Art: My Pre-Portfolio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Pre-Portfolio

Hello people.

This is my first post, so sorry if posted anything wrong.
    So, here's the situation. I am posting here some of my works that I've recently done. I am senior at my high school now in Czech Republic. But I want to send my future portfolio to some art schools in USA, especially to Pasadena.

My only experience with automotive design is based on watching Scott Robertson's DVD: How to draw cars, that is how I started drawing actually. Ever since, I was training my wrist to draw straight lines and good curves, just like Scott suggested.
    So all of my works are freehand (what a surprise :-D).

I just would be glad, if someone will criticize my works and say if I have the, I would say, skills needed to study such a prestige art school like ACCD. Of course I haven't that much money for fees, so my only option is to get a financial help from the school ...

Sorry, but the attachments aren't working for me, so here's a link:
    http://maximovm.blogspot.com/2012/02...portfolio.html

P.S. Thx and sorry for my bad english

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya,

It would help if you said what major you're shooting for at Art Center. I actually applied a few weeks ago, so I'm still waiting on a reply. My portfolio is up on this forum as well.

I think your work looks good but it's more like sketchbook work rather than finished pieces I would say. It's great to incorporate this in your portfolio but be sure you get some finished pieces of your own as well. Because a lot of the shapes I see in there are the ones directly from the DVD. So just be aware of that.

Take what you learned from that and apply it to a design you came up with.
    If you can let me know what major you're shooting for I might be able to be more specific.

Cheers,

Saradain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Saradain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posted a reply before apparently it didn't go through.

So if this shows up twice I apologize.

Anyway I said your work looks good but it's looking more like sketchbook work right now, showing how you practice etc. Which is good but a lot of the shapes you have in there are those straight off of the DVD. So just be aware of that.

They are going to want to see how you apply this to your own designs. So I would say try to come up with some of your own designs and show some more finished pieces.

Also it would help if you could let us know what major you're shooting for since I applied to Art Center a couple of weeks ago, my portfolio is up on this forum as well. So I might be able to give you some more feedback based on that.

Cheers,

Saradain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saradain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are some lovely car designs. You've really put in a dedicated study and you can see your hard work in understanding space. I'd work on the human form next.

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

:: sketchbook :: website :: email :: facebook ::

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RachelRalston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for your post. Appreciate it
    So, do you think I could get to the art college, if I work myself out for one more year?
    It's just that my parents want me to study medicine, saying, that design won't feed me. Also I think it is very difficult to get to the USA, because I am from Czech Republic. Definitely don't have so much money .

I'd be glad if you write me your opinion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Heya,

It would help if you said what major you're shooting for at Art Center. I actually applied a few weeks ago, so I'm still waiting on a reply. My portfolio is up on this forum as well.

I think your work looks good but it's more like sketchbook work rather than finished pieces I would say. It's great to incorporate this in your portfolio but be sure you get some finished pieces of your own as well. Because a lot of the shapes I see in there are the ones directly from the DVD. So just be aware of that.

If you can let me know what major you're shooting for I might be able to be more specific.

Cheers,

Saradain
    Hey there. I want to apply for Transportation design. Yes, I am aware of it, that's why I wrote that this is just my Pre-Portfolio.. I will add just some of these to my future portfolio. I just wanted to know, if I have any chance to get there with the skills I have now. Of course, I will do concepts, that will consist of several views with one or two finished in Photoshop.

You know, I posted my portfolio here, because like I said before, I have no money to leave Czech Republic and to pay the enormous fees at school and to live there. So my only chance is to get a scholarship. Which is something really difficult in my point of view.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradain View Post
    Heya,

Cheers,

Saradain
    Hey there. Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. Actually, my post didn't go through either. Anyways, I want to go for Transportation design program. Yeah, I know I haven't got any finished ones, because I just wanted to know, if I have a chance to get there with the skills I have now. Of course, my future portfolio will consist of like 8 finished pieces and some of these from sketchbook.
    Again, I posted my works here, because I don't really know, if I stand a chance with such a good school. Because my only chance is to get some sort of scholarship. Can't afford going there with no money apparently.

