Art: How does an artist get motivation back?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation How does an artist get motivation back?

Possibly the most difficult question I've been faced with lately as an artist. Sorry if this is a repost btw.

Ive been in art school at the art institute of atlanta for 3 months now in the Media Arts and Animation major. I have had some of the greatest art of my life as output from these classes, but a problem I have been having is lack of motivation to draw, or practice drawing on a daily level.

What do you guys do as artists to get yourself motivated to draw/practice or just generally inspire yourself?

Flames/comments/advice are all appreciated

-artist blocked-
    ~Pitvipr~

[Drum & Bass MassiveDrum & Bass Worldwide]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fear.

Plain and simple.

At least for me

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and rage.

~O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, what other areas of your life do you find lacking? Do you find yourself coming up short on finishing other jobs, doing required tasks, and so forth?

Art, like anything else in this world, is subject to the life you build around it. If you find yourself putting off doing the dishes, slacking on cleaning your room, procrastinating on assignments, etc., then your motivation will falter, and you'll be faced with this sort of problem frequently. The care, or lack of it, you bring to even the most mundane of tasks will carry over to the things you enjoy, especially art. If you ignore hard or boring tasks, instead opting to focus solely on what you find enjoyable, when your chosen method of enjoyment becomes a little harder or not as fulfilling, you'll quickly find yourself unable to complete it as well.

In summary, do your best to keep up some level of motivation in everything you do, even if it's something as boring as taking out the trash. Try to do at least two things every day that you know you don't like to do but have to do anyway, and you'll find yourself more motivated in everything else you do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavhoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lavhoes ,

I really appreciate your post! This is just the kinda thing I needed to read :thumbsup:

Yeah I have been procrastinating lately on my assignments at school and other things just like you had said. I get them done eventually...I just put them off to the last minute and end up staying up way too late in the night working on completing them.

I will do my best to keep motivated in everything I do, even if it is BORING or i LOATHE doing it, or just am like 'meh'

hehe Thanks for the advice again Lavhoes :cool:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How does an artist get motivation back?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by lavhoes
    Art, like anything else in this world, is subject to the life you build around it.
    Well put, lavhoes!

- blind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lavhoes advice is excellent and succinctly put. Unlike mine, which was a quip. I apologize for that. But in making light of my own methods, I overlooked the deeper explaination.

The fear part is very real for me and my motivation. It's a fear born out of a mix of being stuck in a dead end job for the rest of my life, and of ending up like my father, who was an excellent illustrator but never pursued his skills and dream, and therefore passed away a very unhappy man.

The rage (or anger) is also a very real aspect of my motivation. It usually plays out in my head that I *will/am* getting better at what I do. Since this is the path that I want, I don't accept second best from myself. However I recognize that there is a learning curve to attaining the illustrative level that I want. For me, the rage operates as a creative force in my life, keeping me motivated, and is ultimately the stronger of the two forces at play in my determination to become the best artist I possibly can. It is born out the recognition that there is no one standing in my way to becoming the artist that I want other than myself and I will not allow myself to hobble my own efforts (something we all do when we say to ourselves "I can't do that" or whatever variation on the theme you use).

I have found that keeping yourself motivated is a personal choice. It really is just simply a yes/no matter. Either you are going to be motivated to draw or you're not. If you are not, you are going to find something else to do that is easier, like watching t.v. But you are not a victem to your motivation or your habits. Every habit you have, being smoking, drinking, drawing, playing on the Xbox, whatever, is *motivated* by personal choice. YOU *choose* to do whatever it is that you are doing. So, in recognizing that fact, choose to keep yourself motivated by whatever means possible at your disposal. For me, it's fear & rage. For someone else, it might be tears and laughter. Whatever it is, it's up to you.

I don't know if any of this rambling mess makes any sense to anyone but me, but I do hope it helps.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cannot tell you how much i can relate, oregano.

All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.

-middle class-
    AIM: RZR0999

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oregano,

Thanks for your post too! Yeah Im definately going to be working on my motivation levels for things I do, and keeping motivated about drawing and practicing daily.

I choose to play UT2004 daily, I can choose to sketch and draw daily too Thanks again Oregano your to the point and blunt advice is appreciated greatly! :chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

This is turning out to be a very good and interesting thread. Nice going guys !

