Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 544 Posts

C.O.W. #249. Fungal Beast - WIPs Thread

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #249: Fungal Beast

topic:

ROUND#249 - Fungal Beast

This week will be an exploration into symbiosis and the wonderful world of fungi. Your job is to design a creature that is either: partially/wholly comprised of fungus, or is the host organism for fungal growth. Think about the environments that fungi grow in, and what that may tell about the creature. How would this symbiosis aid the creature? If the creature is partially made of fungus, think about the role that spores may play in their life cycle, perhaps that’s the creature’s primary method of reproduction. Fungus comes in all shapes and colours so it would be a good idea to get some reference so you can really get creative with your designs.

Round Requirements:
    - The creature must be in some way comprised of, or function as host organism to, fungal growths

- The creature’s relationship to fungi should be symbiotic (i.e. beneficial to both parties)

- The fungus should either comprise at least 50% of the creature (or if the creature is the host for the fungus, the fungus’ total size should be at least 50% the size of the creature)

Deadline:

February 22nd, 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I do like magic mushrooms
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,746 Times in 686 Posts
    a few ideas popped into my head, so I whipped up a couple composition thumbs, a few silhouettes and just a quick doodle

Attachment 1423397
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A quick question to clarify the brief. So you could create one of three creatures. An animal that has a symbiotic relationship with a fungus. A beast that is partially fungus itself. And an animal that is just a fungus monster wholly.

I'm sure about the first two but unsure about the last one as the topic revolves around symbiosis but in the brief it says "Wholly/partially comprised of fungus". So does that mean a walking fungus monster is o.k?

Sorry to be picky but I’m planning on doing this one as part of my university course.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Awesome topic!

Thanks
    I think I want to keep mine as scientific and believable as possible.

What I had in mind was, a tiny insectivore that lives in sub-tropical forests, with a fungus that lives inside it's tail. During the dry season, the fungus produces it's fruiting body (mushroom). It can do this because it's using moisture inside the animal, instead of relying on the rain.

The fruiting body produces a sticky substance that attracts insects, when they feed, it paralyzes them. The animal can then eat the insects. This is very beneficial to the animal, because food is more scare during the dry season. This also allows the animal to burn fewer calories looking for food, so it can focus on reproduction.

The fungus releases spores during this time, which fall onto the ground, and stay there until rainy season. Once it rains, the fungus produces a different kind of fruiting body that attracts the new generation of the mammal, which eat it, and the cycle starts all over again.

The fungus lives inside the animal it's entire life, and will produce it's fruiting body every year. Because the animal can spend half of the year relatively stagnant, it has a longer lifespan than what is normal for mammals it's size, about 6-7 years.

During the rainy season, the mammal has a crusty scab like growth on it's tail, and hunts insects on it's own.

Now I just need to focus on what they look like. Right now they're too generic.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpiralHorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool. I'm in
    Sculpt some more.
    My path of learning (sb)
    What I do
    wellander.com
    Where I sell my sculptures
    Galleri Hantverket
    Where I have my studio
    Bryggeriet

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lander For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting topic!
    Concept:

Thanks

Perlimenary Sketches

Here are some of my first lot of sketches. I always end up skipping out the thumbnails, the creatures just grow as I doodle.

Left Caterpillar beast: Grows vertical like a mushroom complete with hood which it molts at maturity. it then detaches itself from the root system, the side that hits the floor grows stumpy legs, the other large hard plates with the consistency of wood. Eats trees and noks many over as it forages, releases spoors which then grow on the now dead trees.

Middle Mushroom horn: Scavenger that wonders the forest eating dead wood and corpses. The antlers are simply for show, displaying the fact that it is incredibly poisonous. Breaths through slits in its chest which permanently release mucus which also contains spoors. As it wonders through the woods it will eventual walk across the path another Mushroom horn. From this location infants will from beneath the ground. As many adults will gather around a large dead body infants will dig out of the ground beneath skeletons, locals see this mushroom monster as an omen of death.

Metropolis: THe Metropolis wasp lives within the body of the Metropolis Fungus. Following the pheromone trail of the drones the hives queen will guid the fungus host past obstacles towards new hunting grounds. Scientists are not sure exactly sure how she does this but it is logical that pheromones and sound are involved. Her head protrudes from the chest but her abdomen remains safely within connected to the bruid chamber. The wasps kill insects and collect flesh from cadavers. However they do not eat it but leave it in special chambers to be consumed by the Fungus. The Wasps then eat thier mobile guardian who continually heals.

This is only the second COTW I’ve done and realy enjoying myself. Goodluck everyone.

Thanks

Sketchbook WIP

Attachment 1423652

Here are some of my first lot of sketches. I always end up skipping out the thumbnails, the creatures just grow as I doodle.

Left Caterpillar beast: Grows vertical like a mushroom complete with hood which it molts at maturity. it then detaches itself from the root system, the side that hits the floor grows stumpy legs, the other large hard plates with the consistency of wood. Eats trees and noks many over as it forages, releases spoors which then grow on the now dead trees.

Middle Mushroom horn: Scavenger that wonders the forest eating dead wood and corpses. The antlers are simply for show, displaying the fact that it is incredibly poisonous. Breaths through slits in its chest which permanently release mucus which also contains spoors. As it wonders through the woods it will eventual walk across the path another Mushroom horn. From this location infants will from beneath the ground. As many adults will gather around a large dead body infants will dig out of the ground beneath skeletons, locals see this mushroom monster as an omen of death.

Metropolis: THe Metropolis wasp lives within the body of the Metropolis Fungus. Following the pheromone trail of the drones the hives queen will guid the fungus host past obstacles towards new hunting grounds. Scientists are not sure exactly sure how she does this but it is logical that pheromones and sound are involved. Her head protrudes from the chest but her abdomen remains safely within connected to the bruid chamber. The wasps kill insects and collect flesh from cadavers. However they do not eat it but leave it in special chambers to be consumed by the Fungus. The Wasps then eat thier mobile guardian who continually heals.

This is only the second COTW I’ve done and realy enjoying myself. Goodluck everyone.

(sorry if this apears twice it didnt work the first time I thought.)

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh cruel fate! My laptop just broke...again, and thus needs immediate repair. I have serious doubts that I will have the time to finish one this week. NO! It's okay...Go on without me!
    I'll just cheer from the sidelines.
    (And I already had some ideas floating around the old noggin, too.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,532 Times in 544 Posts
    AlmightyPillock - To answer your question, the implication is that if your creature is entirely comprised of fungus the fungus is benefiting it in some way. Don't stress yourself out too much over the semantics.
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    This topic makes me think of the Fungi from Yuggoth. Maybe that's because I've been busy illustrating as lot of Lovecraft creatures lately.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast