P.O.W.! Challenge 58 (A-B-C) Murder and Intrigue
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 58 (A-B-C) Murder and Intrigue

donalfall is offline The Cat's Deputy (POW! Moderator)
    donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 58 (A-B-C) Murder and Intrigue

THERE HAVE BEEN MAJOR CHANGES MADE, SO READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY!

All future POW! Challenges will roughly follow the format below, unless otherwise noted for a special event.

In all cases, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 58A: Murder in the Manor

I'm not an obsessive watcher of period drama, but even I have noticed there's more of it about recently. Make a POW! in the fashion of a period drama, set in a big house or grand manor, but the central story must include one or more murders (hey, it can be a massacre if you like, just as long as its a period massacre). The characters could be solving them, avoiding them or committing them... it's up to you!

Topic 58B: The Power behind the Throne

A political intrigue, an authority figure, a quiet word in the dark - paint a picture in a POW! about how one mysterious character holds all the reins of POWER! The story should show the extent of the characters reach, the way they hold their pawns in check & someone who is trying to take them down. The Power behind the Throne can be the hero, or their opponent can be the focus... it's up to you!

Topic 58C: Cover for A/B

Make a cover for one of the two topics above! Get a nicely designed cover image, but the more graphic and striking the image the better. Think limited palette and vector-like imaging. Make it bold and striking! The design decisions should get you more arbitrary points on the scale of non-existent points than conveying the idea of the comic title.

One or All-Deadline: Sunday, March 18th, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of THREE to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least THREE pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As per a suggestion I received on the last few POW!'s, perhaps everyone should try to post something towards their progress by the end of each week and we'll try and drum up some critique about each post?!? It's not a rule or anything, just for keeping the place fresh and airy.

Post anything you like - breakdowns, script, individual panels, full pages, character designs, whatever.

In the case of anyone who wants to attempt a cover, make sure to read the Reverend Dave Johnson's blog.

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoyed the Dave Johnson link that you posted, I think I'll try to participate this time. I'm still a little rough, and this would be my first comic but I like the challenge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hopped up on Bonanza and Gunsmoke, so I'm doing Part one.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NicoleWG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been watching a lot of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes...

I'm thinking A as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkswift For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

12. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going for Power behind the Throne. Mine is about what happens when a super hero retires and decides to take over a small country to act as her retirement plan. I keep trying to put way too much into these POW!'s though, leading to never finishing the story I have plotted out. Oh well, I may learn this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R3u5 For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't get a chance to post anything for the last week (failed at the first hurdle lol) unlike R3u5- I have some thumbnails ready, I'll scan them in when I have a chance for this friday coming.

So some critique, anyone? I find it hard to crit R3u5's work very hard, because I am in love with that style. "the Butler" makes me think this is for Murder in the Manor, not to mention that Chekhovian gun in the bottom corner, but it could just as easily be for Power behind the Throne, what with "The man in the shadow" and general tone. Murder... is meant to be a period piece, whereas this looks contemporary-ish, but that can be forgiven, as setting the era is the smallest part of these challenges.

This thumbnail would make a great promo for a comic even as is. The golden highlights on "The heir" drag your eye in, then my eye follows the blue floor under "the Brother" and then I notice the hard edges of the gun under him. It makes you - or me, anyway - almost skip over "the Man in the shadow", helping him hide there in plain sight.

Really well designed! I like the look of the characters a lot and I really want to know what that sinister butler is up to!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    R3u5, really digging the style so far. The Butler seems especially suspicious.

Here's my effort so far... try not to judge me too badly, I work crazy messy when I do WIPs (probably why I never let people see them) and this is the first time I've actually posted anything (I've just been lurking for like 2 years...). The WIPs are sort of a weird Frankenstein of traditional and digital, so I'll understand if its they're practically impossible to decipher.

My main storyline is the idea that the family killed their guest in order to consume his heart. I'm not really much of a writer. I was mostly trying to focus on expressions because I have a horrible habit of ignoring them. You know...I think this is my first comic that's actually been more than 3 pages. Hopefully I'll actually finish this! ...also in pg 3, the bottom kitchen scene is missing the cook and everything that should make it look kitchen-y (I'm rather awful at perspective)

Attached Images Attached Images        

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to doppelgangergrl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I can successfully post this, it will be the first thing I've put up on this website. I've been meaning to do one of the challenges for a while, but the timing was always off for me when I checked in. This sounds like a fun topic ( Murder in the Manor ) and for once I may even have time to finish it, so here goes...

Some of you have already got a lot of storyboarding or character design done. All I've got so far is the sketch I started here for my setting, shown on my first page: Landsend House. The story will take place in 1938 or thereabouts. I've got ideas for my main characters, a basic idea of my story, and a fair idea how to show it in 8 pages. So now I start trying to get it down to 4-5, or maybe fewer so I have a prayer of making the deadline...

POW1b by WildBillTurkey, on Flickr

Last edited by donalfall; February 28th, 2012 at 11:22 AM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wild Bill Turkey you can't use the HTML code Flickr generates for you to embed your images so I just edited your post to an Image Link for now. If I remember correctly, you can get Flickr to generate BB Code instead, which gives you the Bulletin Board code you need to embed your picture.

