Art: Finally decided on graphic design

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finally decided on graphic design

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally decided on graphic design

Hello, I am a sophomore in highschool and I have decided to try art. I think Im creative enough to try, with ideas constantly floating in and out of my head. I took the PSAT, put Visual Arts as an interest, and got letters from both Brown and RISD. Knowing about their dual enrollement thing, I decided to look up what a portfolio is made up of. I wanted to know if I want to apply to RISD or any other art school, can my portfolio be made up of only graphic designs? i know i should put in sketches, however i am not talented at any other art (painting, drawing, oils, sculpting, etc.) except Photography.

I guess Im just asking:
    if i can limit myself to just Graphic Design in my portfolio.
    What I should put in my portfolio. (subject matter, still lives, etc.)
    And is there anything i can do to increase my chances of getting into an art school?

Thank you, and i apologize in advance if im posting this in the wrong area.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

Can you explain more in detail about Graphic Design? Examples such as advertising, logo making, posters, flyers etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ummm. I would focus more on Kidkiyzer said. Graphic design is more along the lines of Brochures, letterhead, logos, packaging, etc... Having a good understanding of color harmony, composition, etc helps. Since you are in highschool, I am assuming you haven't done any actual design work. You can make some up at this stage. I would do something like.

1. Business card, letterhead, envelope redesign
    2. logo design
    3. a brochure or booklet
    4. poster & postcard

I would also contact the art school you are wanting to attend and see what you are supposed to submit. Honestly though, for Graphic Design, some of the best designers I've hired are self taught, and some of the worst portfolio's I've reviewed were from kids who came from art school. I'm not saying, don't go to school for Graphic Design, I'm saying, you my not need to go to a high dollar art school for it. I think illustration, and fine art is a bit different in that regard.

For inspiration check out some of the galleries on the BeHance Network, fudgegraphics.com, abduzeedo.com, dribbble.com, etc.

If you put some stuff together, PM me and I'll take a look at it for you.

Last edited by LAG; February 27th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
    Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for the late response, I've been busy with school work. (AP Tests approaching). To answer your questions:

@Kidkiyer - Im thinking of anywhere from logo design to advertisement. Basically anything that lets me create an image on the computer.

@LAG- Unfortunately, the only thing i can think of are advertisements focused on images, such as posters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with LAG on many of the things he’s pointed out. You are already a sophomore in high school, yet you make it sound like out of the blue you suddenly want to do art. You have ideas that flow in and out, but do you like art? Also I know you said that you are not talented at other art, but I don’t think you should completely discredit them. How many (if any) painting courses have you taken in high school? It would look very nice in a portfolio to have a variety of art and not just one thing. Back when I was in middle school I drew constantly, but it was mainly just anime style. I refused to draw anything else because I was good at what I did and didn’t feel a need to practice painting or sculpting. Then I met an awesome teacher in high school who encouraged me to try other mediums. I found myself engrossed in a

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    graphic design is limitless. things like brochures and business cards and flyers and stuff is what you would do if you were employed by a very refined, formal company, you can do things like stickers, tee shirts, posters, banners, web images just to name a few. what i have been encouraged to include in my portfolio is most of my favorit work along with things like the steps you took in thinking up the design, ect. brainstorms, draft sketches and influencial pictures (remembering to reference the artist.) and lets say your school is having a competition for designing a banner that will be used at assemblies or public events and you win it, if your lucky enough to get things like that its definitely worth the points. or maybe you could do some work experience with some local signwriters or graphics designers to build on your portfolio.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hurd people with adhd is good at graphic design. I hope that helps for something.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.