Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Sorry for removing my post, ive just got all the help I needed, thanks.

I've got all the Help I needed, thanks a lot for taking the time to comment.

Last edited by ROOSTERCAT; February 16th, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Not longer need the thread.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOSTERCAT View Post

About 1000 hours of hard work. . .

Iv'e sent him TWO models for one PRICE, the original sculpture and a resin copy. I actually made for him 2 one of a kind dinosaurs the parasaurolophus and the gallimimus for 500 usd.
    You're not REALLY charging $500 for a 1000 hours of work are you!?!

How much did you charge this dude per dinosaur?

Thanks
    What did your contract say? If he was using you as a work for hire contract artist he technically is right about the models now being "his", in that he can do with them what he will. It's even debatable if the film you linked suggests he did the sculpts. A demo reel might show another person's sculpt if they did the texture map and/or rigging for animation (although if used to get a job the art lead would want to know exactly which parts he did, and taking credit for something you you can't do is a good way to never work in the field again I'd think).

While it would be awesome to get the credit, I'd say move on. If you did the actual sculpts, show off your talent and use that to get better jobs.

Thanks
    I don't always get ripped off, but when I do, I charge 50 cents an hour.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saraiva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's a tough world out there

Thanks
    I have no idea who you are or who Julien Romeo are or what exactly happened or whether you had a contract with him or whether you are in his employ or he in yours or neither or....

No one will be able to give you any advice here because your message is garbled and unclear. You'll have to explain in some detail who you are, what exactly it is you do, what your relationship is with Mr Romeo, what contract, if any, exists between you etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    You should probably consider becoming "THE LORD OF PUSHING A SHOPPING CART AROUND AND PICKING UP ALUMINUM CANS."

Probably be more lucrative. . .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Did your contract not contain a paragraph about usage rights? Specifying clearly what the client is allowed to use the work for, and for which time period?

...You do have a written agreement, right?
    Last edited by Maidith; February 15th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks
    If you did sign a contract giving away the intellectual rights for your sculpts, then He can do as He pleases with them, as you worked as an artist for hire and had an agreement! So look closely at what was agreed, written and signed.

Here is the basic premise of the United States’ copyright law: the creator of any copyrightable work owns all rights in and to that work unless, if there is to be an exclusive transfer of some or all of those rights, there is a sufficient, written agreement, signed by the creator, transferring some or all of those rights to another. And the publisher wants exclusive rights since non-exclusive rights may be not worth very much. Non-exclusive rights may be transferred orally but there still must be some form and evidence of intent to actually transfer any rights. Without an agreement to transfer, the publisher owns no rights because there has not been a transfer. That agreement can be oral or written but if the publisher is to acquire exclusive rights, it must be written and signed by the creator.

Have a look around the internet for copyright and work for hire agreement laws.

It’s worth noting that if He is getting work off of the back of your sculptures and is claiming to be the originator, then that’s going to come back and haunt him for a very long time. It’s a very close industry and people talk!

On a positive note your work is exceptional, and even though you have lost out financially I would say that you have made some awesome pieces from what I can see so far. Get these images and creative processes into your Portfolio, send it to art directors and FX departments around the world, you may end up winning out in the long run.
    Last edited by AvP; February 15th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    I don't understand his demo reel, not my end of the business. Is he just rehashing Jurassic park stuff? He was like eleven when it came out. Is this just what people do in the industry?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AvP View Post
    If you did sign a contract giving away the intellectual rights for your sculpts, then He can do as He pleases with them, as you worked as an artist for hire and had an agreement! So look closely at what was agreed, written and signed.

Here is the basic premise of the United States’ copyright law: the creator of any copyrightable work owns all rights in and to that work unless, if there is to be an exclusive transfer of some or all of those rights, there is a sufficient, written agreement, signed by the creator, transferring some or all of those rights to another. And the publisher wants exclusive rights since non-exclusive rights may be not worth very much. Non-exclusive rights may be transferred orally but there still must be some form and evidence of intent to actually transfer any rights. Without an agreement to transfer, the publisher owns no rights because there has not been a transfer. That agreement can be oral or written but if the publisher is to acquire exclusive rights, it must be written and signed by the creator.

Have a look around the internet for copyright and work for hire agreement laws.

It’s worth noting that if He is getting work off of the back of your sculptures and is claiming to be the originator, then that’s going to come back and haunt him for a very long time. It’s a very close industry and people talk!

