hey thanks that was a lot of help I need to stop focusing so much on the details over proportions and I keep forgetting that.
    Ive done a few more focusing mainly on the proportions and I think theyve turned out a lot better.
    Name:  skulls 51-56.png
Views: 1718
Size:  322.9 KB
    I used the pen lines to mark out the shape of the base circle and the construction lines as if I was building a face.
    I might do 50 more of these after I get to 100 because I feel like the other 50 are crap in comparison.

elgwghee: Hello person whos username I find incredibly hard to pronounce
    yeah im already seeing slight improvements with my imagination work feel like I need to do more still lifes though havent done many recently.

I actually did 3 colour studies in pastel yesterday but I only got one done that actually looked good.
    the first one was in black and white and it looked so bad that im not even going to post it I only really have one gray one black and white so I couldent really get any of the tones right.
    This is the second one
    Name:  perspective challenge coler study 2.png
Views: 1709
Size:  817.4 KB
    Its alright but again I couldent get many of the tones right what was convenient about the cliff landscape I did was that most of the tones I already had ready that and I really had problems trying to get the sky to look right and I lost concentration halfway through so I did it again.
    Name:  perspective challenge coler study 1.png
Views: 1719
Size:  742.9 KB
    It looks better but I still don't think I got the sky right I think I should probably find a good guide on mixing pastels as im finding it really hard to mix them right.

Well thats all for now ill upload more later.

Heres a few more bits
    Name:  skulls 57-62.png
Views: 1643
Size:  251.4 KB
    Name:  skulls 63-68.png
Views: 1598
Size:  177.6 KB
    I won't lie I got a bit lazy with the last two skulls though.
    Name:  life drawings 12.png
Views: 1598
Size:  278.8 KB
    A few life drawings I did while watching pkmikes stream I think I tend to draw to small.
    Name:  animal drawings 3.png
Views: 1573
Size:  143.2 KB
    Name:  animal drawings 4.png
Views: 1586
Size:  210.1 KB
    My dogs move to much.

More stuff
    Couple of still life drawings I really hate the way that book turned out as I was actually drawing it from the side not above and it just came out looking like this.
    Name:  life drawings 13.png
Views: 1566
Size:  281.3 KB
    Just a few random face drawings one of rambo and the other two from a laurel and hardy boxset. I apolagise for rapeface hardy though.
    Name:  sketches.png
Views: 1561
Size:  203.4 KB
    Couple of pen gesture drawings
    Name:  figure drawing 11.png
Views: 1559
Size:  160.4 KB
    I actually went through about 4 pages trying to get this right and im still not sure if I have.
    Name:  andrew loomis 2.png
Views: 1529
Size:  189.3 KB
    Really proud of these I think there the best skulls ive done so ar except for 74
    I think I should retry that one.
    Name:  skulls 69-74.png
Views: 1520
Size:  325.9 KB

Last edited by triggerpigking; March 17th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

much good practice here :>
    I especially like the eye studies

Some definite improvement showing as I skim through here -- the skulls (being that you've done so many studies of them that it's easy to compare) especially show progress!

Looks like you're getting better control of your line work, too..

Always try to keep sketchy-looking lines to a minimum.. they look less confident. (i.e. your last gesture drawings vs your skulls -- one you're definitely more confident with and look how much cleaner your lines are!) If you draw with sure marks (even if the only thing you're sure of is that they're wrong XD), you look like you're doing things on purpose rather than being afraid to do them because you don't know how. You always have an eraser (or some whiteout) - don't be afraid to be bold! (And then you use your eraser/whiteout to fix everything you just did totally wrong and chalk it up to getting more experience. XD) Can't fix mistakes that you never make, right? That's how we all learn.. Making.. many.. many.. mistakes.

I love that you're drawing from life so much. Make sure you're paying attention to the values and showing the darkest darks and the lightest lights -- push your values as much as you can. For an added challenge, try to spot how objects that are near other objects bounce light around.. For instance, an apple in a bowl -- the apple won't have a flat shadow all the way down to the bowl where they meet, the bowl will bounce a little light back onto the apple and lighten the form from that direction slightly, giving the form a rounded appearance. Subtle changes like that will help you describe your forms on the next level - see if you can spot it in the objects you're studying.

Keep up the great work! ^_^

Hey mate. Like it's already said, it's great to see you drawing so much. now for advice, i'd say what you should focus on first is on form. To me, form is one of the very basis of drawing, an the first kind of "proportion" we can use to make sure my drawing looks right. Right now, yo uare tackling a quite a few subjects in these studies, and I do that from time to time but try to devote more time to one specific theme, like the skulls. What make your skull drawings stand out to the rest of the drawings here, is taht yo ugot the form right, even if most are nto rendered or specially detailed, so try to focus on doing simple things as perfectly as you can manage; measure things, take your time to make sure stuff is as perfect as you can get it to be eg. if drawing a pot and noticing one side is bigger than the other, don't proceed to render or do anything else but correcting the form and thn only then go for it. Keep un updating man can't wait to see some more progress!

Hey hey, it looks like what would benefit you best for sure would be to do many more Loomis and Bridgeman studies. These would help you immensely to see how the form breaks down. Remember when drawing skulls and every shape in the human body for that matter, that they are all derived from basic shapes. When doing your skulls (especially if from reference) remember to measure, measure, measure. It will benefit you greatly to see how the skull breaks down in terms of proportion before really jumping in and trying to shade it. Focus more on getting the form down first.

Anyway... more as comments as I see more posts...

(subscribed)

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Oh hey, someone closer to my own skill level (though still ahead of me, looks like! ).

It may just be the scanner, but it looks like some of the images are a bit squished in their proportions? The latest ones look better than they did, and the scan quality is a bit higher, so again it might be the scanner. I know mine does weird stuff with my images sometimes.

I'll be stopping by again soon.

Agreeing with what was said about the chicken scratch lines -- incorrect, confident lines look much better than accurate, scratchy lines. Sweep your lines from the shoulder, not scratchy lines with the wrist. At first it's really intimidating to draw like that, because you're going to get a lot of lines wrong, but stick with it and you'll see the difference very soon.

Also, look closer at your references. Measure with your eyes. It's tedious at first, yes, and it's very easy to miss detail you haven't yet trained your eyes to see, but it's a skill just like art and gets easier every time until it becomes second nature.

To help with your gestures, take a look at this: http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.3/3.3p...pudrawing.html

The trick is to capture movement more than the shape, although it's much easier said than done. Gesture will also teach you to learn to see basic shapes in a very short time, and is the perfect place to practice your sweeping/confident lines. Try it out!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25