Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 40 to 47 of 47
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah Bradley View Post
    Live where you create best.
    One can only do what they can. Or make do in our lives.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
    I can't say I've ever noticed that I'm more creative in any particular environment, but I have noticed that I come up with different types of ideas depending where I am.

    I was on holiday two years ago in Feurte Ventura, and I had a dream that gave me a ton of ideas for one of the many comics I had been planning. However, this particular comic idea was one I had got stuck planning, and just 'shelved' for roughly 2 years. But somehow, going to a location so different from my home made something click within my mind, and I was able to finally connect the dots of the idea haha.

    I'm going to Feurte Ventura again on Wednesday; I wonder if I'll have any unusual comic ideas while I'm out there this time? Perhaps I'll let you know when I get back

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchdebunch View Post
    I can't say I've ever noticed that I'm more creative in any particular environment, but I have noticed that I come up with different types of ideas depending where I am.

    I was on holiday two years ago in Feurte Ventura, and I had a dream that gave me a ton of ideas for one of the many comics I had been planning. However, this particular comic idea was one I had got stuck planning, and just 'shelved' for roughly 2 years. But somehow, going to a location so different from my home made something click within my mind, and I was able to finally connect the dots of the idea haha.

    I'm going to Feurte Ventura again on Wednesday; I wonder if I'll have any unusual comic ideas while I'm out there this time? Perhaps I'll let you know when I get back
    Hunch,

    I'm starting to think that it is 50% dependant on where you live that affects your creativity and 50% on your inner drive to make it happen (aka inner motivation/inspiration). I think it's both external and internal. That's been my experience so far.

    I've only been living in this area for about 5 years now so I can't move now due to the previous job that I just left. This area is economically "slow" (not a good thing), despite the college's powerful presence here.

    At the moment, I'm just processing and getting the 'day job' PTSD out of my system.

    And like you, I've had many ideas over the years and still do now. Living in VT did give me some breathing room to think and relax without getting all tensed up from the stress back from my original hometown.

    I've had some ideas to tackle some graphic novels ideas I wanted to pursue and some that I wanted to remake from scratch. So, the good news is that I put the 'day job' distraction out of the way which is the first step so that I can focus on two projects that are ongoing at the moment, juggling between a book cover for a small press author and one iOS game gig with an old friend (from Toronto).

    As long as I have these going for me, I'm going to be okay.

    The next step is to save up enough $$ so that I can move out of this town closer to the big city in Burlington. It may take up to a year or so to pull this off because the old job really screwed my budget with lack of work recently.

    I have'nt had the luxury or time to travel to Boston or Montreal to really discover the places and know if they're going to be right for me, had I the funds to really relocate for real again.

    So, for some people, living rurally may work for them and for those in urban areas, it suits them fine. And that's okay. I've realized that I can't force this town to change for me nor can I do anything about it. This town has a calm sense of complacency and it's not always a good thing, and the local arts scene is very lacking, compared to Cleveland and Burlington (both places I've lived at).

    In some ways, I think complacency=death of creativity.

    But do let me know if you're going to Fuerta Ventura does something to your creativity and your comics inspiration!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    But do let me know if you're going to Fuerta Ventura does something to your creativity and your comics inspiration!
    Yeah I get what you mean; you definitely do need the drive as well. I find that I usually have the drive (at least 85% of the time anyway haha), but sometimes I get stuck in a creative rut and I need something big to get my out of it. Something such as an inspirational artist, film, or music album usually works, but a change of scene can work wonders for me too

    I'm currently at university, which I strange for my creativity because I study in Plymouth, so I'm in a city, and in close proximity to the sea. In contrast, my actual home is much more inland, in a village with lots of trees, and a river running through it. I find that my creativity behaves differently in these two locations as well.

    It seems that wherever I go has some sort of impact on my work. While visiting Portugal, for example, I plotted out an entire sci-fi comic, basing one of the planets on the red earth I had seen there. I ended up scripting it all properly when I got home, and 2 years later had made it into a finished comic. But when I had first arrived in Portugal, I hadn't had any new comic ideas in months!