On a positive note your work is exceptional, and even though you have lost out financially I would say that you have made some awesome pieces from what I can see so far. Get these images and creative processes into your Portfolio, send it to art directors and FX departments around the world, you may end up winning out in the long run.
    Dude This is what I wanted to hear, thanks!! you are the best. thanks also for the kind words.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,558 Times in 2,766 Posts
    Why are you copying copyrighted material? Those dinosaur designs are Crash McCreery's from Jurrassic park. Unless you were paid by the copyright holders to make these you have no business doing it and passing it off as your own; and in my case no sympathy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts

Does look similar to McCreery when shown sideways. But unless someone can explain the little changes that an artist makes distinct how do you copyright a historical creature, when the design is just based on a the historical evidence of the creature gathered. I don't know the history of Jurrasic parks work but betting they worked hand in hand with the experts in the field at the time. They did an amazing job of giving life to the creature. But just doing a T rex that looks like a T rex does that equal stealing from Jurassic park just because they did it first? Since even the national history museum is stealing then among countless others, no? (Unless they paid the studio that did JP?)

A T-Rex is a T-Rex. Unless someone else can explain it.
    (The above though if he literally scanned it, which it does look exactly the same curve for curve, that may be a different story)

Thanks
    Because the trex in the movie has a distinctly mean and creepy look given to him by the designers. Look at a bunch of artists renderings and they are all different which is why this stands out as a copy. Also The dinos he named were all in the movies, what a strange co-inky-dink that out of the hundreds of dinosaours he chooses the JP ones and their color schemes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    True enough. But I guess you'd have to look at where you would draw on for reference.
    There are some kinda not mean T-Rex's but it seems after JP. T rex has always been portrayed as mean and scary in museums and a majority of sources. (Although in my opinion just looking at the bones they have a generally scary skeletal system lol)

https://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...26l604l8.1l9l0

I'd have to see his other models before I'd say anything. I can see where your coming from though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    True enough. But I guess you'd have to look at where you would draw on for reference.
    There are some kinda not mean T-Rex's but it seems after JP. T rex has always been portrayed as mean and scary in museums and a majority of sources. (Although in my opinion just looking at the bones they have a generally scary skeletal system lol)

I'd have to see his other models before I'd say anything. I can see where your coming from though.
    I agree they are scary, but look at these renditions all of them are different takes on trex bones. The last one is JP. Note they give him dark eye shadow and a pointy brow ridge to make him meaner looking? While the others have the same info they are trying to be true to the bones.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dpaint is right, he used the Jurassic Park models, he said so in the beginning of the demo reel.
    He also says he learned using the internet, I don't understand, is he taking credit for having modeled these? because the T-rex wasn't really modeled by him but by OP (if Op is saying the truth of course)

Attachment 1423068

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    From the video

Hi, here is my new demo reel, I will probably make several of them this year, this is the first one.
    Some models were made from a scanable maquette made by Galileo Hernandez, it was very usefull to get the basic shape of the model ( around 3000 faces, almost every finished model is between 8 000 000 to 12 000 000 faces). So thanks to him for the help on some models.
    Enjoy.
    He bought them to animate them.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 747 Posts
    This thread makes my puzzler hurt.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Anybody who knows anything about dinosaurs can spot the JP T. rex instantly.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 2,458 Posts
    ha i just thought the jp rex was a realistic recreation, it never occured to me it need tuning to make it meaner, and that that tuning would leave a recogniseable signature, but its obvious in retrospect.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOSTERCAT View Post
    I have a situation, whats the best way to act???

THERE WAS NO CONTRACT He just purchased the Models as any other costumer.

Julien Romeo has Used WITHOUT Permission,

Yes I let him scan them ....

but with the condition to credit me in every Image or video,
    I'm really having a hard time parsing this thread. Especially in light of the above statements you have made. You say he used them without permission, but at the same time you imply you did these for the guy knowing what he was going to use them for. Even asking for credit. Add in the fact that you don't have a contract and that you may have used the designs from Jurassic Park as models for your own sculpts and I just don't think you have any footing to lodge a complaint.

As I'm not a lawyer, in answer to your first question, go talk to a lawyer and don't go to the internet for advice, as you are deep in the brier patch on this one. Seriously, no one should ever commit this level of effort on a project of this scope requiring this amount of hours and your obvious talent WITHOUT a contract. I simply don't understand why anyone would do that and then think that they can back pedal and start complaining about it after the fact. Consider what's happened a serious life lesson and LEARN from it.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Lofgren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    After seeing the garbled mess the OP wrote it's hard to imagine this person writing a contract, much less reading one :/

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Wow, one of those post remover guys.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Never really thought about the stylizing prehistoric creatures. Just always been used to a T Rex being mean and scary distinctly, never about variations of it. This is a T rex this is what it looks like lol.

Making me interested in the creation process of envisioning JP.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Wow, one of those post remover guys.
    I don't blame him. He must be embarrassed and You guys are throwing allot of salt at his wound. He's probably digging a cozy little hole to bury his head in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I don't blame him. He must be embarrassed and You guys are throwing allot of salt at his wound. He's probably digging a cozy little hole to bury his head in.

LOL, good one, yeah lot of salt!

Never mind guys.

Thanks for good comments, for the bad ones and for the ??? ones too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts

Damn.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Since we're posting pictures of giant theropods I figured I'd just put these here

(By James Gurney)
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

46. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast