Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone play games that are actually creepy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Does anyone play games that are actually creepy?

i mean, any other communities i fuck around, People get freaked out of resident evil hmmm. So im asking if people here actually play good art games that also do the horror factor very well. also if you happen to play some mysterious and obscure games i mean with this thread, you must share now.

Amnesia everyone knows now and being the scariest game ever for now.
    but games like The path holy shit. Also id wish this thread was for GOOD horror games like very unappreciated classic called Scratches, i mean that game is really fucking creepy

also ones that are oblivious, should know about Yume nikki for start, a very great dream game. Also Yume 2kki that is a fan made sequel and its fucking massive, its just not done yet and the installing is hard. google around of it, theres alot of weird rpgmaker games actually
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Thanked 5,793 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Hehe yeah I agree, Resident Evil is more of an action game then scary - to me. When I played games before, I played the Silent Hill serie. The 2nd and 3rd are amazing and completely and utterly nightmarish. I never played the first one though, which is said to be the best of them.
    "I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    I enjoyed the Dead Space franchise very much. The first one was scarier, the second was more fun.

It was really more about manipulating your startle response and your engrained reaction to scary music, though.
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Dead Space isn't scary. Any game that borrows RE4's gameplay can't be scary.

That said, RE4's gameplay is very fun, which is what matters to me.

I haven't beaten Dead Space 2, but I'm on the second disc. It feels really short. But it seems it took some ideas from the Uncharted series for some really cool (and frustrating) scenes.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,489 Posts
    I always thought the blackouts in FEAR were pretty scary for an FPS, haven't played the recent ones ; no time for games anymore, just work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    RE4 was ok scary if your playing alone no one in the house at night with headphones on type thing for the first time. As long as you don't know what's coming and are in a scary setting.

I don't remember what it was but there was this one game I can't remember the name of it. Played a demo with a friend, first person view, you can't actually look at the monsters or you'll start to go insane and die I think. There's a part where your hopping from box to box over water, and whenever you step in the water an invisible monsters treading after you. Monsters you can't really kill type thing but trying to survive, lol but you can't even look at them.

If I played that alone in the dark it might be pretty scary.

Thanks
    RE4 was ok scary if your playing alone no one in the house at night with headphones on type thing for the first time. As long as you don't know what's coming and are in a scary setting.
    You sure you mean Resident Evil 4? The game where you play a US secret agent armed to the teeth with firearms and grenades taking down droves of rural Spanish villagers with pitchforks?

Yeah, I played the game (and love it), but 4 was the point in the series where any kind of fear was thrown out of the window. It's an action game. It's exciting, not scary.

You see trouble, you've got a pistol, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, an uzi, and a bunch of grenades all on hand. Shoot it in the face, roundhouse kick it, and do a double tap. And then reload with the ammo the monster immediately spawns after dying.

Every cutscene before a boss fight, which are usually massive mutated abominations, Leon will shrug it off and spout one liners like Stallone or Arnold. Remember how Devil May Cry was intended to be Resident Evil 4 before they decided to start over from scratch? I have to ask what made them change their mind if the second go wasn't too dissimilar in tone?

EDIT: Ok Super Salvador is scary. But he's only in the bonus minigame (which is about earning points for kills) you unlock after finishing the story mode.

There's absolutely no sense of hopelessness or vulnerability that the old games had. In those games you were limited on EVERYTHING, you knew that every step you took. You had to choose whether you could afford unloading a clip just to waste one zombie, you had to wrestle with awkward controls (due to pre-rendered environments that can easily throw you for a loop). The environment is large but confined. And to top it all off, you knew the majority of the things you had to fight were alot more durable than you are, even if you are specially trained.

But even then the TRUE horror games are the Silent Hill games (which I haven't played). As I understand they ARE about hopelessness you ARE vulnerable. You aren't some decked out special forces member like the Resident Evil games, you're a normal everyday person (except maybe the cop) moving through a specially designed hell that draws on and personifies the fears and subconscious thoughts of it's main characters.
    Last edited by Psychotime; February 11th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    You sure you mean Resident Evil 4? The game where you play a US secret agent armed to the teeth with firearms and grenades taking down droves of rural Spanish villagers with pitchforks?

