Is it actually rude to listen to music during life drawing - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is it actually rude to listen to music during life drawing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Well Bill hopefully I can add you to that list someday and fix the problem.
    It can't hurt to have the best on your list.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teacher's right to choose the rules.

However, I don't find it to be a problem. It's not distracting for me, and generally people just need to turn down their earbuds a little and it won't make much noise. My life drawing classes have had it, and others have not. It's a flexible relative thing, like all social norms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coming from a big music lover who can't do anything without listening to some soothing Enya, my answer would be yes. I believe it is rude because there's always the potential of bothering other artists near you. I've had to deal with this during some of my drawing classes and my only remedy was to bring my own MP3 player. I feel it was unnecessary seeing as the whole point was to learn, not worry about being bothered by the guy across the room blasting Rick Ross through his earbuds.

P.R.I.D.E.

Professional
    Results
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
    [/CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this topic is already dead, but the constant pointing out that people playing their music loudly from their headphones doesn't really tie into it being rude to use them at all.

It's like having a dinner party and one person starts shouting everything they say, it doesn't mean that speaking is rude, it's just inconsiderate to speak loudly to the point that makes it difficult for anyone else to converse.

If they're not checking to make sure their music isn't too loud that's rude regardless of what the rules are.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whenever people try to talk to me with my headphones on or watch people trying to talk to people with headphones on, it reminds me of this

It's standoffish behavior people get when you interrupt them when they're wearing headphones. I don't like being disturbed either, but damn sometimes people are trying to be helpful like "hey your fly is undone" "You dropped your wallet" and usually your first thought is "Fuck don't bug me, I got headphones on"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenzybaR View Post
    It's like having a dinner party and one person starts shouting everything they say, it doesn't mean that speaking is rude, it's just inconsiderate to speak loudly to the point that makes it difficult for anyone else to converse.
    Going with the dinner party analogy -

If I'm hosting a dinner party, and we're seated at the table, and one of my guests has headphones on so she can listen to her music (perhaps because she enjoys food more when there's music playing), that guest is unquestionably behaving rudely. Even if no sound escapes from her headphones to interfere with other guests' conversation.

Well, just a thought.

Although I still maintain that the question of whether it's polite or impolite to listen to music via headphones in an instructional setting is essentially irrelevant. The relevant question is whether the instructor permits it. It's not about polite behavior; it's about the instructor's right to set certain rules. And the instructor - by time honored precedent - may set such rules on whatever basis she likes, including her whims, habits, or irrational biases.

And, as I've previously noted, a related question should be whether, in a setting where headphone use is permitted by the instructor, a student might not want to break her dependence on canned music, anyway. The claim that "I can only focus on my drawing when I'm listening to my tunes," is not so much an argument in defense of permitting headphone use, as it is an identification of a dependency which the student might well be advised to outgrow.

Liking to listen to music while you draw is one thing. Needing to listen to music in order to do your drawing is something else again.
    --
    Michael

Last edited by 123Michael321; February 27th, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it more rude when people are shooting the shit in the life-drawing class while your trying to concentrate in your drawing.

*** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 123Michael321 View Post
    Going with the dinner party analogy -

If I'm hosting a dinner party, and we're seated at the table, and one of my guests has headphones on so she can listen to her music (perhaps because she enjoys food more when there's music playing), that guest is unquestionably behaving rudely. Even if no sound escapes from her headphones to interfere with other guests' conversation.
    The problem is that is a social setting where everyone is expected to pitch in vocally requiring that the people present at the very least do not exclude themselves in such an explicit way.

I totally agree with you, it's up to the person running the session to set the rules. And I prefer drawing with music but can and have been doing without easily. Anyone who can't do without needs to learn to do so, can't live life in a bubble.
    I just wanted to know what more seasoned artists thought on the issue.

But to wear headphones at a dinner party is like to bring balloons to the bed of a dying man. It's just not the time or place.

And I'm finding it interesting that gaining the attention of someone wearing headphones is now as hard daunting/troubling as removing honey from a bears mouth. There was a guy in my classroom wearing headphones, loudly, and i just gave a little wave and started talking to him.
    A tap on the shoulder disarms headphones quite nicely too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    I find it more rude when people are shooting the shit in the life-drawing class while your trying to concentrate in your drawing.
    This.

Current Projects:
    3D CyberPunk Characters W.I.P

Bloghttp://z3nzy-fmp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    I fully intend to become rich as fuck through art. How you ask? By being awesome.
    Awesome artists get rich. You guys just don't love art enough to get rich. Maybe if you cared about money more you might have more motivation to get awesome.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.