(and this is what I also needed to read)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at the new threads on its finally finished and gape in awe at their work, then get pissed off coz ur not that good yet and get back to work!

That works for me quite a lot of the time.. I also use fear that I will always underachieve like I have done in the past 4 years of exams and courses. Another couple of years till uni is over and if I'm not good at something (other than gaming) by then, I'd probably consider my life a failure. That fear hits you strong.

[I am a member of the Middle Class!]

You can view my lurrvely new sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=507266
    Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, all so true. Keeping yourself motivated is something I'm currently having trouble with now. I'll have to use some of these methods to really work hard over the summer so I have the skill set to really achieve in next year's courses. Thanks for the advice everyone who posted here and to of course the thread starter. Gives me a lot to think about =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i found myself stuck for quite some time. nothing i did i liked, or thought had any worth. it's only when i stumbled across old, old sketchbooks i found how much i had improved, and how many great ideas i had forgotten, or abandoned due to my lack of skill. i began to redraw old concepts, and re-fit new ones. before i knew it i had a whole crap load of inspiration that was already there to begin with.

im a rambler! YEAH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One method that I find works for me is to do your art dailies/homework in the style that you like. So, if I feel that I need to practise on a landscapes, and I hate drawing landscapes, I might populate the environment with interesting creatures, or add in some imaginative buildings there, or even throw in a robot or a spaceship if all else fails. Basically, to add some fun into a task that you'd otherwise find boring.

Admiring great artists' works is certainly a good motivation. I suggest taking a look at Craig Mullins' speedpaintings (either on his site or in the Sijun speedpainting thread). That's what fatally motivated me into learning digital painting.

...+1 exp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What keeps me motivated is to work with different media, you'll soon get interested in them and you want to learn more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my opinion

hi, I am not an artist,maybe you have to a break from drawing and do other things,let your brain take a rest,maybe you are not feeling so motivated because you´re stressed or you are pushing hard to yourself.

Just my simple opinion!
    Lichi

try to simplify..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pitvipr,

if your room is messy, if your trash is piling up, if you don't have plants in your space, or if they're not alive, you are then living the same day over and over again...

you don't have to draw everyday if you can't. i know i can't. i'll get bored. my energy will die. i usually have short-breath. i may not draw for a week. i don't know, maybe my style is different.. i tend to observe a lot, record shapes and colors in my head, save my energy, and finally i produce something i'm in love with, and that motivates me to do it again.

hey, contribute in dsg!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Procrastination was big problem for me, and until I took it seriously it just wouldn't go away by itself. So i researched a bit the causes and methods to get rid of it. If you are procrastinating on many areas in your life (not just drawing and painting) it might be building up and seriously start to ruining your life and preventing your success before you even notice it. I read some books and listened to some audio books and with that help I started to build up my motivation and do things that had to be done no matter what I thought or how I felt about them in the moment. Keeping yourself highly motivated, doing things as you plan them and then keep that momentum is the real key to get some success in any part of your life. It is not easy at the start and you should begin with small steps, then when you get your engine up and running you can easier do some bigger changes in your life. As you can see I did not specifficaly talk only about drawing and painting stuff because usually when procrastination visits you it doesen't just take over one area but it spills over many of them. So basically all you need is a big big desire and firm decision that you have to make a change. No one on the world could do that for you. Below are some links that could be a big help at that.

Here are some quick links to get more info:
    http://www.dexterity.com/articles/ov...astination.htm
    http://www.momscape.com/articles/procrastination.htm
    http://www.orgcoach.net/newsletter/v3issue3.html

And if you get really serious about fixing your procrastination and even improving other areas of your life you should check these self-improvement stuff which I went through and they were (and still are) the biggest help that I got in my life:

Overcoming Procrastination - Susan Fowler Woodring
    Personal Power II - Anthony Robbins
    (These audio tapes are somewhat expensive but they are worth the money spent)

I Hope I did not move to far from the subject of this thread and that this will be of some help to you. Wish you luck!
    :chug:

Last edited by goldi; May 25th, 2004 at 04:13 AM.
    Painting is like a box of chocolates, you never now what you'll gonna get...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Often times, whenever I lose the inspiration to draw, I tend to look at other peoples artworks and see how they handled their own problems and I begin to look in my own sketchbooks and things to see how my older drawings were *SUPER* deformed (The people looked like they had heads the size of a pea!)