Yeah, I played the game (and love it), but 4 was the point in the series where any kind of fear was thrown out of the window. It's an action game. It's exciting, not scary.

You see trouble, you've got a pistol, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, an uzi, and a bunch of grenades all on hand. Shoot it in the face, roundhouse kick it, and do a double tap. And then reload with the ammo the monster immediately spawns after dying.

Every cutscene before a boss fight, which are usually massive mutated abominations, Leon will shrug it off and spout one liners like Stallone or Arnold. Remember how Devil May Cry was intended to be Resident Evil 4 before they decided to start over from scratch? I have to ask what made them change their mind if the second go wasn't too dissimilar in tone?

EDIT: Ok Super Salvador is scary. But he's only in the bonus minigame (which is about earning points for kills) you unlock after finishing the story mode.

There's absolutely no sense of hopelessness or vulnerability that the old games had. In those games you were limited on EVERYTHING, you knew that every step you took. You had to choose whether you could afford unloading a clip just to waste one zombie, you had to wrestle with awkward controls (due to pre-rendered environments that can easily throw you for a loop). The environment is large but confined. And to top it all off, you knew the majority of the things you had to fight were alot more durable than you are, even if you are specially trained.

But even then the TRUE horror games are the Silent Hill games (which I haven't played). As I understand they ARE about hopelessness you ARE vulnerable. You aren't some decked out special forces member like the Resident Evil games, you're a normal everyday person (except maybe the cop) moving through a specially designed hell that draws on and personifies the fears and subconscious thoughts of it's main characters.
    I actually think re4 did have a few scare moments in it the first time I met the chainsaw guy I freaked the fuck out as I only had a pistol and barely any ammo.
    5 is where the series got shit though as it threw away any good action and horror the series had and operation raccoon city looks like it'll be shit as well.
    I actually think the re4 control style could be used really well for horror games though ive always envisioned what a re1 remake with the controls would be like and I think it would work brilliantly if capcom didnt fuck it up with explosions everywhere.
    The newer silent hills have gone to shit I have barely any hope for the series
    I played through the entirety of 5 and came out literally angry and depressed at how bad it was and what they had done to the series.
    If you want to play a good silent hill game 2 is your best bet followed by 3 and then 4.
    A few good obscure horror games

First would be haunting ground and I cannot stress this enough you need to train the dog in it most people really get pissed off with the dogs ai in this game but its a huge help once u train him.

Another game very similair to haunting ground would be rule of rose its a really artistic game it has a dog in it as well but I cant remember if you have to train him or not.
    I will say this though there are some very annoying parts in this game mainly because its very easy to get lost.

If you like very japanese themed horror games you should try the fatal frame series theyre very original and have a brilliant atmospere 2 is actually one of my favorite horror games of all time.

Siren blood curse is a really good game as well as you can temporary knock out the enemies in it but never actually kill them it has a pretty good story as well.

The suffering is also a good horror game as well although its more action horror but its story and atmosphere is brilliant and has one of my favorite characters in any game doctor killjoy.

My friend also really recommends me cry of fear which ive played a bit of and seems to be very good so far so im definietly going to buy it when I get the chance.

A notable mention would be bioshock I don't count it as a horror game but it has some very creepy parts in it.

Being a major horror fan I find it really sad that horrors not being doing so well recently most great horror games were last gen and there hasnt been many good horror movies for a while either although movies like insidious and woman in black and games like dead space are giving me hope that theyre coming back.

btw crimsonstring do you mean the call of chtullu game which stars jack the man who can literally not walk down the stairs withought breaking his legs and has hilariously bad voice acting that call of cthulu.CHEESUS.
    Last edited by triggerpigking; March 6th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerpigking View Post
    I actually think the re4 control style could be used really well for horror games though ive always envisioned what a re1 remake with the controls would be like and I think it would work brilliantly if capcom didnt fuck it up with explosions everywhere.
    5 had a bonus short adventure (DLC, I think, but the Special Edition comes with it) where you play as Jill and Chris infiltrating another mansion that gives you alot of RE1 vibes.

