Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Camp #213- 50 gestures + Optional "Drawing Technique Study"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Spartan Camp #213- 50 gestures + Optional "Drawing Technique Study"

Spartan Camp #213- 50 gestures + Optional "Drawing Technique Study"

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 12th of February.

- The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, cavorting capybaras.... You can draw full figures, but you can also go for heads, arms, eyes, or anything specific. All media can be used, both digital or traditional. Coloured or black/white. Quick scribbles or long studies. Imagination or referenced. Clothed or nude. Specifics are up to you!

- In addition to this, participants can choose to do an Optional "Drawing Technique Study", in any medium.
    Additional notes on this weeks’ Optional Study:

The background
    We've never really looked into the actual act of drawing itself, so we'll look at a couple of different techniques for this optional study. Regardless of the medium, there are always many different techniques. When for example using a pencil, you can use the tip as well as the side. Cross hatching, contour lines, scribbling, there are different ways to draw. The goal for this week is to explore some techniques.

The exercise
    How to go about this study? The best would be to try something new with your medium, or pay attention to the technique specifically. Some examples. Paint some objects on your desk using the side of your pencil. Or a referenced figure where you explore cross-hatching. A few objects, just in contour lines. Or do some quick gestures by just scribbling.

Have to admit the subject is kind of new to me, and I couldn't dig up too many guides. But here's something to get you started. If anyone can think of other techniques, do tell!

Links:
    Tips1
    Tips2
    Tips3

Next weeks optional study
    Material study

As always- reference advised, not obligatory. Colour, medium, time frame, any specifics are up to you! Good luck and have fun! And feel free to ask questions!

50 poses is a challenge, but don't hurry or stress yourself reaching it! Focus on drawing, as practising is the main goal of this exercise.

Criticizing each other is highly encouraged!! Share constructive criticism, reference images and resources!! Let's help each other get better!

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME - SPARTAN CAMP #212

ashess
    blu01
    Little-Maiden
    AdrianNagorski
    Anthis
    do9
    eclip-se
    zy.
    darkops
    shiNIN

Join the SPARTAN CAMP under Community Activities
    50 Gestures and an Optional Study every week!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silhouette studies mostly. I've not done many of these before so these took longer than I expected. One is a page for this weeks CHOW and the second is working from posemaniacs and watching fashion shows.

Attached Images Attached Images    

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, Im sensing a pattern here. I'm interposing my 'model' of a human being over the actual foto- well, I have to. if I cannot look at the original, that's what I use to figure where everyting goes.
    problem is, it is a very simple model. and it's off a bit.-look at 2nd pic where I drew the photo straight on, while the 2nd try, when I looked, you can obviously see it was turned. Im thinking maybe one way to talke is not to remember the figure's outline, but focus on negative space.
    it's funny shinin would mention math problems, because this is definitely a case of the knowledge getting in the way. it's also funny as I started on computer science last year and did quite a bit of math. you dont think there could be a connection?

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: I'm way to tired and probably unskilled/unexperienced to answer such question, I just mention one thing. Well I've read Creating Characters with Personality today, my mind is a bit too full It talks about babies too and it's right. Use curves for babies. Flow is very important other times too but straight lines has its very important role as well. But babies really need curves. Just draw more or less curvy lines everywhere, draw quite a few nice flowy strokes before to get the hang of it if needed. The third kid has angular ear in your drawing, for example... The strokes are too short, uncertain, scribbly. I think you are the type (like me) who need to get loose, focus less on the photo, get free, you don't have to COPY, get the feeling, copying even can get into your way, no need to put that little fold under the eyes. If it would be a photorealistic painting, you should include that too but even your typical old master painter wouldn't care about it A realistic line sketch is necessarily hard because real world doesn't realy have lines. If you strip a photo from its values and keep the edges, it wouldn't be as good as a wisely simplified, altered version where some edges are elsewhere in order to get closer to the essence of the original, without values.
    Maybe babies would teach you to use fewer, better lines. If it would be an intricated robot or even an old man, you could get away with non economic line usage more easily. Babies with their smooth flowy body aren't so forgiving

