Intuos3 or 4 for the long run?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Intuos3 or 4 for the long run?

Listen,I know these threads have been done to death and people are getting sick of them but after hours of searching on Google I have to ask people with expertise about this.

Basically,the title says it:If I want to buy a tablet,which one should I go with for the long run?
    I've read stories that the Intuos3 lasts a lot of years without the nib wearing and the obvious ones about the Intuos4 nibs.
    My problem is that if I get a tablet then my uncle is gonna bring me one from the U.S,so replacing nibs on a permanent basis is going to be a problem since I live in Romania and there aren't any shops real or online where I could get some.
    One more thing I've seen is that the Intuos3 isn't easy to find anymore.There are like 4-5 models on amazon and most of them are used.
    Also,which size should I be looking for if my laptop resolution is 1366x768 on a 16" screen?
    I'm interested in comics so that's what I'll be using it for mostly.
    If anyone has the time to enlighten me with these issues I would appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems there is a new Intuos range coming out soon - see here - so, if you don't need it right now, it might be worth waiting to see if they've fixed the nibs issue and whatever other improvements it might bring. Judging from the FCC application, it will be offered in much the same sizes as the current ones, will have wireless capability throughout the range, and will be offered in both Pen and Pen and Touch versions. The letter asking for six month confidentiality on details and photos was signed on October 19th, so that would perhaps suggest the products are coming out before mid-April.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss_Kringle View Post
    Also,which size should I be looking for if my laptop resolution is 1366x768 on a 16" screen?
    I'm interested in comics so that's what I'll be using it for mostly.
    If anyone has the time to enlighten me with these issues I would appreciate it.
    if you're planning to do lineart, you'll certainly benefit from intuos4 - tech got better, even though durability went down;
    I don't think nib wear IS that much of an issue; it might be useful to stock up extra nibs once so you forget about them for years (an extra set of 10 will do the trick).
    for your screen, intuos 4 M or intuos 3 a5 wide will be ideal.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you go with a 4 get one with a wire as the wireless wacoms have an annoying delay to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the same I3 since the product launch in Akihabara. All I did with it is put the I4 wide grip on the pen and apply the textured I4 surface to my 6X11 just for kicks
    It's 2012 and it still does what the hell I need it to do. Everyday. All day. Even Xmas and Sundays.
    I figure I'll wait for the next Intuos line and then splurge, hoping it's a tighter and more durable product worthy of forcing the coins from my purse.
    The I4 was an immediate non-factor after a test @ Yodobashi in 2009 and a loan from an associate for a few weeks once stateside (I absolutely hated the Art Pen nib rotation within the stylus itself, I think they may have addressed that issue by now though)
    Wait. IF you must have one, cop an I3 super cheap on ebay unless an I4 can be had for less and keep it in mind as a back up when you get the next version, which I hope, will be a worthy upgrade. (crosses fingers)
    Dunno though. Other than fancy doodads attached to the tablet chassis itself, what more do we really need out of the relationship between stylus and surface past the point it is now? If it works, it works....until crappy drivers and a bad hardware batch mar the name.
    I'm satisfied for now though, I3.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    If you go with a 4 get one with a wire as the wireless wacoms have an annoying delay to them.
    I second this. That I4 wireless is a frustrating sham even @ 3ft. away. Wireless just isn't where it needs to be yet for Wacoms

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chipsterology View Post
    I figure I'll wait for the next Intuos line and then splurge, hoping it's a tighter and more durable product worthy of forcing the coins from my purse.
    same here
    I hope my intuos3 still works strong until they roll out i5 in a few years (which is not hard to believe, a friend of mine is still using intuos2 with no complaints)
    i4 is a beautiful piece of art itself, and I love how wacom expanded the extra pen grip designs, but crappy usb soldering isn't helping it.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie around here and I just got a Intuos4 small. I tried a bamboo but could not get it to work with Linux Mint 11. Anyway I have been doing quite a lot of research. Finding that a lot of people are complaining about nib wear on the Intuos4. So I did some testing on sensitivity. I opened Gimp Paint and it saw my Intuos4 small right away So I selected 2 colors red and blue. Then I set the pressure sensor sensitivity to change color as pressure changed. What I found was it requires a very very light touch to paint with the foreground color. This makes me wonder if maybe the people that are wearing out their nibs are used to having less sensitivity and are so pressing too hard. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    Hi all,
    This makes me wonder if maybe the people that are wearing out their nibs are used to having less sensitivity and are so pressing too hard. Has anyone else tried this?
    I'm sure they've doinked around with pressure sensitivity. We artists like it to have the feel of an actual pencil and all, so we adjust it accordingly. You're right tho, if you use it on your lightest setting, you wouldn't have to replace it near as often as someone who likes to grind their pencil to the pad. It's just more satisfying to have the same feel...

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey does anyone use both pencils and wacom tablets to draw? If so which cost more the pencils and lead or the nibs?

Also has anyone taken apart their tablet? If so is there any electronics attached to the active surface?

Last edited by donec; March 7th, 2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use both and I can tell you for sure that I spent more money for wood pencils, mechanical and drafting pencils, erasers, leads, etc than the money that I spent for a Cintiq 24HD with all the nibs and other accessories (there is much less nib wearing on the Cintiq 24HD than on the Intuos 4 and 5). Of course this depends on how much you draw, what media you use, your workflow etc. Anyway, although I am more than happy with digital drawing, I really can’t stay without graphite on my hands. The Wacom girp and art pen are nice, but the feeling of a Rotring 800 2mm with a good 4B lead is something that I prefer over a Painter 12 realistic 2B pencil. Just a matter of taste.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have just found a great deal on an almost new Intuos3 9x12 tablet for $50.00 I could not pass up. Having tried both the Intuos4 small, Bamboo Capture, Bamboo Fun and now the Intuos3 I can say for certain that for me the Intuos3 is a much better tablet.

I don't use the buttons so they are not a concern for me. The way I have things setup I always have access to the keyboard and it is much easier for me than learning which buttons do what and getting them to work.

With both Bamboo tablets I had trouble getting them to work well in Linux and Windows 7. The pressure sensitivity was never reliable.

When looking at tablets I was concerned with size because I figured that with a smaller size I could move across the screen quicker. For the Intuos4 small at first I was surprised at the fact that it seemed a long ways to move the cursor across the screen yet it was a small active area. Then when I got the Intuos3 9x12 I found that it was much easier to move across the screen even though it was a larger. I believe it is easier because my mind does not need to compensate for the difference in size as the active area on the Intuos3 9x12 looks like it is about the same size as my screen.

The surface of the Intuos3 feels much better to me than the Intuos4. As for longevity all I can say is the Intuos3 has a replaceable flap for the active area that is easy to change and cost about $30.00 to replace (much less than a new tablet). I also picked up a package of replacement nibs on Amazon for $25.00.

BTW I wanted to make the stand for the Intuos3 like the one for the Intuos4 so the stand would serve as a holder for nibs. I took the piece of felt like stuff off the bottom and found 2 screws. When I removed the screws and took the bottom off I found a small Ziploc bag with 3 nibs in it and a metal ring for removing the nibs. It seems odd to me they would be there since it was obvious the felt stuff had never been removed and there was no indication you could open the stand. Why would they put spares in there?

PS The active area must contain some circuitry as the pens for the Intous4 don't work on the Intuos3 and vica versa but the nibs do.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.