Art: Portfolio Review Request

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portfolio Review Request

Hi, my name is Brian Allen - I'm new to CA.org. I'm an illustrator struggling to break out to the next level. Please have a look at my portfolio (see attached images, or visit my website: www.flylanddesigns.com) and lay on the constructive feedback. Be painfully honest - I'm a big boy!

Specifically, I'm looking for advise on what is my strongest technique (if you visit my website, you'll see that I have many different styles, and I'm having trouble choosing one to focus on).

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Brian Allen
    Flylanddesigns.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waaaaay too many things in your portfolio. I get the feeling that a good chunk of it is older work put in to fill up the site, because it's not all at the same level. Avoid that. Leave in only your best work, preferably the stuff that all shoots the same look.

In my opinion, some of your strongest work is the very graphic, edgy, ink with color designs. Cap/Batman piece has some coo, stuff going on. I like the Blanka skateboard design, the evil clown, the Spongebob, a lot of the stuff on the first page of Tshirt designs. I think all those pieces make a fairly similar look, and it's all good stuff.

In addition to the stuff with the line work, there is one strong piece that has a different style but still works- the skull/mushroom cloud. The rest of your painted work isn't as strong as your line work designs, but if you could do more like this piece you'd have a pretty good second style.

As for the more children's book style stuff, I do like the boy with the dragon on his head, but it's the best of those, but it doesn't fit with the more edgy stuff. If you really want to have a kids book portfolio too, throw out the rest of the kids stuff and do a bunch more at the same level, and same style as the kid.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.