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh, linework. I cant even see that far ahead right now. first thing I see, is my very first measurement was completely off. I looked again; when I started, I told myself the head height was 1 1/2 the width. that's what I thought I put down. but I see I erred there too and made it closer to 1 2/3 in height. while the original is hardly 1 1/3 height/width. also, the lilt of the head is off. the eyes are ok, but that ear is indeed an eyesore. I also made it way too big. and yes, it shouldnt ever be that angular.

edit- one more wack at it. 10m? prolly lots wrong with it too but seems ok to me now. though the lines seem pretty short now and I though I used pretty long ones.
    Name:  _MG_4804c.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  27.9 KB

Last edited by ashess; February 8th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
    >>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: Measurements and failing... *shudder* I was there, for long, at that. No fun, just much time spent on something that ended up being not like yours but totally crappy, several times. My self confidence died because of those times I guess.
    I really don't know if that period is needed or avoidable somehow but my approach is different nowadays. Focusing on numbers and details too much can ruin the whole pic pretty much, at least it happened to me. Loose strokes in a more carefree way, looking at the whole thing is what works for me now but I can't extrapolate from this. Still, your strokes and lines and details look a bit much but maybe it's not that easy to be simple.
    Maybe this post has no use but my intentions were good...

Next time I bring baby sketches too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianNagorski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden: Question for you: When you do those silhouette studies, do you start with a basic sketch of the figure and then fill it with a dark colour, or do you leap right into the silhouette? That is probably a really stupid question, but I keep seeing people do silhouettes and the purpose as well as the methods sort of elude me.

AdrianNagorski: Oooh those figures are looking way better, dude! Keep doing what you're doing!

Hey guys, here are feet & a butt. I like to think the lone dude fell from a great height into a field of disembodied feet and is now bemoaning his fate.

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.
    - Ray Bradbury

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littlebones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm.. because its infinitely easier to critizise other then to do something myself.. here goes!

@adrian-
    I notice some constructions in your 2nd post so you prolly notices, but you're screwing all your 3d space. I think you should place a box either as or right after initial setup, and check your drawing against it. also check the directions and do not be afraid of overlap. I redid a horse adding some notes.
    it just says if the bodypart is recieding or coming towards the viewer.
    Name:  horsis.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  34.9 KB
    as an aside, it would be nice if you could say which of these are done with ref, and which without. I think I can tell, but Im not always sure.

littlebones~ love your linework. the feet themselves are great too, but the ancle join is off. the bone continues on lower on the outside of the foot (little toe side). yours the inside is lower. really odd mistake. thats where the bones of the lower leg originate, so if you draw the lower leg its often off too..
    Name:  fotties.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  85.0 KB
    the idea about the guy having fallen in a field of feet made me laugh

little maiden
    I dont know how you do it, but I usually start off with a selection and fill it black. then I start adding and shaving off pieces. I can take an hour on a silouette no problem. soits usually longer thena normal sketch! how long did yours take§

"shiNIN/
    ooh. goodluck with that! ahh. dont get discouraged if the results vary! ahhah. well, maybe you´ll get the hang of it faster then me.

>>mah tumbr

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just one single reply now (it's amazing how many hours I can spend in CA topics instead of drawing)

littlebones: you didn't ask me but I love silhuettes even if I don't do them very frequently. Linework and fill seem silly to me, people are different though. Whever I draw a silhuette, I can enjoy I needn't to draw lines and can add parts without making the drawing messy and it's quick and fun When I was even worse, I drew lines adding and substracting brush stroke shapes, not using normal strokes.
    I'm pretty sure most artist play with shapes when drawing silhuette. It seems very logical.
    I'm looking forward to Little-Maiden's answer too

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hopefully this time I will be able to get the 50 done in time.

the resource: http://lovecastle.org/draw/

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ashess: thanks for the tip, i usually just use massive shapes then redraw finer shapes when i work, 95% of what I've been posting is from ref but i do use my imagination sometimes on many of the images i get carried away, i might have to force my self to use boxes lol.