It forces a little bit of vulnerability by making you play a stage near the end where the both of you are stuck without weapons and have to take on a bunch of pyramid head wannabes (carrying anchors) by setting deathtraps and luring them into it.

Last edited by Psychotime; March 7th, 2012 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    5 had a bonus short adventure (DLC, I think, but the Special Edition comes with it) where you play as Jill and Chris infiltrating another mansion that gives you alot of RE1 vibes.

It forces a little bit of vulnerability by making you play a stage near the end where the both of you are stuck without weapons and have to take on a bunch of pyramid head wannabes (carrying anchors) by setting deathtraps and luring them into it.

That actually sounds pretty cool now if only the whole game had been like that.
    I actually remember the re5 demo being scarier than the entire game my friend and I played the demo and it was actually pretty scary as the chainsaw guy in that one would just not go down I was backed up in a corner on my last 2 pistols bullets freaking out as he got closer.
    But in the actual game they toned him down a shit ton to the point he was laughably easy.
    Its very sad when a demo for a game is scarier than the actual game.

I think you'll find the dead space games pretty scary on harder difficultys as your usually very low on ammo and have to conserve everything.

Thanks
    it looks very dated now but system shock 2 nearly made me pee myself back in the day.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to invinciblewombat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Sure RE 4 is like that after you've played it already. I can go through the whole game mostly with the knife and handgun.

But once again, when you first play, have no idea where anything is, when you'll get ammo, where traps are. It changes the experience, especially in the dark, alone, with headphones on. Hearing enemies speaking their spanish phrases and turning around to see a zombie 2 feet from you makes you jump.

But everyone has their own sensitivity. There's a friends sister who jumps when playing Skyrim. While others won't flinch no matter what.

Like the first time fighting the main bosses right hand man, can't remember his name. The one you freeze with nitrogen, who runs super fast and CAN beat, but is quite difficult and has so much Health you have no idea if you can or not.

Or the enemies that creep in the hospital area slowly, that you have to use heat vision to see their weak points. Those things creeped me out.
    Last edited by JFierce; February 11th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Like the first time fighting the main bosses right hand man, can't remember his name. The one you freeze with nitrogen, who runs super fast and CAN beat, but is quite difficult and has so much Health you have no idea if you can or not.

Verdugo

You can dodge every single one of his attacks with just a quicktime button press. But admittedly freezing him with the liquid nitrogen gives you the only window in order to deal damage to him without wasting ammo, and usually you won't have the firepower to take him down on your first playthrough.

This player had the firepower, but I'm posting the video to show how harmless the guy really is. Just dodge when he attacks, repeat.

His boss fight is just there to stall you and burn up your ammo when you'll REALLY need it in the next level. He's a red herring that you just put up with on a time limit.

Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    Or the enemies that creep in the hospital area slowly, that you have to use heat vision to see their weak points. Those things creeped me out.
    The Regenerators (and their variant the Iron Maiden). I can see how someone would find them creepy, but the game flat out tells you how to beat them efficiently. And even then the programmers made sure you can beat them in even the most impractical way.

I think if you want a REAL problem enemy, you should look no further than the Crimson Heads of the gamecube RE1 remake.

Oh, man do I hate those. The thing is, whenever you kill a zombie in the remake, their bodies stay there on the floor. Unless you destroy their head, the body will be still around on the floor whenever you return to the room. This isn't there for realism. It turns out that if the body's still there, after a certain amount of time they'll come back stronger faster, and are an absolute nightmare.

The only way to ensure they don't come back is to cover them in kerosene and immolating them, but you can only carry 2/3 uses of kerosene at a time (so the prevention method becomes tedious busywork), and the spots where you get the kerosene will eventually run out.
    Last edited by Psychotime; February 12th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast