Thread: In a rut...

Thanks

In a rut...

I found this forum about 3 months ago, and tonight I took the time to go through the 'finished' section and looked at dozens upon dozens of images.
    First of all, I'd like to say I've never been more motivated in my entire life. I've recently picked up a wacom tablet, and some books from the library on some basic drawing, and I've really felt the need to sit down and draw.

Thing is...I suck.

About 5-6 years ago, I used to draw everyday and I guess some of my drawings would be pretty decent. Nowadays though, it seems like I can't draw anything!
    It's like I can only draw something that has already been drawn out.

Damn...This post is really going nowhere, and this inspiration seemed to turn into depression because I can't feel I can produce any of the work I've seen here.

Art School.

I'm really starting to think about it, but it will de-rail all my plans for the next couple years, because I was thinking about taking a new media course.

Can I get some of your guys opinions? Were any of you guys shitty before going into art school, and by the end, you found your 'light'? What were some of the first things you started to draw after you realized you wanted to become serious?

Any words will probably help me out right now; Thanks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Draw *EVERY DAY*

wildkarrde, I found CA about 6 months ago. I was having sort of a quarter-life crisis and totally stressing out about what I was going to do and how I was going to get out of the dead end job I've got at the moment.

Like yourself, I was blown away at the shear volume of talent here, and I *knew* I'd found my long lost home. I found the DSG and signed up and started sketching. But also like yourself, I couldn't draw my way out of the proverbial wet paper bag. It had been *years* (like 10+) since I had drawn anything other than silly cartoon figures, and my illustrative skills were seriously lacking.

The thing is, you have to recognize where you are right now and move forward with that. You, like myself, have to go through and relearn a lot of material. My anatomy was off, my composition sucked like a black hole. My color was horrendous (can we say "OVER SATURATE" **EVERYTHING**). It will come back to you, and you will surpass where you were when you stopped drawing. And, you will feel better.

It's a growth process, and growing is never entirely fun or painless. It's often very frustrating and confusing. Especially if you are trying to do something that you *know* you can do because dammit, you've done it before so why in the hell does it look like that? It's all part of it.

The main thing is to draw *every day*. And if, for some reason you really can't draw during your day, *think* about drawing. Mentially run a scenario in your head of you physically drawing. It helps.

Also, use a sketch book. Drawing on the computer is great, but it really uses a different process than drawing in a sketchbook. And that way you won't be tied down to using the computer and your skills will be stronger because of it.

While you are at it, use reference material. Keep an archive of images that are striking to you and refernce them frequently. I have a HUGE file on the computer that I save images into all the time. I break them down into People, Animals, Environments, Art (illustrative, sculpture, etc.) Buildings and Landscapes. I'm checking that file all the time. And I'm dumping stuff in there all the time. If I see something that I find interesing, it gets saved in a heart beat. I check out the photo journals on CNN and MSNBC and the BBC a lot. And if they use flash to prevent saving, I just use the Print Screen option and then paste and crop the image in Photoshop (you can use whatever art program you have to do the same thing).

But draw every day. And be attentive to things around you. Images, shapes, lighting, people, environments. Everything. Start pulling your observations into you sketches.

Don't worry that you feel like you suck. We've *all* been there. I go back frequently but keep working at it.

Hope that helps. Just remember, draw every day. You'll get better, I promise.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Take some figure drawing classes ASAP!

That's what sparked my interest and it was(and still is) one of my favorite things to do. Plus it's the backbone to drawing!(imo) go to a junior college and see if they offer fig drawing classes and just go for it! Stick with them for a while, increase your knowledge on art and after a while(about a year or so, if you've dedicated the time) you'll have a portfolio ready, and you can go to an art school. It's what I did and I'm lovin it.
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.