general help and critique needed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

general help and critique needed

i'd like to request some help with a picture i'm working on right now.
    the version i'm uploading is quite rushed, since i had a very tight deadline, but i'd like to improve it now, if only for my own satisfaction.
    i'm trying to get back into drawing after a four year break and i was never very good with colour anyway, so i have no idea what to do with this doodle to make it look better.
    what i'm thinking right now:
    - more detailing to the hair, especially braids
    - more detailed shading
    - fix silly background dots to not look so blocky
    i had a nose on the face, but i actually think it looks a bit out of place..
    also i'm not really happy with the colours, but i can't seem to think of a better option.

please share anything you'd like to say - i'm a first time poster and prepared for the words of wisdom
    thank you

Name:  rococo.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  328.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose the overly simplified facial structure is what makes the character, so it's a little hard to criticize. I would however move her left eye more to the center - her eyes are positioned like a horse's eyes right now.

Also, mirror the bottom rosette - the perspective looks a little flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this a lot. However, speaking as someone who knows her needs, she really needs a nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking the black of the eyes should return elsewhere in the picture - preferably in the top half:

Name:  1a16he9c copy.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  35.3 KB

I also moved the part with the curl to the other side of the face, because on the left it sort of made the general form a large, white amoeba - with the face free, it feels more crisp and clean iin my opinion.
    As for colors, I had some ideas but none would work as well as white for the hair, because I do like the way she looks like a tuft of whipped cream right now.

About the nose... I'll leave that to others. Just a pair of dots might do though - it'll definitely have to be a tiny nose, that's for sure.

Continue the critique at Deviant Art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @InsanityVonMike: thank you for pointing the eye and rosette problem out. i'll try to fix the perspective.

@Giacomo: thank you i've been trying to put a nose on in the sketching phase and it took attention away from the eyes too much for my liking.. i'll see if i can get away with just dots for nostrils.

@Ahnem Mee: i really like what you did to the picture! the additional ribbon really balances the darks better. also the way you shaded the background appeals to me much more than what i have right now.

thank you everyone for the suggestions.
    i won't have time to do anything for a few days, but i'll upload progress as soon as i can.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's a lovely piece, especially for somebody who's been away from drawing for a while. Here are my suggestions:

Name:  kurzak-PO.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  112.9 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Elwell : thank you for the suggestions. i like what you did with the nose - i forgot you can mark it this way, too.

i'll post an update probably on weekend. we'll see how much of everyone's suggestions i can incorporate

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.