Any help from you guys appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Just posted some new works of mine to my blog. Feel free to comment ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Saradin. Sorry, but my answers to you seem not to push up. I said that I want to go for Transportation design program and that I am aware of these unfinished pieces. I will do a Portfolio with more of finished ones and I will include some of these from my sketchbook. I just wanted to know, if I have any chance getting there. My only chance is to get a some sort of scholarship, because I don't have that much money to pay fees. Just wanted to know, if I am capable of being a good designer. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go for it man, good designers are paid as much as doctors you know. Be sure to give everything you have to what you love.

I think you must exercise more btw, see if you can bring that enthusiasm over the time cause i can see you're only doing what Roberson have show on the gnomon dvd. Why don't you actually try to design something for real using that knowledge? I think it will be fine and i think that makes you understand what are the problems you are going to solve in this kind of work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2Hitsu> Thanks What do you think about 3 last pics? I mean I am working on a mini-project of a car right now, want to draw various views of the car and some details as you can see on the pic before last. I want to gather them and make a big "screen" of it, sort it and finish it with one view in PS. Do you think this style gonna work for the school submission portfolio? I want to get to Pasadena so bad man... Thx anyways ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cars are ok, i see that you perfectly get the perspective technique which is not for everyone (i mean, as i said before in those days, vehicle designers are rare but much more rare are vehicle designers that can do something that might actually work and not only looks cool and slick). You know, todays car are much easier to design cause they're all curves and shine. But if there's something i've understood is that curves and shines does sci-fi futuristic badass cars and buildings and props ecc ecc... but angles plus curves plus details make something much more believable than ever. If you look at the most advanced designs in earth which are war planes you'll see that they are a mix of curves and angles. It is something about human brain i guess, about angles = solid and fast so you might want to keep this stuff in mind when designing something. Anyway man jump off the fun car designs and start something more complex like some utility vehicle. You know something that might have a urban purpose like trains, taxi, street cleaners or something that might have a different purpose like a truck, a safari jeep, a tuck that comes to life and fight agains other vehicles... uhm ops maybe not this last one XD Anyway something useful that might be everything, even some mobile trash can that goes to empty himself when he's full, or maybe an environment vehicle like snowcats or aqua scooters or something that can let you run on the moon or fly off from a building. I think that those are the most interesting things that you might design and those thing will make you look a real professional to everyone, even your parents.

Last edited by Hitsu//San; March 1st, 2012 at 11:21 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hitsu//San> Thank you very much for advices, and so comprehensive answer Will keep that in mind ...I am finishing that car project tomorrow and hopefully, I will have some next ideas on designs. You've inspired me
    P.S. I would like to look more professional to my parents, cause they don't think I can handle this kind of job in the future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i thought well then let us see the updates when you finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so here are some other works that are more likely to appear in my portfolio ... I did sketch this speed boat and a something like a catamaran. Then I took transparent paper, and did an overlay, which is just the shading (no curves at all). Then I pin the initial sketch and this transparent paper with shading and scanned it. The picture may not look good in computers, but I think it makes a very good look in real. I didn't learn anything about shading and rendering, so I did it (with charcoal) how I felt it could look like in reality. Well, please criticize )) Thanks!

My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My posts are not going through. ... So again. I did sketch a speed boat and something like a catamaran recently. In case of catamaran, I took a transparent paper and did an overlay, which was just the shading without curves. Then I pinned the initial sketch and the overlay together and scanned it. It may look loose on computer, but when I look at it physically, I think it is good-looking. I didn't learn anything about rendering or shading yet, but I shaded it, how I felt it would look in reality. So, please criticize )) Thanks!

My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio
    My Pre-Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some more sketches

So I am back with some new works. I did sketch a speed boat and something like a catamaran recently. In case of catamaran, I took a transparent paper and did an overlay, which was just shading without any curves. Then I pinned the initial sketch and the overlay together and scanned it.
    I didn't learn about rendering techniques yet, so I did the shading as I felt it could look like (actually, the shading was done while I was waiting for my friend in KFC :-D). It may not look good on the computer (scanned), but it looks good when I look at it physically. So please criticize) Thanks !

