How do you price your work?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: How do you price your work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do you price your work?

How do I price freelance projects?
    Hourly price x anticipated hours+ incidentals?
    Off the top of my head I think $20/hour is a reasonable hourly, but I'm struggling to justify fair pricing to myself. Or is 20/hour crazy low and it would make me look unprofessional? I'm a new professional. I have my bfa and have gotten my feet wet professionally, but only just so.
    How do I price to have people take me seriously, but will also reflect my entry level experience...

If you're interested, check out my work at my website. I just redesigned my site and it's in need of content on the about page, but if you have a comment on the site, I'd love to hear it.

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

:: sketchbook :: website :: email :: facebook ::
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RachelRalston View Post
    How do I price freelance projects?
    Hourly price x anticipated hours+ incidentals?
    Off the top of my head I think $20/hour is a reasonable hourly, but I'm struggling to justify fair pricing to myself. Or is 20/hour crazy low and it would make me look unprofessional? I'm a new professional. I have my bfa and have gotten my feet wet professionally, but only just so.
    How do I price to have people take me seriously, but will also reflect my entry level experience...

If you're interested, check out my work at my website. I just redesigned my site and it's in need of content on the about page, but if you have a comment on the site, I'd love to hear it.
    Wel if your freelancing and self employed you must price it to include your taxes you can look up tax rates but all self employed people pay 15% employment tax that is non negotiable. On top of that you have county, state and federal taxes which account for another 20% to 35% depending where you live. Plus materials and expenses so you will be lucky to keep 50 cents on the dollar. So twenty bucks an hour translates to 40k a year if your full time, which you won't be because your freelancing. So if you only actually keep 50% of that; can you live off of 15 to 20k a year?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dpaint- that's a great way to think of it. Ive never done the math out in a large scale like that. Though that's not the amount I'd want to make forever, I am capable of surviving on very little right now. Which means that now is probably a great time to go metaphorical balls out on this...

People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily. -Zig Ziglar

:: sketchbook :: website :: email :: facebook ::

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.