1h30m approximately Stake land value study.

thats it from me this week got a bit of overtime to do at work, also got to finish my character sheet for the Chow activity.

c yeah guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yw adrian. always room for imporvement

here's a quicky.
    Name:  _MG_4804d.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  86.9 KB

got it into m head toenter thisweek's cow. so I hope I can keep this up

>>mah tumbr

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to Silhouettes

Well tbh I do it differently depending on the subject. Sometimes I start with a bunch of black and begin cutting away until the shape forms. Other times, I start with a faint outline and then fill in. Most of the time its the combination of both.

They both have advantages. If you start with a filled in block and cut away then its like sculpting on a 2D level, but its harder to be accurate and get the relationships between things right. A quick set of lines to mark where edges are, a prominent curve/edge or a simple relationship between overlapping parts will allow more accuracy with the final silhouette.

@Adrian Nagorski
    wow alot of work this week, keep going! I can see improvement so you're on track.

@MartinC
    I like those gestures, theres like a combination of organic and straight lines. Great stuff.

---
    ANyhow here are some lips and a few more silhouettes

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 10th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holly crap, this was freaking hard.
    Resources used:
    Posemaniacs.com
    nature-pictures.org
    mmaphotography.com
    Google for eyes.

Last edited by CarbonBased; February 10th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The remaining 25 and I'm

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello guys. Only 14 poses this week. It is still very difficult for me to find right lines of body. I'd like to ask on process of creating right pose. I think It should start with head, action line (shoulders, pelvis as littlebones had said before), then some outlines and add wrapping lines at the end. Isn't it? I am reading Michael Hampton - Figure drawing what is great resource, I think.

I really appreciate your advices, thanks guys.
    I would like to give you some advices too, but I have nearly no knowledge in this area . I can only encourage you or say what I think is bad (if I would see it).

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blu01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick gestures from (ref). These are done without taking notice of details, just focusing on shapes and the gesture. Not posting my warmup sketches today, they're all over the place.

Then imagination.

For ashess and anyone else interested. Some landmarks and measurements I use. This was pretty rough and fast. Even had to scan twice and paste the two halves together. In retrospect I also should have done a figure standing upright.
    These guidelines may give you some rough ideas though. Some are from Loomis or other sources, some I've come up with myself. Note that all of this is subject to variation, and nothing of this is set in stone. They're loose anchor points. I have more of these, but was running out of time and space. If you can't read it, please ask!

34. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try to be very short, it's hard because I'm very, very tired.
    I didn't do any digital stuff this week, I mostly was away from my computer as I don't handle 10C/50F very well. I hate this long very cold weather in general by the way and the frozen water pipes destroyed all my mood that remained. I even stopped eating and I'm much more used to it than to drawing.
    Some of the figures and other stuff I drew a few days ago:

(reference for the baby is in #4)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, had really no time for myself, didn't draw for 3 days.

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so this is what i got this week, 75 poses. hopefully next week i can get some more digital paintings

blu01- i don't know if this well help but when i first started drawing the poses i tried to do five a day and slowly increase so i can get close to fifty poses in a week...now i draw ten poses everyday in the morning

Last edited by darkops; February 12th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darkops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden; Nice silhouettes. It feels like you've done the Chow ones before the fashion show figures. Always consider if one leg is supporting the body more than the other and determine whether the pelvis would be tilted as a result. The poses where you seemed to have forgotten appear less strong to me. Great fashion silhouettes by the way, that's a nice idea. Some good designs for the CHow too. Third one of the last row has a great pose. Second figure of the second row has a very toned down design that seems elegant and somewhat timeless.

