Thanks

Onward into Game Design

Hello folks of cA. I've been here a while now and its always nice to get inspired to do things. So I have begun my foray into making games. Right now I've started on a 2D side-scrolling platformer. Which means I have been trying to learn some programming. As such here is my first game, which is tentatively labeled a work in progress. I am still adding new levels as I go. But I would really love some feedback from you guys.

Any sort of critique really. Anything from things I should add, things I should fix, how to go about scripting certain things, advice you have on the meta-direction of design so on. Don't be afraid to have a go and say it absolutely sucks either, but if it does please tell me why.

TL.DR
    Here's a game that I've made and still making. Play it, tell me what you think

AS a quick note, this MUSIC in there is not mine, I'm currently making my own music to throw into the game.

PLAY

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 797 Posts
    Love it. The falling animation is really cute, and the long, sweeping jump action is fun and relaxing. I'm also amused by the concept of a tired elf that just wants to go to sleep.

The only thing bugging me at the moment is the clouds. I find them a tad distracting, like they're part of the foreground (similar to Mario) but we can't interact with them, so they must be in the background. Lowering their contrast would help them feel more distant and less eye-catching, and making them longer, more like a pattern than a series of distinct objects would help as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Cute man, as one of the posters on that site pointed out though, the character remains static on a moving platform, so the platform will slip out from under his feet.

What are those enemies? They appear much scarier than the setting around them and are pretty large compared to our hero, despite being the first enemy in the game. But that might just be a completely story driven choice on your part.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Cute man, as one of the posters on that site pointed out though, the character remains static on a moving platform, so the platform will slip out from under his feet.

What are those enemies? They appear much scarier than the setting around them and are pretty large compared to our hero, despite being the first enemy in the game. But that might just be a completely story driven choice on your part.
    Lol yeah! that enemy character is the only sprite I have finished so thats why he's in there, but you definitely have a point, they should probably be placed in later on. One of my plans for today is to get more sprites done, and to make the general atmosphere more cohesive. They are supposed to be some weird worm soldiers. I drew up a whole story, but I'm going to put that in last once I iron out the more mechanical aspects. But maybe that should come in earlier just so people aren't confused.

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    cool!
    What language are you using and how long have you been learning programming?

I was learning C++ by myself for a while but only did some simple text adventures. Will pick it up again some times.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    I'm using Scratch, through this program called Stencyl Works. which is designed to make programming a lot easier for beginners. there's a lot of pregenerated parameters for the code, but essentially I still have to figure out how to do things. and then put them together. The good part is it allows me to keep all my assets organized into, relevant categories.

Thanks
    Very cute! I also thought you could jump on the clouds. I wish you did compose the music because it fits to me. I can't get past the third level....

I think there should be some way of telling the player how to play. And I liked how he just wants to sleep!

Thanks

Thanks
    oooooo Yummy treats for my brain!
    Thanks Flashback!

Thanks
    I love it! I have the same comments as dierat and Star Eater, but it's great, especially for a first game.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msafs View Post
    I love it! I have the same comments as dierat and Star Eater, but it's great, especially for a first game.
    thanks msafs! I managed to fix the moving platforms not sticking the character. And added a new BG. Right now I'm popping in some new tilesets. And I'll add one or two new actors.