Advice on anatomy studies

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Basically i want to know how to go about doing them. I want to draw things like this;

Is it worth it to keep doing classic anatomy studies? They've improved my understanding of how the body moves and how to build forms properly, but i feel like they're not really helping me develop a style akin to the one above. Any advice?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Professional Jouster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not the expert on anatomy. But you need some understanding first to distort and exaggerate it without it seeming completely off, no?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah thats about the size of it, but i want to know some good ways for me to bridge the two. To take what i get from the anatomy studies and apply it to my style.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Professional Jouster View Post
    Basically i want to know how to go about doing them. I want to draw things like this;

Is it worth it to keep doing classic anatomy studies? They've improved my understanding of how the body moves and how to build forms properly, but i feel like they're not really helping me develop a style akin to the one above. Any advice?
    Yes, of course it's worth it to keep doing anatomy studies. But additionally you need to study exaggeration and the principles of design for cartooning -- rhythm, shape, proportion, etc.

Also, just because you like the style of a particular comic doesn't mean you have to be blind to its flaws. So you put good anatomy together with simplification and exaggeration and hopefully you get something good out.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Yes, of course it's worth it to keep doing anatomy studies. But additionally you need to study exaggeration and the principles of design for cartooning -- rhythm, shape, proportion, etc.

Also, just because you like the style of a particular comic doesn't mean you have to be blind to its flaws. So you put good anatomy together with simplification and exaggeration and hopefully you get something good out.
    I know, i definitely don't look to this as the be all end all of style and artistry, and i definitely don't want to copy it line for line. Do you know of any good resources on the cartooning principles you mentioned?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    v SEE USEFUL LINK BELOW v

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis "Fun With A Pencil" would be a good start.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know, i definitely don't look to this as the be all end all of style and artistry, and i definitely don't want to copy it line for line. Do you know of any good resources on the cartooning principles you mentioned?
    Animation books might be good. I got a lot of useful info from animation blogs. I particularly like Temple of the Seven Golden Camels, his early posts are a wealth of information. John Kricfalusi's blog has some interesting things to think about but you really have to read it through a filter because he has such strong biases, and there's a lot of stuff there that isn't really of any particular interest.

And of course if you can analyze a style critically you can start adapting the bits you notice. A lot of it is just trial and error. A few years back I was into cartoonizing photos -- finding random photos of people on the net, breaking them down and exaggerating the poses, body types, attitude and so on. Like full-body caricatures. Caricatures, by the way, are interesting and difficult and they're good practice too, if you can handle the frustration of having some really ugly art.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out Walt Stanchfield's book 'Drawn to Life' (there are two volumes), he basically approaches figure drawing and abstraction in exactly the way you are looking for. Also Check out Steven Silver. He regularly uses live models to derive cartoons. He also has books, videos and apps that address the same subject.

Last edited by JavierP; February 14th, 2012 at 02:35 AM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JavierP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I want to draw things like this < . . . > Is it worth it to keep doing classic anatomy studies? They've improved my understanding of how the body moves and how to build forms properly, but i feel like they're not really helping me develop a style akin to the one above. Any advice?
    Keep the classic anatomy studies. You have to know how something works before you can distort it and still have it stay believable. In fact, you need to know it better than you'd need for a realistic picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think absolutely more classic figure studies will help. I think the more you draw the body, and the more natural it starts coming to you, the more you naturally develop your own shortcuts and "style" for representing the figure. I think at first you draw as closely to what you see as you can, but the more familiar you become, the more your own voice starts to come out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try Ben Caldwell's "Action! Cartooning", which leans towards realistic cartooning, Tom Bancroft's "Creating characters with personality". Another option is Preston Blair's "Cartoon Animation", which covers the basics, although it is stylistically antique, and aiming at animation...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the great input everyone. I've already checked out a few of the suggestions and they look very promising!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Advice on anatomy studies"
    ...Do them.
    You won't be able to exaggerate something you don't understand. Draw real people. There's naked people all over the internet.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1