AdrianNagorski; Those horses are tough as nails, wonderful work. Nice figures. I've noticed the legs (especially the lower leg) have great shape. The feet are troublesome sometimes, but the legs themselves are strong. Like how the knee transitions into the shin. You really considered anatomy there. Those chests can look odd though! Same with the neck/heads, but you're already working on that...and I always enjoy seeing some Bridgman!

ashess; I'd concur with ShiNIN on the curves. You know those typical Disney sketches with big round balls and ovals in them? The method is often used for figures and seems very applicable to babies. Gotta say #6 looks pretty good proportion-wise. I like the eyes with the typical baby-eyelids. Note that the baby-head is slightly tilted downward; the tips of the ears in the photo are thus slightly above the eyebrows. You can also see the top of the head, which you otherwise couldn't. This would have been easier if you had completed the hairline, making it easier to see how the head is angled.
    Oh well, a bit more critical than intended. I like the thought you're putting behind this, though (to me at least) it can be a pitfall to overthink things.

shiNIN; Good thoughts! I agree with the carefree drawing though I'd formulate it differently. Lately I'm trying to draw focused while staying loose. So you reinforce the drawing with a bit of measuring without overthinking. Eventually you have to learn to 'feel' what's right, don't you?

littlebones; ashess has a good point on the feet. Coincidentally, I actually noted this in my last image. It refers to the joint being higher up on the medial (inner) side of the leg. You probably just missed this, because many of those feet are also correct. Great work, by the way. You're doing a nice job on that heel. I've started noticing that the rest of the foot gets considerably easier once that heel and its attachment to the tendon above looks correctly. Think it applies to your feet as well. Also, the guy who fell down looks great.

MartinC; Heya MartinC! Very solid work. You have some pretty solid lines there, and I also like how you added some simple shadows in some of the figures. Nice proportions too, you only lose track of those occasionally (such as in #10 of your second post, and the one 3 figures to his right. Your numbers are a little confusing I'm afraid, haha). I'd love to see some of your own figures. While great exercises by themselves, referenced studies seem to have more use when you follow up with some from imagination. Put the study to use. Nice and clean studies, great work!

CarbonBased; Hah, yea it can be a lot of work! Remember though, these can be gesture drawings. You don't have to get really detailed. You've got some great studies though, I especially like the insects you added. I'd say the grasshopper is especially well positioned. Great foreshortening. And looks so easy! Oh well. Good figures too. Especially the first couple are very organic. You lose some of that in the boxers. It's tough to keep the gesture when you start getting into details...

blu01; I think Hampton is pretty good. He does a lot of anatomy though and less gestural drawing. I'd say the action line is very important. I'd also consider the three big masses (pelvis, torso, head) and how they relate to another. Meaning how they are angled and tilted and such. You don't necessarily have to start with the head though. But with those 3 masses, you've got the core of the body. I like to start with legs early as they support the rest. You can also do some quick sketchy action lines for arms and legs early on, to guide you. Like in figure #7 you've got some quick adtion lines trough the arms and legs. The pose looks great. Gesture drawing is to capture the movement, the essence, of the figure. Nice work!

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow, instant updates!

Darkops, eclip-se and shiNIN- I'll get back to you tomorrow!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just gonna post these 14 gestures I did, referenced from or inspired by Ryan Woodward's animation Thought of You. Interesting animation with great gestural drawings, the making of is worth a watch too.
    Anyway, le drawings, don't think I'll make it to 50 this week, also made a half finished CHoW this week

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to do9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, been held up with Chow this week, if you were keeping up with the thread, my WIP was resembling the work of Stanley Lau, even though I wasn't using him in my reference. Should be back to Spartan Camp more.

Nonetheless heres an update. Will post more here if SC214 isn't up and running today.

CRITS AND REPLIES

@Anthis
    Thanks for crits, I agree, when I realised I should put more thought into feet placement the poses did come out alot more balanced than previous attempts. I'm still learning how to place feet though. I frikin hate it, cause feet seem so unnatural to me- Its not so much the foot itself but how the leg and feet are placed in general, well It just means I need to work alot more on that aspect of figure drawing.

As for your posted work, It seems more chaotic than previous posts, although in a good way. The first image of your post has an almost scribbled order to it. You noted one of your figures with a "?" in regards to his left foot. I think in that pose there would be much more pressure being placed on that foot so it should show that pressure. Not as much as the other since he's resting his weight on it, but just a bit, to show the weight leaning him back.

