• penciltipred

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great show everyone.
    Si Swe- thanks for these continuous weeks of critiques man, I know I am personally terrible at replying whenever good advice is past on so my apologies for that. Thank you for the kind words and you're spot on, I've not resolved alot of construction with my creature here, its basically a blob with hands. I'll be more active in the Wips thread next time around.

I voted for :
    Daniorr - Great scene and good storytelling within the image, as for the creature itself things get a little confusing up top and had it not been for the name, I think it might have been two dragons there.

Ded- Owl and mammoth combo, priceless Like the features you extracted from each, good glowy godlike sheen from valhalla. Great piece.

Scorge - Fearsome and awesome beast. Nobody gets past this guy. Screams viking in a good way. I'd try to extend the canvas somewhat to keep all of the features of the beast in frame, and avoid the tip of the tail touching the front paw for depths sake.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Edward B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Close run thing for me between Scorge and Edward B. I had to vote Scorge in the end as I look things with a lot of character and it was the most complete design I felt. Ed man if you'd worked that up a little more you would have had my vote. I think it's a fantastic looking beast though it's hard to make out just whats going on especially with the face which is always important. And is the building actually on it's back? I like to think that it is

Bertling: Good on you mate, that's a great start in my book. I'f you start to use more dramatic angles and bolder lighting to pick out features (rim lighting is always good) you're well on your way

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ si swe- thank for taking the time to crit. not sure wether this is the place to responds to it, but I'd like to say something
    I spend quite a while trying to make the 8 legs work on the one body. in the end I had to move on before I was completely happy with it;
    fixing the body would have been a lot easier though; I should have spend more time on that in stead.
    it's also funny you should say it's japanese inspired. I was going for a bit of a feel like this:

I guess that completely failed though. good to know.

bertling- a man, 3 hours? thats a shame!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_Swe: Thanks again for all the helpful advice, I was rather disappointed with my final product and hopefully I'll manage to push myself a little harder on the next topic and come up with something better. Comments like this are why I'm here!

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_swe: thanks for the crit, very much appreciated, can't argue with any of your comments, their all bang on, especially the bird looking secondary, since i did have more fun doing all the background and stuff, so it obviously shows through.

bertling: good to see you kept at it, its a pity you didn't get this on time, i think you may have a had some votes for this one, good job, and good luck on the next one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My choice: grenogs, Kristo Novo and GammaGrey

The artwork made by grenogs more than any other one corresponds with my view of Valhalla gatekeeper. A giant brownish bird just seems right, I'm not sure that there's an explanation of this (: Also I like the slighty cartoonish style

Kristo Novo — to my mind, a very fitting creature for the job (: The colors are a bit oversaturated, and I don't like the dominance of blue and violet hues, though

GammaGrey — you don't need to look at this second time to see that there is a badass GUARDIAN. Liked it (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments and critics. i really need improvement on detailing and light rendering

my personal favorite is daniorrr's

Last edited by ded; February 16th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Everyone!

I voted for...

Scourge - Face horns and hair were my fave bits. I thin the front foot looks a little off, but I'm being fussy.

janubee - Good design, for me this challenge is about deign work, and although it's not over rendered, the design is new and interesting. Fits in nicely with a lot of the mythology. I'd like to have seen a figure for scale, but I guess the steps hint at that.

ded - That's mental! The yellow/blue backgound transition seems pretty harsh, and slightly offputting. The creature is amazing, totally bizzare, but I just keep looking at it.

Rob Powel - Nice combination of dragon and antlers. It looks pretty mythical, and intelligent enough not to just kill everything.

&kor - I just liked him / it. Lots of character.

I almost voted for...

Daniorrr - Great compostion. classic viking illustration - I can imagine it being in a kids book. I love the doors and ground lighting, but I felt the creature was a bit dragony and I thought the warrior took center stage.

Edward B - I think it's not quite regal enough. It looks more evil, and doesn't quite say "gate" to me. Good rendering though.

Bertling! - That's good man. Nice original design! I'd like to have seen a scale reference.

Erzebeth - it doesn't scream viking at me, but I think it's a lot stronger than your first image. maybe the geometric pattern on the wall is a little offputting.

Lander - Nice take on a dragon, I like the elements of different styles, but I think you could've used this more to your advantage throughout the image.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the crits guys. I really need some help with the texture I know that.

Si-Swe ---> Do you know tuto or nice video to help me with that problem?

Tomercs ---> Thx for the almost vote haha The wilb boar is actually into viking mythology but I should push it further with some strange drawing on is back or with his teeth... I don't really know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful work everyone! I think I might have to get involved in the next one as this is really inspiring.

I voted for Tomercs: I loved the design and rendering. The creature reminded me of something out of Zelda: Twilight Princess and I thought it was beautiful, elegant and terrifying all in one. Great job!

Also voted for Scorge: A really brutal looking beast this one - like a super-charged jungle cat on crack!

Wanted to mention ded: A lovely blend of two creatures, and honestly one I thought you wouldn't be able to pull off when I saw the plans in the WIP thread. You proved me very wrong; a fantastic job!

Robert Powell: A really noble take on the creature and I love the antler design.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Quint_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooof!
    fourth time re-reading the thread and finally decided on scourge, ded and lander.

have to mention Tomerc; love the light and feel. should have voted for him too.. oh, but 4 votes is too much right? too late now.

would have gone for janube too, but the piece is soo not finished.

oh and there;s penciltipred. ok, it's just a big stag. but I love the horns and the door resounding. beh, well. I voted. so that;s that!

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all comments and crits here and in the wip thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    si_swe
    tyhanks for your words n such had a feeling while looking at it was just a big deer i should have pusshed the design more
    upon reflection theres so much creativity i shoulld have put into this

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Erzebeth - For the most part it's just about knowing when to use what brush, and how to modulate direction just enough to give it variance and texture. Insofar as tutorials and videos go, I can't help you all that much. If you look up GoldenSerpent's sketchbook, they've posted a quick tutorial that outlines of of the many methods for fur rendering. The only real pieces of advice I can give on that count are: don't go crazy with the smudge tool (it works well but is very easy to overdo), keep your brush size large (it's all about suggesting texture, rather than rendering all of it out), make sure fur isn't just following contours perfectly (hairs have their own dynamics, look at images of fur, it's going off every which way, not just combed neatly in one direction).

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advices.
    I just need to point the fact that I don't use smudge tool at all. I used to before entering here but I really don't use it anymore. But I sure use small brushes. I'll be carefull with that now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the crit and for a good round.
    Hope to see you all next week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words and thoughtful crits. Decided to use only one vote this round (I'll never get used to a multi-vote thing). Went to Ded . A little stiff, but very immersive and believable pic! Close second to Tomercs, but that limp head and neck just put me off big time. Beautiful creature otherwise!
    See you in the next?

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1