Dear oh Dear Where ARE The Right COLORS!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dear oh Dear Where ARE The Right COLORS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dear oh Dear Where ARE The Right COLORS!

Ok sooo i have been drawing for a good while, and I don't unfortunately have a digital tablet, the best I have is elements 10 =P. anyways So for a long time now I have been drawing only in pencils and now I have been trying to learn to add colors.

I have strathmore 400 series mixed media paper that is 18x24. I have colored pencils but I don't really like the colors they produce, they aren't vibrant enough for me... I have some acrylic paints too.

My question is, suppose you drew like ... 10+ drawings on paper that you wanted to add color too. How would you go about doing it and what would you used to color them to get vibrant colors? gauche or watercolor perhaps? marker? idk thanks for reading would love to hear some advice and suggestions from others !

**edit** also i have a range of micron and prism color markers 005 01 02 03 05 08 B C thanks =)

Wisdoms dawns the veil of pain,
    Light reveals the illusion slain.

Sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After looking through you sketchbook I would say your problem isn't not having the right pigments, it's lack of understanding of color theory. All the paintings in you sketchbook look very vibrant, nothing has any impact within the painting though because everything is so saturated. I would step back and research mixing pigment and basic color theory before getting frustrated with the tools you have available.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to invinciblewombat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some of the things I see in your sketchbook, I may try markers, short term, for doodling etc.

More importantly I would second the suggestion to tackle learning color theory and how to make certain colors more vibrant. Once you know that, whioch media you use (acrylic, guache, makers or something else) won't be as important, and what you'll be able to do will expand greatly.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Conniekat8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep... also took a look at the sketchbook. First of all, I would take a look at values. One of the things that helps bright points in a painting is that the values of the areas around it are darker. For instance, if you have a bright yellow ball against a mid-value rock. The bright yellow is the pure color out of the tube of paint. It's not going to get any more saturated. However, to make the yellow ball pop more, you would darken down the rock a bit.

Also, color theory is definitely the way to go. There are a lot of optical effects that you can do to make something brighter.

In terms of media, certain media are definitely easier to get a "brighter" painting. When I first was painting, I started with watercolors. You can get very bright paintings by using glazing layers, value changes, etc. However, I found that acrylics and oil produces the best saturation with the value changes. But, if you don't understand value shift and basic color theory, then the medium is not going to help you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Hoppes For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As others have said, it's because you don't have enough experience in color theory and it's not the media.

In fact, one thing I recommend is working with less colors and a limited palette. While you can also learn with a lot of colors - I found that one challenge with limited palettes or limited amount of colors is that you have to solve problems with those limitations.

However, people have different approaches, some will say with a larger palette sooner or later you're going to realize what you need. So just speaking from my personal experience with colored pencils.

I've found less is more with colored pencils. I've developed a patience when mixing because I know it's with layering and erasing. Instead of that huge set of primsacolor pencils, I tend to keep no more than 12-(20 sometimes pushing it) in my set now. I mix what I need with layering.

The same thing went with markers. Less supplies I had the more I had to think about how to use them effectively.

Now, again I'd go for a good color theory book and I find that James Gurney has a good book http://amzn.com/0740797719

I also HIGHLY recommend Jason Manley's streaming lecture on color theory. It blew my mind as well. http://theartdepartment.org/streamin...-theory-of-art

The other thing that is free, is going to the Fine Arts section of this forum. You'll find a lot of exercises and information there to help you out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Now, again I'd go for a good color theory book and I find that James Gurney has a good book http://amzn.com/0740797719

I also HIGHLY recommend Jason Manley's streaming lecture on color theory. It blew my mind as well. http://theartdepartment.org/streamin...-theory-of-art
    I second this!

Minimal art went nowhere. - Sol LeWitt

DA

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.