    I think creative people need to keep their minds open to new experiences of all kinds. Not just new places, but they can really feed their creativity by learning about or experiencing things they would usually not encounter. Sometimes I stumble upon something that seems really insignificant (like the fact that the earth in Portugal was so red compared to the UK), but to me there is something about it that just triggers my creativity, and demands that I use it

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchdebunch View Post
    Yeah I get what you mean; you definitely do need the drive as well. I find that I usually have the drive (at least 85% of the time anyway haha), but sometimes I get stuck in a creative rut and I need something big to get my out of it. Something such as an inspirational artist, film, or music album usually works, but a change of scene can work wonders for me too

    I'm currently at university, which I strange for my creativity because I study in Plymouth, so I'm in a city, and in close proximity to the sea. In contrast, my actual home is much more inland, in a village with lots of trees, and a river running through it. I find that my creativity behaves differently in these two locations as well.

    It seems that wherever I go has some sort of impact on my work. While visiting Portugal, for example, I plotted out an entire sci-fi comic, basing one of the planets on the red earth I had seen there. I ended up scripting it all properly when I got home, and 2 years later had made it into a finished comic. But when I had first arrived in Portugal, I hadn't had any new comic ideas in months!

    I think creative people need to keep their minds open to new experiences of all kinds. Not just new places, but they can really feed their creativity by learning about or experiencing things they would usually not encounter. Sometimes I stumble upon something that seems really insignificant (like the fact that the earth in Portugal was so red compared to the UK), but to me there is something about it that just triggers my creativity, and demands that I use it
    That's interesting because I live in the New England area where some parts of it here were founded by English and French settlers, even some with Scottish/Irish history. I'm in a state where it is run by many small towns or villages.

    But I do agree that some kind of creative inertia happens when the artist travels to a destination near or far to a place that is new. The fresher the experience, the more inspired the artist is. In a way, it's a good thing I have left the day job to free myself of the shackles, but on the other hand, it's a risk when I freelance alone.

    I think as creatives, we're not meant to be shackled and chained.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    But do let me know if you're going to Fuerta Ventura does something to your creativity and your comics inspiration!
    I hope it's not too late to reply to this thread again!

    I've just got back from my holiday, and I would say my creativity came through much easier while I was there; I came back with 22 episode ideas for my comic series. They're at varying levels of completeness, anything from a rough idea to a bullet-pointed plotline which is ready to take to the scripting stage. I'd say it was pretty successful!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunchdebunch For This Useful Post:


  9. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    VT
    Posts
    408
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchdebunch View Post
    I hope it's not too late to reply to this thread again!

    I've just got back from my holiday, and I would say my creativity came through much easier while I was there; I came back with 22 episode ideas for my comic series. They're at varying levels of completeness, anything from a rough idea to a bullet-pointed plotline which is ready to take to the scripting stage. I'd say it was pretty successful!
    That's awesome. It looks like I'll have to travel again in the future when I'm able to save up, now that I left the old job. I think in the Fall, I may travel back to my home town just to get away since it's 600 some miles from here and have'nt visited back there since two years ago.

    I'm sure I'll find renewed inspiration there, now that my old art school got a $5 million dollar donation from a local philanthropist recently. I was supposed to go there this month due to a school reunion but could'nt go due to the budget and insane heatwave.

    And from there, I may visit Boston for the first time as I've never set foot there. Montreal's on my list as well but need a passport to do it first.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    523
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 67 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    That's awesome. It looks like I'll have to travel again in the future when I'm able to save up, now that I left the old job. I think in the Fall, I may travel back to my home town just to get away since it's 600 some miles from here and have'nt visited back there since two years ago.

    I'm sure I'll find renewed inspiration there, now that my old art school got a $5 million dollar donation from a local philanthropist recently. I was supposed to go there this month due to a school reunion but could'nt go due to the budget and insane heatwave.

    And from there, I may visit Boston for the first time as I've never set foot there. Montreal's on my list as well but need a passport to do it first.

    I think travelling to your home town is a great idea! I think with me the main reasons I feel more creative when on holiday are; the fact that I've got no commitments while I'm there, we almost never have plans other than 'sit around the pool at the villa' or 'we're going to a restaurant/the beach'. It means I'm completely relaxed and can allow my mind to wander with no worries about any plans. The second reason is that I get exposed to sights/sounds etc that I wouldn't usually, and they can provide new and interesting things for me to explore artistically.

    For example, while on the plane I came up with two ideas. The first was simply to have an episode of my comic revolve around imps causing chaos on a flight. The second was to have an episode involving minotaurs, and that came purely from seeing an advert for Red Bull on the back of the seat in front of me haha.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook