Sketchbook: Sasha's Learning Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sasha's Learning Sketchbook

Last edited by Sasha Fietskova; October 5th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, welcome to Ca
    yeah good sketches for the start, so you need book recommendations, i think the best choices were:
    Andrew Loomis- "drawing for all it's worth" and "drawing the head and hands"
    George B. Bridgeman- all of his books were great just start with "constructive anatomy"
    Burne Hogarth- the same as Bridgeman, I bought "Dynamic Anatomy" (his and Bridgemans books are a little bit harder to understand than loomis')
    and the most expensive (but they worth the money) Gottfried Bammes (most of his books were on german but still interpretable, only a little were translated)

*edit: some of them can be found as scan in the internet

i hope i could help you ^^'

visit my Sketchbook!
    Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neyut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, welcome! I think you're off to a good start.

One recommendation I have is to just carefully measure out angles and things. Proportions are really important (and something I've typically struggled with) and absolutely essential if you want to do any sort of portraiture. The human face is really intricate, with lots of subtle planes and angles... small mistakes get amplified. It's one thing to produce a nice eye, but it's another to make sure it's in the correct spot and fits in with the rest of the face. Studying skulls, like you're doing, and also measuring out the head, is a great way to get more familiar with proportions.

Anyhow, just keep up the good work. You're already a step ahead of some people-- you seem to be good at really observing what you're seeing. It'll take time for you to see progress, but I'm sure you'll improve if you keep at it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Great start!

All of your drawings show a ton of potential! I'm the same age of when u made those drawings you posted and I'm way behind you! I'm jealous.
    But I noticed you said you throw out a lot of drawings; I do the same thing and I've been trying to stop, because when you throw drawings out you can't look back on them and learn how to improve. Try to post everything. It can help you study what you need to work on. I'm by no means an expert in ANY way, but its just a suggestion that I think will help

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nichsweetd19 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd just like to say you seem to have great control over your lines, I think that's particularly evident in your most recent studies.

Keep it up, and good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NasserC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks again for the comment I have to agree with nasser your have great control over your lines I also think you are very good at shading as well especially on the hand drawings.
    btw in your last couple of drawings what kind of paper are you using I remember using it before and it being very good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to triggerpigking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Devina View Post
    a young Richard Dawkins. very unhappy with it. and drawing generally. i'm working and don't have enough time to study the books i want
    and not sure starting to draw at 22 is a good idea.
    Nice stuff here; in fact, you're making the rest of us noobs look bad. Learning to draw well is a marathon, not a sprint, so in my opinion consistency is far more important than a head start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the texture of the papers great for sketching can't really find sketchbook paper around my area although now ive got something to look for next time i'm in an artshop.
    btw did you do them figures from imagination? either way theyre really good.
    Also youve probably been told this a million times already but have you got the other loomis books and bridgemans stuff yet?
    Don't bother buying them though like I stupidly did and download them (in retrospect I can't remember why) the books are giant and just get in the way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to triggerpigking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's never too late to start anything even if you're 22 years old. There is no age limit in learning, right?

So far, you've progressed well with your drawings and it seems like you've got a hold of your anatomy properly. At the beginning, your sketches of people were proportionally off but now, your latest sketches showed that you understood the rule of proportions. More sketches, more better! Why not do the full figure anatomically as your next step? Take your challenges to the next level.

As for the tablet, Wacom is generally the best brand for tablets so if you're looking to start off, Bamboo is good to start off because they're cheap, smaller, and made specifically for beginners so go for it.

Keep it up with good work!

- LKA.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to L.A. KARKERA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and not sure starting to draw at 22 is a good idea.
    Attachment 1426427
    Is this because at 22 many artists are professionals or quasi-professional? Or you think there's an age limit to learning?

I know I felt it was too late at 17. Time was running out (my then hero, Bilal, was published in a major magazine at 21) and at the time there weren't the infinite resources people have at their disposal to learn. I didn't like the art faculty I entered, it was all modern art. I gave up.

Your work is normal beginner work and you've seemed to have avoided some of the classic beginner mistakes, even.

If you show me the refs for that Dawkins picture I'll try to show you your mistakes so you can learn from them, OK?

I wouldn't worry with a tablet. Pencil and paper is fine.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Leonor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imho age doesn’t mean shit, unless we’re talking about the first years, the software you can imprint here is without equal.
    It’s my firm belief motivation and determination are the biggest factors involved in any learning process, from playing guitar, to skiing or drawing w/e, your brain is the best tool you were ever given (Hard work beats talent!)
    If I can recommend some background noise “Bruce Lipton – The new Biology” is a great listen, it’s nothing about drawing, but more about potential (you can prolly youtube it)

I love the heads you did from Loomies book, understanding that is like greek to me

I want to draw - I have to draw!
    ... I just need to learn first.
    My blog - L2Draw
    My sketchbook

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tueko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by my thread, I am glad you enjoy my curiosities! Well, just a thought on something you said in here... it is never too late to start drawing! Just study and learn what you like, and when it seems rough, remind yourself why you are doing it... ultimately it is because you enjoy it, right? I definitely enjoy what I make, and I do what I like! Maybe if you want to make money drawing you will have to study some things that are not always fun, but it is important to always try and be unique...
    Also, I know of some people who started when they were in their 20's, and are now pros!

