Sketchbook: Just a beginner. Will xp grind for +level.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Just a beginner. Will xp grind for +level.

Hey my name is John Paul, I am 22. I have been drawing ever since I was little. I took art classes in grade school but none really in college. So far I am mostly self/video/reference taught. I want to take more classes but they are too expensive right now. I love art, imagination, communication through art, and all that. I also enjoy playing with design concepts.

Anyways I have novice level knowledge of anatomy, so I am gonna to be working on that in future updates. I am trying to work on just general lighting techniques and contrast, etc. most of the time I have enjoyed drawing in pencils but I have realized I don't really want to be stuck into drawing in pencils so really only now am I starting to really get some serious hours in working in color =(.

So I think I really need to work on these foundations more (especially drawing people). I found a couple of those online anatomy models for that. Also I'm sure many of you artists have lots more experience than me and would be able to critique my book and give me suggestions on what to work on ^_^.

thanks for looking ! ill be sure to check out anyone's page's who comment =)

(just sketched this up yesterday. I like to experiment with details in pointillism.

(current WIP. one of my first acrylics, just started experimenting with them more recently.)

and now for a whole heap of older stuff, sketches, drawings, etc.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOOKING ! I will try to update often with sketches and stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Artpotion; February 6th, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Wisdoms dawns the veil of pain,
    Light reveals the illusion slain.

Sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    been reading on the forums a lot and wanted to practice drawing some stuff from real life. So yeah here is my sketch i did today =).

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    update with more sketches =). Yikes my figure drawings are bad bad lol. about the same as being lvl 1 killing some lvl 1 rats =P.

thanks for looking =)

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    A few more sketches and some work on my last still.

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Inc more pictures =)

some anatomy

and then a WIP its a picture inspired by my trip to the grand canyon =). this is just the basic marker outline. trying to figure out what would be best to use to color it a vibrant batch of blues and purples. any suggestions? its on a 400s strathmoore 18x24 mixed media paper.

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    You are definitely prolific! Keep up the drawing. Trying to incorporate some more useful practice techniques when you're working on drawing something you're imagining. Use reference even if it's not exactly what you're trying to draw. For example a barren wasteland on the surface of the planet QWetzer isn't something you can get a picture of. But you can google pictures of the mars surface, or the moon, or maybe the grand canyon and use portions of those as an alien planet.

Same thing for a tree in a drawing. You might not find a tree in front of a 3ft tall brick wall with a cat sitting on it like you want to draw. So just google image search for trees (maybe even a certain variety of tree) and find a tree you'd like to add to your picture. Repeat those steps for the cat and the brick wall.

Same thing for people. People reference is actually even easier to get. You're a person! Grab a digital camera, dress up like the character you want to draw and start taking pictures. You'll be surprised how much learning to use reference helps.

Good luck! Keep drawing. You have a great imagination going on here. Add in a little bit more technical knowledge and you're going to be churning out some amazing work.

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MyOrangeHat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice start MyOrangeHat offered some good advice.
    My suggestion would be to ease up on your pencil a bit. Looks like you've got a death grip happening and it translates into your line work.
    There are a few different pencil grips (there was a discussion about it in the art-discussion forum recently) Take a look for them and give it a shot.
    One of the best lessons I ever learned is that it doesn't have to look perfect in one shot. use guide lines- draw lightly and let yourself make mistakes. If you draw something you like you can always clean it up later by tracing it onto a clean piece of paper or cleaning it digitally.
    When in doubt - practice your fundamentals. tonnes of resources on those on this site

Happy sketching!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    First...great imagination and sense of design...don't ever lose that! What I would recommend is defining for yourself what kinds of things interest you and what direction do you want to take your art? Study and analyze artists that inspire you and try to learn about their approach, media and working methods. And tehn give it all you've got! I'd say you have a great deal of potential...just depends on what you want to do with it.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MyOrangeHat - Thanks! been trying to catch up my fundamentals for a long time now. Been using a few references. A few other people said that I don't understand color theory well enough and said I should practice lighting and values.

Rhubix - Thanks man, yeah I love the pencils and pens =P. Ill try to draw some lighter strokes too lol.

Jeffx99 - Thank you Jeff =). I think I am leaning in the direction of design and or concept art? I also might have a strange interest in Tattoos as a possibility? So I've been checking out concept artists and designers and some tattoo artists =).

Will post a few more pics later tonight just wanted to be sure I said my thanks ^_^.

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    hey so I only have a few pics today, gonna be drawing a bunch tonight though =).

So i took some peoples advice and did some more research on color theory and i realized I need to get better at the values in greyscale first, zoo I practiced it a bit. The tonal greyscale of the second dragon I gave to my friends son, he was so cute 2.5 yo running around screaming about the dragon drawing he had =).

uhh yeah I did some more sketches than this but yeah =P

thanks for looking, more advice please, the greyscale dragon was roughly 30 minutes? maybe 40 yeah but just trying to figure out the highlights and shadows etc thanks again

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Been drawing a bunch the last few days. Most of it is unfit for human eyes, but Ill post up a 50 figure drawing I did today. Now Im a noob at figure drawing so most of the figures are very simple.

thanks for looking!!!

Thank you guys for viewing, I started to get so tired of drawing the figured by 50. But hopefully soon I can advance to the harder figures. Im gonna download a few more loomis and other drawings books I think.

Can anyone here tell me some really good books for the more or less beginner approach to figure drawing? I got the one by loomis, figure drawing for all its worth and I got it free online yay ^_^.

Intuos 4 medium in Tminus 3 days!
    take care.

Last edited by Artpotion; February 13th, 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Sketchbook.

Thanks
    Gottfried BAMMES "Der nackte Mensch" is really good, find it.
    Good luck & post more! =)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MadArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey There,
    Keep drawing and keep posting! Don't feel you need to try and master everything at once, that can get pretty intimidating, but it's easy to want to move quickly through things. Those little figure studies are a good start. Maybe for a little while pick one area to focus on, say, line quality, and don't worry about anything else. Perhaps then switch over to value for a while, getting tones down...I used to use the metaphor that it's bit like conducting an orchestra,and you're adding a new instrument here and there. The toes might be off from time to time, but it'll gradually come together with practice and reps...
    Hope this helps, it's not much in relation to any particular piece, but hopefully just a little piece of mind to enjoy the ride and all the little breakthroughs.
    Keep it up!
    M

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks guys! been waiting anxiously for my intuos 4 tablet. I just got asked to design a tattoo for my friend. I was thinking of a big like professional Tie tat, and i got a few cool celtic/egyptian themes running in my sketches =)

Sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.