Your style is awesome. Really intricate. I can see how you'ld have to push to get to the deadline. POW! rules mean that if you have 3 pages of the story done mean you qualify for the poll though.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, in Flickr under "share" you just tick BBCode instead of HTML.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by donalfall; February 28th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello all! this is my first time participating. mainly because I only just noticed the event. I really enjoy making comic and have for quite a while. hope to hone some staging skills here, so I'd love any feedback you have.
    it seems like a great topic, so I just started tonight.
    well, this is just the first page. I hope 3 pages will be enough to tell the gag. might need more though.

Name:  MysterP1.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  92.5 KB

@doppelgangergirl- haha! funny story. not sure about your opening shot. also, I can tell it's the man on the plate just bc of the text. ofc that part is still pretty sketch.

@ Wild Bill Turkey-
    I really like that opening shot. it's very powerfull. there is a bit of a perspective issue; the rocks interlocking with the building seem to suggest we're looking up at it. but the bridge clearly shows we're looking up. this flattens the building a bit. should be easy to fix though.

@ r3u5- going for option C then? the style is really cool and fitting. you could put a bit more thought into layout and color coordinating. the 'brother' especially is falling off the page. this one and the man in the shadow are quite weaker then the other drawings here btw. the heir in particular is great! I'd change the sizes of the panels a bit around to see what works best.

Last edited by ashess; March 1st, 2012 at 05:10 PM.
    >>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pencils for my first mystery story page.

Name:  murder_mystery_pencils.png
Views: 358
Size:  386.8 KB

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klortho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @klortho-amazing page there! wow. one thing though. where are you gonna put the text?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, ashess. I map out balloon space in the composition when I do the layout. It's a very tight fit, though. Some of the background drawing definitely gets covered up.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klortho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really don't want to but i'm sure i'll make a last minute desperate attempt on this one just too save face. only because we have new blood and i wanna test my metal....... altough i'm not sure how good my name is these days-haha!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j.s.sabastian your name is always good currency here.

Sorry I was super busy this week you guys. Bloody day job got in the way.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Four out of the five pages I plan on doing for this. I'm going to work on tightening everything up a little bit and doing some work on the text to make it fit the speakers more.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ hugeHarHar -wow.. thats wild stuff!

here's my 2nd page of the murder mystery (poirot-style)

Name:  MysterP2.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  134.8 KB

Last edited by ashess; March 9th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

43. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alittle touch up on er'thang and the 5th page.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugeHarHar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally had some time to finish the layouts for a couple more pages. There's one final page, which will be a full-page panel. I know...not a lot of frames per page. I know I should work on that, but it's tough, I like to draw.

Believe it or not, I'm still holding out hope of making the deadline, even though these are clearly not even working pencils. The writing/layout is the hurdle for me, and I speed up a lot once it's passed.

I will not be doing "spot color" on the girl in the green dress. I just did that as a shorthand for myself to keep track of her through all the panels at the stage in the drawing where she couldn't be recognized by her features. I'll be making lots of changes. The crazy staircase at the bottom of page 2 will be fixed, (again a shorthand to remind myself to use a big curve to match the bridge and the Bugatti) and the loopy perspective I was messing with in the first panel of page three may have to go. It made sense when it was being drawn by itself, but looks incongruous with the rest of the page.

I'm very open to criticism as I get ready to go into finals. Ashess, thanks for your comment! I'm hoping that my final inking will clear up the confusing way in which the foundations of the manor lay into the rocks.
    Here goes:

POW1t by WildBillTurkey, on Flickr

POW2 by WildBillTurkey, on Flickr

POW3 by WildBillTurkey, on Flickr

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails for my four pages:
    Name:  03-12-2012a.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  347.3 KB

Not sure I'll finish, but we'll see.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkswift For This Useful Post:

donalfall (at) gmail.com
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you guys, a dude I work with took a tumble and is out of commission, so I've had double my work hours at the crappy day job grind. Hence I've not been on here much. I doubt I'm going to get my pages done this time around - they're only roughs with 5 days left... oh well, there is some stellar stuff rolling in at the minute, so I don't feel too bad. I'll roll in here later tonight with some thoughts if I have a chance.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wild Bill- oh, it's wonderfull! love the mood especially. it's a great set-up and I want to read the rest already!

@hawkshift- the pages are a little hard to read. espec with no text in there yet. the picture where the girl draws the gun is great though.

@donoval- too bad :/

well, my 3rd. not done by a long run! and it looks like ill need at least 4, quite possibly 4 to tell my story. it's going to be tight to get it somewhat done!

Name:  MysterP3.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  108.9 KB

>>mah tumbr

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, obviously a lot of work left. but the outline is done!

Name:  MysterP1.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  100.4 KB

Name:  MysterP2.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  MysterP3.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  MysterP4.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  MysterP5.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  111.0 KB

Last edited by ashess; March 14th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
    >>mah tumbr

54. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Murder in Manor

Here's my first 3 pages. Pencils on comic art papers.
    I will ink on it very soon.

56. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmyohlaing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My murder mystery story.

Name:  seq_45_l.png
Views: 185
Size:  248.3 KB
    Name:  seq_46_l.png