Last edited by Splazmo; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think one of the problems with the 7th one down the quarter view one is probably that the body isnt wide enough I used to have that problem as well
    Loomis didnt really leave anything on how wide some of the body angles should be so I think its best to just mess around with it until it feels right.
    Very much like the terydactyl (i think its a terydactyl) drawings and the last 3 figure sketches I should probably try drawing some dinosaurs as well I don't draw many fantasy creatures so it might give me some ideas.
    btw them cat people they based on the navi from avatar they look pretty similair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start on your tablet. I'm in the same position as you - tablet and no scanner.
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/ might be a good place to start for PS tutorials. It has a lot of well explained, relevant, bite-sized tutorials.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital works are your first coloured works, which can be seen. I am pretty curious about your usage of colour. Until now you were just playing around with your new tablet and ist okay. How long did you need to be able to draw like that? I know when I started with a tablet I had a lot of problems and it took me ages to get something on the digital paper, what could be recognized as that what it is.

In general you have clean lines in your studies as far as I see that and you aren't scared of shading. As far as I see this you are pretty hard working on your skill. So keep it on. I guess you will become better in no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I should have said it more clear. <.< I meant the usage of the graphic tablet. How long did you need to get along with it? As I said before, I need ages, but maybe PS was at fault here, too.

I really like her eyes and her hairstyle. And I have a questions: Why did you add the highlights in the eyes, but forgot everywhere else? The glasses for example haven't any highlights, nor shading. Even if they are black, there are parts, which actually are black or nearly black and others that seem to be grey and for the highlights light grey till nearly white or white. It depends on the material the glasses are made of.

Uh and the more I look at her hair, the more I like it. ._. I really like how you did it in that simple way. One can recognize it easily as hair. And you also did a great job with her eyebrows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Narrenzauber. The structure for her face is good, but the forms are a little flat. Putting stronger highlights and shadows should help a lot. It also seems like her eyes are looking in different directions. It's a very nice expression though.

Photoshop really isn't as scary as it looks.
    There's a lot of different options and tricks to play around with, but at the core of it all you need is to just take a brush and draw, same as anything else. You can pick two or three brushes you're comfortable using and go for it. I promise Photoshop won't get mad if you don't use any filters or adjustment layers

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on the hair and eyes! Particularly the left eye (our right) has some wonderful detail in it.
    I can see some of the wonkyness, but overall this is a much stronger piece. One thing I've noticed though is the jawline looks like it extends too far over her neck. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the Audrey portrait as intothevoid said the eyes and hair are great.
    I think the arms look wierd on the newest portrait though they should be a lot longer, as for the face its pretty good maybe a bit bright I do really like the way youve done the lips though.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to triggerpigking For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quite good portraits...
    I like the way you draw a hair...

33. The Following User Says Thank You to jablar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, very inspiring progress. It looks like you got confident with that tablet fast O.o

Are you still using SAI?
    Thinking about trying it out myself, PS does seem a bit overwhelming tbh.

I want to draw - I have to draw!
    ... I just need to learn first.
    My blog - L2Draw
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    triggerpigking, no, no, no the hands do look like that in the reference picture http://i2.listal.com/image/344179/60...ley-manson.jpg, I simply didn't convey it well.
    Ah yeah I can see it now its just the way youve angled it that makes it look weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could try blurring the arms like in your reference to get across the extreme foreshortening. The face is very nicely constructed - you're really starting to get the hang of portraits.
    Try pushing the contrast more (a lot more). I know in this case the reference has no contrast, but in general contrast helps flesh out the forms a great deal.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Narrenzauber, hey, yeah I know, I didn't have a reference so I din't place the highlights. I should stick to drawing from pictures for now.

As to how long it took to feel comfortable - not very long, as soon as I found a program I liked.

IntoTheVoid lol, yeah) now I see the lazy eye, too. Thanks for encouraging words. I'll be learning PS from the link you shared. Hopefully, I'll have enough time.

Here's what I did today:

an attempt at Audrey Hepburn portrait. I gave her a bit of extra weight. And if you flip it the proportions look wonky. But I had fun =)
    Attachment 1452346
    Привет! Решил наведаться и к тебе. Очень понравился портрет, отлично вышли волосы! Побольше рисуй, буду следить за обновлениями.

Good luck!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Step For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Environments are so rough to start! But the secret is you just gotta do them!

Take pictures from life that interest you and do little 15 minute landscape paintings - take the one you like best and try to continue it.

Use a big brush! Get the big shapes, don't be afraid to use hard strokes.

Your portrait likeness is coming along, it just comes with doing hundreds of them! Try drawing skulls too, from all different angles - it kinda gives you an idea of how you should draw the head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Отличные портреты! Неплохой ландшафт, хорошее начало Но реф выбран не удачно, не очень какие-то горы на этом фото Советую искать фотографии и рисовать ландшафты в широкоэкранным соотношении и лучше использовать текстурные жесткие кисти для большей реалистичности. Как то так, будут вопросы, задавай, хотя мне самому еще учиться и учиться

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is pretty impressive actually
    The contrast and the depth work well. Those eyebrows are great!
    The eyes are a bit confusing - I'm not sure what's happening with them.
    Good to see you branching out more.
    I can't help much with landscapes myself, but whenever you're not sure what to do, you can always refine the outer edges.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow the last portraits you did with pencil are looking so much better than the first ones! Great improvement
    I don't think the landscape looks bad. At first glance I think the big shadow that goes across the middle kinda at the back of the picture needs to be a bit darker.
    The digital portrait looks very good too, did you pick the colors yourself or did you use the drop tool for it? Anyways very good!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to JulieSS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, the enviro is quite good, you just have to zoom in and start with details...refine edges, etc...

48. The Following User Says Thank You to jablar For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1