@darkops
    Good poses, try focusing internally more, not just on contour. Also in regards to the number of poses- starting small and going more is a good idea, however its also worthy to note a few things in regards to poses. Gestures are warmups, anyway you go around it, they are merely the openers to drawing, not the drawing in and of itself. Its crucial to know how to do gestures (its deceptively simple, but probably one of the hardest parts of drawing to master) but its should always be kept in mind that you should do more than *just* gestures.

50 x 60second gestures are 50 minutes. So lets say 1 hour. 1 hour per day is not much. Its obviously better than nothing (consistency is key in art) but don't just do a few gestures and say yep, thats me for today! woohoo! Steadily increase workload to about 3-4 hours, or even 6 hours if you're going professional.

@blu01
    That portrait study came out ok! Sure the freatures and such aren't all correct however you got a really nice texture to the skin, really shows that old leathered skin kind of look. I think if you manage to get the form and keep the texture you'll come out with a good piece. Right now its a bit flattened on account to the tones used, but its getting there.

------------------------------
    I also have some suggestions for Spartan Camp btw, Would it be a good idea if we added a "monthly" thing? Like we can have the usual 50 poses and weekly optional, but every month we could have a long, slow paint, laborious study- Maybe we can find a picture online, and say:

you have a month to render this, go.

I'm really just wondering if it would help, since right now everyone is very focused on quick studies and ignoring the long process that art usually takes. Most of the great pieces of work you see coming from people like James Gurney, Justin Gerard, etc- all of whom are contemporary artists don't just bash out masterpieces in a few hours. I think having the time to look at a subject and do a little bit of work on it everyday will prove useful in the long run.
    -----------------------------------
    So:

Gestures! car perspecitve and groundwork studies. The 8 ball is a really shitty attempt at shading for the optional. I used the side of my pencil and then switched the grip to use the point- as was suggested in the resources Anthis was kind to provide. Suffice to say It took longer than I anticipated
    and came out worse than I expected Ah well, win some lose some >.<

--

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN; That sounds awful and most certainly not healthy. Not sure about you, but I'm having trouble drawing when frozen, hungry or sleep deprived. Take care of yourself. I noticed the figure where you said "very flawy but my own". I'd say the gesture is really strong and natural here. Just imagine the torso slightly smaller (and with finished legs) and you've got a really strong pose. By yourself. It looks like a really loose and playful gesture.. yet it's successful. That should give you some ideas.

eclip-se; Looking good! I enjoy those first sketches. Really loose and focused on gesture. Get the movement and overall organic shape correct. Detail can come later. At least, that's how I see it. Nice work. Careful with those heads though! Can be on the small side proportion-wise. I like how you explore different ways to shade those figures in the 10min sketches. I notice you use cross hatching as well as having all lines in the same direction (especially in that last one). I often find it difficult to figure out when to apply which technique. Nice studies!

darkops; Whoa, loads! You're going about them very nicely. Subtle work. I like how you don't exaggerate most of the forms, which is an easy pitfall. Solid work. You can easily tell the genders apart even without the breasts. You should totally integrate these with a couple from reference and/or imagination! Heads can be on the small side, but this only happens occasionally. I noticed those bodybuilder poses in there... I usually skip them, do you like them? Personal preference, maybe.

do9; I recognize the animation, they're good gestures. I've looked around for good reference photography from stage plays and dancers, but so far haven't been able to find any. These are nice though, I hope they were big enough. The gestures I like most are to the right, where you applied the technique. That's a nice method. Actually, I've seen people also use it at life drawing and such. Using a thick line to show the edge of the shadow I mean. Not sure what the rationale behind it is, but it seems to work. Nice and subtle work though, very appealing. I wonder if it would work with self-constructed figures. Nice job!

Little-Maiden; What you refer to as the chaotic poses is true. I was noticing and received critique on my gestures getting stiff and less organic. So I'm experimenting with a more rough approach. I should do some finished characters soon to test whether I'm having any result, haha.
    I like what you've done with the 8-ball. And I'm not quite comfortable with that technique either. Some experimenting is valuable, though.

