Thanks

The Sketchbook Project - Limited Edition

Hiya guys, I haven't been posting in a while so you might not even recognize my username...but I have found an awesome project and I'd like to share it with you:

The Sketchbook Project - Limited Edition
    Only 5,000 slots: a book will be made out of the project, and all the sketchbooks will be kept in the Art House library in Brooklyn, NY.
    You will be notified each time someone sees your sketchbook, and you have the challenge of having to follow one of these beautiful themes:

Time and the way we travel

Distance and time

How to spell and other things to learn

The science of story

Thread and surface

The last word ever spoken

Why did the owl make everyone laugh?

Create and capture

The secret and how to tell it

Pictures and descriptions

I seriously think this is a great chance, the only thing is you have to pay to cover the cost of the delivery, have the site running, have the book be made, etc. etc. There are discounts for small groups and big groups!
    There just needs to be four people to have a 15% discount, and since it's my birthday in two days I wanted to say 'fuck it' and get the big package (pre-order of the book & digitizing of the sketchbook included), but the discount would make quite a bit of a difference to me.
    You still sign up individually, decide your theme for your own, and get the sketchbook sent directly to your home, I'll just send you a coupon code and you can send me the data you use to sign up so I can confirm you're part of my group in a mail.

Well, I hope some of you guys are interested, and hey, even if you don't want to help me out, I hope you think the website and the project's cool!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    woah, this looks different than what they did the last two years - I don't remember there being a single book made before, is that new? I totally flaked and didn't turn in mine for this year, have they extended the deadline for the 2011 SB Project, or is this a completely different thing?

EDIT oh, scratch that question, it looks like totally different themes than the 2011 SB project. This looks awesome though, a much shorter deadline, but I'm in!
    Last edited by Saramel; February 8th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    Create and Capture sort of covers all sketchbooks so I think that's what I'd do. I may do this, if time allows. What happens if you don't finish your sketchbook?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    What happens if you don't finish your sketchbook?
    If you don't turn it in, then Art House Co-Op gets a nice little donation from you. If you turn it in incomplete, I believe that's ok, but you should probably put enough in there for them to choose something good to put in their published book (it seems to me that way).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts
    2 months to finish a whole sketchbook (and it be good) seems a tad difficult.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    2 months? Well it'd be a good kick in the ass, I guess.

I wouldn't even stick with a theme even if I tried.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 559 Posts
    That actually sounds really cool! ...times like this I wish I had the spare cash! Well those of you who do take part ... Rock those sketchbooks!

Thanks
    The sketchbooks, at least in the past, have been reasonably thin. They used to use the Moleskine Cashiers, but I think after lots of survey comments on the bad quality of paper, they switched to a different kind, which I believe has even less pages. The nice thing about the cashiers is that you could easily rip out pages by removing one from the front, then pulling out the other half from the back. Also, you are welcome and perhaps encouraged to rebind the sketchbooks, as long as the dimensions remain the same and they don't get much thicker, so you could put in fewer pages of a higher quality paper, and use a larger variety of mediums. Last year's sketchbook was simply bound by two staples, so rebinding would be incredibly easy (probably also in response to their survey results). I've never done this project by filling out the entire book (I've pulled pages out and then glued paper in), but I've also never done it with less than a year deadline, either. It would definitely be a lot more rushed... a very good kick in the ass...

Thanks
    Saramel has been a darling and has answered all the questions for me, ehe. She clearly knows more about the project than I do - this is my first time taking part in it!

The pages are 36! It's less than one page a day, seriously, there have been way harder challenges here! I'm glad so many people seem to be interested
    I'll PM you the discount code, and you just have to PM me back the info with which you signed up for the project so I can mail them to the Art House saying you're part of my group and the discount is legit, lol.

We could open a thread to share our progress and support each other, later, too!
    I just spent all of January drawing one page a day, so I'm in for the race, ehe.

Thanks
    Ah! I'm excited, this will be fun! And Happy Birthday!!

EDIT AWW S#%*! Signups just filled up! :'( I was just going to sign up, and they are full! I'm so sad!
    Last edited by Saramel; February 9th, 2012 at 01:20 PM.