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't get this. For me, the quick replies are functional only. When I click on Post Reply, and I write a post and add some pics in manager, it says to me, that it will be visible when someone approves it. But nobody is approving it. And I can't add pictures in the quick reply, it's not working. ( So am I confused, or somebody is just sleeping instead of approving? :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhm man there's no pic anywhere. I had your problem too some days ago, it can be a random problem on this forum, i don't think there must be someone to approve your comment everytime someone post something in here cause it will be a 24h job. Try relogging the site and use the advanced post button. Waiting to see your works

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, the pics were displaying yesterday. Anyways, again. So. I did some other works recently. A speed boat and a something like a catamaran. All my perspective sketches are done with ballpoint pen. In case of this catamaran, I took a transparent paper and did an overlay, which is just the shading without any curves. Then I pinned the two and scanned. It may not look good on computers, but it is actually good-looking when I look at it physically. Didn't learn anything about rendering or shading, but I shaded it as I felt it could look like. So please critics are very welcome ... Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They're ok but you're missing an important thing, details. It doesn't matter what kind of detail, for something to look realistic it must have lots of details. Our eyes are used to perceive every single object or mass with a certain amount of detail density. Even the most common object you might think of will have a huge amount of details, they can be everything, from surface shade to color reflection. Take some references when you are designing something and look to what are the most common details that you might want to add to your design to look realistic. An example in boats there are lots of stencil stripes or handbars and things like that. When you're presenting something like a design never paint in background if it's not a full rendering or you're doing a very sold background with 1 or maybe 2 gradients. If you do something like your last design you are messing with shape reading cause you're using the same colors and values to pain inside the boat and outside creating a continuity that makes your boat shape hard to read. Stick with shadow and your subject, the background is important only after a certain degree.

Anyway you're getting more good keep up like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, thanks for critique I did forget about references actually .. And yes, now it is obvious to me too, the level detail is very very small. So, will keep up working on some boats maybe airplanes and details

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You might want to see this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looked into the thread. Well, but I didn't get the point here. The guy needs to start from the beginning I think, from basic perspective techniques.
    Anyways, I kept in mind your advice and I just draw another speed boat with some more details. Here it is>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muuuch better, great 1 point perspective. Then i will suggest certain degree of details that helps in reading the forms. such some cool stripes on sides to help us see how the forms are cause in a frontal view like this without shadows or highlights it's a bit hard to read. Do you know how to do a fast highlight pass? (CG or traditional medium it doesn't matter)

About that thread, your knowledge is much better than that but you might inspire each other cause you two are starting out from the same point. You need to look out and see what other people do too and to do that if you find something at pretty much your same level you learn to spot mistakes and what lacks in some designs. If you look to something finished generally is so much overwhelmed by details and complexity that you hardly know how to reverse engineer it and it's almost impossible to know if there are mistakes or not. I will let you look to some of my designs if i could but i think they will let you cause my technique is similar but with a totally different approach (more extremely fast sketching with a lot of details and guessing, you don't need this kind of stuff).

Last edited by Hitsu//San; March 4th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This fast highlight pass, what is this? Never heard of it. Would be pleased if you explain some how to
    Well yes, I do look on other people's sketchbooks here on concept art and generally on google too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never seen a draw made on black paper where you do lights instead of shadows to pop out forms? That's an highlight pass. To do it digitally you just need to choose a color around 50 b/w and multiply it on your design, then pass a transparency white on highlight spots on your design. It's much more simple to see it, if you want i'll show you one in one of your designs. It's very quick.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes please .. try it on the last for example ;-) ... Thanks !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here, if you want the psd file just send me a pm so you can see how it works.

It's super easy and super quick and the result is good looking, not finished, but much more easy than do a complete render pass and much more professional than some lines on a white paper

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, I get this now Yeah, it is quick obviously, and looks good too. Will try it out asap. Happily I've got a wacom tablet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.