I also would try to read any type of fantasy or novel and try to imagine how I would draw what images that the book made in my mind.

Other times I just give the sketchbook a break and then work on my own novels or fall asleep.

Beware, their are people even more crazy than I, and I think he's riding your lawnmower...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Focus, patience, preserverance, passion and discipline.

/L

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    goldi

I can't say how much reading that one article on procrastination helped me begin my huge-ass Journalism final that's due tomorrow. It's not that hard of a class, but it's very time consuming, so thank you. I didn't think reading something like that could actually help. :chug: :beer:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree, i have this gigantic animation demo reel due on monday, and without that article, i would be weeks behind by now. in fact i believe that i could even get it completed by then.
    thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From one of the links above
    A third type of erroneous thinking that leads to procrastination is perfectionism. Thinking that you must release the perfect app or build the perfect web site will likely prevent you from ever getting started.
    Thats the one that gets me when i sit down and try to paint. Thanks for the topic start and all the links and conversation, good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I have to agree. Its that perfect thing. It has to be great, or not at all and then I mind screw myself. I do, however, draw on a daily basis. I don't, however, challenge myself when I draw. I do the same old a lot. A habit I must get out of. This thread has been inspirational.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I treat myself to the most difficult things I know I fear to create because I suck at them.

Hands, feet, action poses, anatomy.

For a year I've been at it with color. My biggest of Achilles heels. And after a year or so I "cracked" color. Now I can paint without fear of my work turning out like sh*t. Know I'm comfortable with color and values.

Next up is anatomy, and especially the action poses. Life drawing classes in all honour but it doesn't cover the action poses. Perhaps it's time to get into a combat training class and see if I can do some life drawing there...

Challenge yourself and you will loose your fears, and therefore leave your rutts behind - moving on to new frontiers.

L

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again everyone!

I'm glad that those articles were of some help to you. I didn't know how you all will accept that kind of self-development literature. Many people think of it as just "blah-blah" made by people that had a big success just by sheer luck and now they are acting as some wise guys. And they don't even want to hear anything about it... and sadly procrastination is digging into their lives even further.

I myself was the same type of sceptic toward that kind of literature, but I thought, OK let's try and se if it works... after all I don't have anything to loose... and even with just small changes in my daily life there could be seen quite a big progress. The same, i guess based on your replies, as you experienced it. So I would really like to encourage you to explore that areas of your life even further and work on your self-development.

So don't let your life be lead by others, take control in your own hands and you will be successful...

By the way... when you become successful and somebody says to you "Oh, you were just lucky to get everything you have"... you can say "yeah you're right, I was lucky, but do you know what luck means?"

Tell them...

L.U.C.K. = Labour Under Correct Knowledge

:chug:

Painting is like a box of chocolates, you never now what you'll gonna get...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SIMPLE! go to some workshops, or better, attend some classes, even just at the at the local comunity college. Anything to get some good foundation, be with other artists to learn from them, and have a deadline. Having a deadline is always good motivation.

this bread is hard, and stale, and has green fuzz on it.
    I wanna go home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To over come the "bordom" of drawing, do things that stimulate the hell out of you. One friend of mine would draw porn most of the time, and actually had great renderings as well(in provocative positions of course....). But if something gets you going, its best to draw that. Hogarth, for me at least, made me completly compelled to draw from his style, it just appeals to me greatly. Of course, dont over do it with a particular style. However, for me it does the job of asfixiating the "bordom" sometimes (dont get me wrong, I draw elswhere all the time). Ill admit, moving a hand in athousand directions is boring, but making an image that makes you tingle inside is worth all the while in the world =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    indeed.

also I think that regular exercise is awesome motivation. I know it sounds cliche, but if you try to run a mile everyday and then you actually start doing it because you make yourself do it (like you are your own drill sergeant) then you will most likely adopt that aspect and incorporate it in other areas of your life. That's just what works for me though, gotta give myself a little hell because no one else is around to do it for me.

N & B

~Sketches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5