space suit - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: space suit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_v View Post
    I think I prefer the head to side as opposed to looking toward us. The head to the side gave her more motion to her body and fit better with the bad-ass style she has with the guns and ammo belt. I also think that putting her face to the side draws much more attention to the suit. If you do want top show her face in detail, I would just consider doing either a forward or 3/4 angled close-up of her face and place it next to the full body shot of the or on a separate page.
    I have rarely seen profile faces on characters when their bodies are facing us ... I recently noticed that, after watching a lot of images of my favorite artists ... but thank anyway keith_v

Last edited by paulboutros; February 22nd, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    " SimonJ" , "SnailsPace", thanks guy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Paulboutros!
    I love both of these images and I like the progress/changes you've made so far. Concerning the lady in the orange suit though, I can't help but thinking she'd look better had her mouth been "pushed" a bit to the right; to me it looks a tiny bit off-center. Take care!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellangmongot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Paul

The girl in the orange has come along well. The Smoke + gun was a great addition. Her legs could be more spread apart because it seems like she is about to tip over to (our) left side. I would try having her eyes be focusing on something to her left, like she was before. I think her thigh / quad areas need to be more thicker because these legs look like they belong on a guy.

The blue suit is sweet, but I think you're loosing a lot of volume by putting so much detail in the suit. I like the pose a lot, the feet placement is solid looking. I think you could vary the amount of orange and green details. Right now it looks like there is the same amount of green, and the same amount of orange. Maybe use more of one, less of the other. I like the all orange hand, maybe continue that elsewhere, like an all-orange-shoulder pad.

See ya!

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the new head angle for the girl image. The profile view looked stiff and a bit awkward to me. Her pose would look stronger if she wasn't pigeon-toed and if she didn't have her pinky up, but I think her face and hair are just right because a lot of girls look that way.

I disagree that she has to be a tom-boy, super androgynous, or sexy to be a fighter. It's okay for a girl to be girly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to akkibox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, possibly nitpicky, but why the butt cleavage? That would be really uncomfortable. Also not actually possible unless they moulded the pants to the individual butt-cheeks or put in a strap or something to pull the fabric in.

Even in skin tight clothing, pants stretch across a person's buttocks, not between them. And they don't suction onto every individual muscle. So I find it kinda jarring, I guess, to see this highly detailed sci-fi armor/space suit, complete with breather mask and huge gun, with incredibly uncomfortable, completely impractical, and probably implausible pants just for the sake of showing off some ass.

My advice? Just go down the Boris Vallejo route and get rid of the pants. Draw them in a thong with the sci-fi armor thrown in over it. It's not practical, and might be kinda uncomfortable, but at least it's plausible.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Calireayn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mellangmongot : I agree with the mouth off center .. I tweaked it a bit. Thanks
    jdeegz : Agree, she is unbalanced . I just spread the leg slightly, that should do it now... The eyes focusing on something other than us is a good idea.. generally speaking eyes direction can change the whole story in an image. But for that and for the tigh issue I will have to skip that for now because I have other stuff on my plate...
    As for the guy I see what your are saying regarding the amount of green and orange, they are all about the same thickeness , mainly they have almost the same size and they all look like strips pretty much... definitely a design issue
    Thanks for all the revelant points jdeegz !
    __________________________________________________ ___

akkibox: yep, the pigeon-toed pose is great for a shy and peacefull character but for this one , it was not the best pose choice but I will rather rather move on . On my next concept (a female pirate ) I got rid of this leg pose.
    Calireayn : the butt cleavage is because I saw this on many comic superheroes... so I guess I have been unconsciously inspired by that ...maybe you right, and I when to far. Maybe it fits superheros but doesn't work with sci-fi characters... I think the Boris Vallejo route would be too much for me, I am more interested in creating suit,costumes etc rather than drawing/painting some perfect human anatomy like he does.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Available for freelance work. Feel free to contact me at paulboutros436@hotmail.com. See you there !
    www.paulboutros.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paulboutros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to ask - does the girl have cybernetic knee replacements? Or are those just knee pads of her suit? Because on every piece I've seen it looks like there's too much length in the lower thigh/upper shin, or that her knees are too thin in that region. That area's actually quite muscular, and from there the calf/shin region tapers down a lot to the ankle. Remember that the knee is the most complex joint in the body, so it has a lot going on to keep it in place!

Other than that, I think your texture work is pretty awesome, and I like to see a woman with a believable core, though her rib cage does seem a little narrow.

Last edited by akgreene; March 9th, 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Adding some notes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to akgreene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, don't bother looking at comic super heroes if you want to create interesting costumes, especially for women. 90% of them are essentially naked with a costume painted on.

Honestly, don't use comics as reference. Use real life. Use pictures of clothing and armor from movies, if anything, because at least the props had to be built in real life and worn by real people.

Ian Mack says [][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][] >

Obligatory Andrew Loomis Link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great design! Maybe you can do something about upper part of the "backpack". It kinda looks like the ^-part is connected to the shoulder-parts, which would make the wearer unable to move his\her upper arms freely. And if they're supposed to be connected, then there are some weird angles that you could fix.

To make a more solid silhouette, you could also make the space between the torso and left arm bigger.

Once again, great design. I really like it. (:

My sketchbook - please have a look ( :

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tebio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff so far,

posts 17 and 21 are my favorite iteration of the girl.

in post 22 you lost the whipping around and dramatic pose of the earlier ones.
    the smoke looks overdone.
    the pinch at the knees with the knee pads are odd, the boots look more fashionable than functional, they stick out.

for the guy the huge legs don't match the size of his clenched rear. he like almost could be effemenite, batman beyond or robins' skinny physique but then wearing huge armor that doesnt feel sleek at all.

my 2 cents,
    keep it going, turning out great!

Wizards&Warlocks
    new blog!/site: http://www.adamferrando.com
    my tumblr: • w •
    CA sketchbook: * w *
    twitter: @wiznwar
    for hire:@ w @

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ferrando For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 2