I also like your idea and you're correct there. This is a rather 'quick' activity, although you can take your time if you want. Actually doing artwork takes time and that's more than a week. Also, I don't know any place where long studies are done as a regular activity. So I do think your idea has value.
    There's one "but" though (there always is). I don't think it would work in addition to the optional studies (gets confusing), plus I'm kind of at a limit to the stuff I can take on. I've also just started doing weekly studies with the members in my Sketchbook Support Group. Should spend more time on college and setting up a portfolio as it is, haha.

I can give a trial run to a 2 or 3-week optional study though. Grab and post some good high-res reference images. We could share progress shots as the weeks go by. Could work, I think people would join. What do you think?

Last edited by Anthis; February 13th, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthis View Post
    Using a thick line to show the edge of the shadow I mean. Not sure what the rationale behind it is, but it seems to work.
    What Ryan Woodward seems to do, and what I tried to recreate, is using de darker lines for the core shadows. But in my attempts I found it quite difficult to find them at times. There are so many different shadows on a photographed body. It did learn me to look more analytical to the models, trying to find lines and shadows, so I'll definitly try this more often. Thanks for your comments .

About the longer running studies and the nature of Spartan camps (I only did a few though), but I feel like there's an 'almost anything goes' atmosphere here that is both a strength and a weakness. You're pretty much free in what you do with your 50 gestures, on subject matter, rendering, time spend, material used, etc. Due to this there is both room for long studies and quicker ones, and it's up to the person how much work he/she puts in. I for instance take quite a lot of time for each sketch and for me a Spartan camp isn't a quick acitivity, but very useful nonetheless. I very much like that this is almost some sort of a studygroup and all sorts of studies are welcome. An extra optional longer running study could be nice and I might participate, but I feel like the Spartan Camps are already open to these sort of initiatives.
    Maybe at the start of the new one any participant can say: "I'm going to start a long study on a particular subject, anyone interested is welcome to join"?

52. The Following User Says Thank You to do9 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anthis - Thank you for a crit. I agree, The boxer studies turned into muscles studies, instead of gestures, somehow. I guess I liked drawing with blue, so I played around too much. And insects were really fun to draw. I just drew what I saw, without thinking of proportions or anatomy, like I would, drawing people.
    Your gestures are really cool to look at, trying to see how you approach this study

And I guess this is reflection on what I did;
    Posemaniacs has a lot of weird angles, but I like the consisten, relatively, size of the figures, seeing muscles also seems to help.
    I had a really tough time downscaling when I draw larger references, into a consistent set of gestures, on other reference websites.

Some comments:

do9andMartinC - I really liked your gestures, seeing shadows really helped to get that feeling of mass and movement.

Good job, everyone.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to CarbonBased For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My post disappeared... Whatever.
    Thanks, Anthis I often think you are too kind (not the untrue kind but you are very reluctant to give hard crits) but I need that sometimes too Finishing those legs? Huhh... Knee and below that is a fearful part for me, I study and try and I just fail at that
    About Little-Maiden's proposal...
    {quick activity? I never could do anything for this topic when I spent a few hours on it... But I guess I'm the only one who was that lame... And every figure costed at least 30 mins in the past...}
    Will it be some copying stuff then (at least the possibility of it, for someone like me I never wish to do a brainless copy but if I don't need to do some drastic change, it ends up like one anyway)? Because I don't need much better copying skills, they are much better than my normal, useful ones A copy doesn't require so much time either, well it's depends on the complexity of the original. All the activities I see around here involving very own works, well not Spartan Camp though there were optionals where we had to change the view angle and it was hard but cool, I had to use my brain
    But whatever will it be, I will be totally in. I need more activities. I'm very lazy on my own, too much of a chicken for Chow and I can't even go back to do DSGs. When I had no skills, I was braver I overthink things. I require soooooooo much from myself and can't meet my own standards.

But the 2-weeks long very cold winter period reached its end (or it just takes a holiday), sunshine, "warmth", nice amount of snow, hills and frozen lake, I really need to wish to do enviros already

Best wishes to you all ~

56. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.