question for guys who paint black and white first.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question for guys who paint black and white first.

im finding that for where i am personally i like the do everything in black and white for values then coloring on top of it.

however the problem is a simple "overlay" or "color" layer never give the look of me just painting it using color from the beginning.

so does anybody have any tips or a process other than that one? or a way to get more "true" color out of this.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This might help answer your question:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2011/3...-to-color.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats exactly what im talking about, but the not preview version of something like that.

im also trying to learn to "render" without using lines finally and now id like to take this test picture i just did of some random internet girl from b/w to a colored picture.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because an overlay or colour layer only does half the job. It's akin to doing a wash or a glaze with watercolours or really thinned out acrylics or oils. You want a normal layer over the top whilst sampling from both your palette and observed colours from reference, but only do so when you think there is enough information to go from. The point of the wash is so that you can visualize the colour composition before moving on to the final render.

Think of it as a second underpainting. When I was learning this technique I learned that a single surface isn't monochromatic and so you should use the underpainting also to get a good understanding about how the colour of the light is interacting with the planes of the volume of whatever you're rendering. A lot of it falls apart when you're using the exact same hue to colour the chin with the cast shadow under the jaw for example. It is an infinite variety of gradating hues, not a small set of objective surface colours with different values.

Last edited by Beeston; February 6th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The purpose of a b/w painting is a value study. You make it to inform your color work.

You can use it as a base layer, but, as you've said, the result is usually lackluster. Treat it as another sketch, and paint the final color one looking at it, not over it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2