Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW#277 :: Time Assassin

Character of the Week #277
    Time Assassin

Design an assassin character who travels back and forth in time

DEADLINE: SUNDAY 12th FEB 9PM GMT+1 (8PM GMT)
    Check your timezone!

In the 42nd Century a secret agency is formed and tasked with sending highly trained assassins through time. Their targets are chosen so that their deaths alter aspects of the timeline in an attempt to avoid major catastrophes.

These Time Assassins work alone, slipping from one destination to another, rarely ever returning to their period of origin. Without backup or support from the Agency, Assassins must survive however they can, often having to repair gear or replace clothes with whatever they can find in the era they are in. As a result, they often look completely mismatched, with styles and technology from both past and future civilisations.

Your task is to design one of these assassins. Think carefully about their life; how they kill their targets; what eras they may have already been to; do they keep any trophies from each kill? Also think about their technology; how do they receive new orders?; or travel from one time to another?

Remember that these characters are assassins; they operate on secrecy and discretion. They are smart and calculating and can make use of anything they find.

The Guidelines:
    • Can be Male OR Female
    • Can be any style or genre
    • Consider multiple eras when designing tech and attire
    • It must be clear that they travel through TIME!
    • Consider how long they have been doing this job.
    • Think carefully about the weapons an assassin might use

THE RULES
    In addition to the brief, if you do not follow these rules, you will not be included in the poll.
    • Files must be named: CHoW#277_Username 
(Files with any other names such as final.jpg or even chow277final.jpg will not be accepted)
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread BEFORE the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the focus character must be visible
    • Final images must be accompanied with a basic character sheet in a separate image
Character sheets should at the very least show a sketch of the front and back of the character and a couple of early thumbnails/silhouettes.
    • Follow the brief!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Time Assassin.jpg
Views: 1641
Size:  215.4 KB

First draft, there's a couple of things I like but overall I'm redoing this one.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fdisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the double post, I couldn't figure out how to edit my previous post to add another attachment.

Done for tonight; I'll work on some more stuff tomorrow.

Name:  Time Assassin 2.jpg
Views: 1552
Size:  206.1 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fdisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Time's a wastin'

Weeeeeeeeeeee! Here I go on another one... maybe I'll finish this time yuk yuk

I don't want it to look like a catwalk costume, so some of the accoutrements may need modification or elimination. She doesn't look stealthy at all, so... anywaaaaaaaaay...

I was thinking WWII, Roman Empire (but the immensity of the tunics are not really practical for assassination, methinks), the present, and the far, far future... all of which may be revised...

Name:  timeaxn.JPG
Views: 1618
Size:  109.8 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds great, I will have time this week to work on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well...i sure as hell am going to try to finish... so much to do

Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DoctorDigits For This Useful Post:

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    first sketch --->

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Intriguing topic. The thing that bugs me the most is that if a 42th century assassin would come over you could safely assume that his tech is so advanced there wouldn't be a need to repair it with relics from the past, nor would it be in any way compatible?

On another note: They 'operate on secrecy and discretion'. The entries I'm seeing right now from all of you would be out of place even if there was a carnival dimension they'd travel to :p

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    re up

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    Intriguing topic. The thing that bugs me the most is that if a 42th century assassin would come over you could safely assume that his tech is so advanced there wouldn't be a need to repair it with relics from the past, nor would it be in any way compatible?

On another note: They 'operate on secrecy and discretion'. The entries I'm seeing right now from all of you would be out of place even if there was a carnival dimension they'd travel to :p
    You're very right, but don't you just love the idea of trying to fix a piece of tech with some twine and scraps of leather... there's something nice and macgyver about it all

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NickyBeats, love your concept, it's so detailed and there is a right mood in it))

My first sketches. He's always cold-blooded and got that look on his face that says "No, you can't see my hi-tech-time-travelling-suit. No, even if it's sticking out of my clothes. No, i'm just a random worker, and NO, I'M NOT GOING TO KILL KENNEDY!!!" =D
    Anyway, gonna add some details, add that, delete this...)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YouAreNotAlone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The whole thing is contradictory, it's impossible to be discrete wearing garments from all over history, even if they are all black.

Also, the whole concept of a time traveling assassin is kind of silly; why wouldn't you just travel to when the target was a baby and take them out easy as pie? Not a whole lot of training needed for that.

That's what my guy is going to do, he just kills babies in their cribs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would just send a high-tech nano bomb doomsday thing back through time, why bother sending people at all ^_^

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fdisk View Post
    The whole thing is contradictory, it's impossible to be discrete wearing garments from all over history, even if they are all black.

Also, the whole concept of a time traveling assassin is kind of silly; why wouldn't you just travel to when the target was a baby and take them out easy as pie? Not a whole lot of training needed for that.

I thought that too, but perhaps it would not be that simple. Perhaps the target would need to have caused some influence in his/her life before their assassination. Maybe it would have to be at a very specific time or event in order for the death to work properly. That could also be said about every person this assassin interacts with. Remember that every action has a catalyst, which could change the future thousands of different ways. Something to perhaps consider when doing your design.

This could get way too deep, i watched way too much Terminator in my youth -_-

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

there's a little bit of a contradiction in terms though:
    As a result, they often look completely mismatched, with styles and technology from both past and future civilisations.
    Remember that these characters are assassins; they operate on secrecy and discretion
    how can they look totally weird and mismatched with a centurion's helmet, a plasma rifle and a leather bomber jacket but still be discrete?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fdisk View Post

didn't read what you said before I posted

The assassination target might have done some good in his life, and they needed to grow up to do it, or perhaps they had tried killing the babies, but the outcomes were even worse (like the person who would take charge if Hitler was killed as a child was even more evil). I reckon they'd kill people just before they acted out some atrocity so as to minimise the butterfly effect after the target's death.

Think about it: of all the awful things that have happened to / have been caused by human kind, they must all have been the lesser of two evils, otherwise why would the agency let them happen?

EDIT:
    I thought that too, but perhaps it would not be that simple. Perhaps the target would need to have caused some influence in his/her life before their assassination. Maybe it would have to be at a very specific time or event in order for the death to work properly. That could also be said about every person this assassin interacts with. Remember that every action has a catalyst, which could change the future thousands of different ways. Something to perhaps consider when doing your design.

This could get way too deep, i watched way too much Terminator in my youth -_-
    I need to start reading entire threads before I post.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the victims might need to be assassinated to cause a particular political reaction which benefits certain factions in the future. Say they killed JFK, a weapon from that time would need to be used to create the required affect and outcry. A cloaking device would be pretty cool like the predator... Some future lady on the grassy knoll with an old crappy rifle. Maybe part of some holy order that has devoted their lives to the cause...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    Yeah the victims might need to be assassinated to cause a particular political reaction which benefits certain factions in the future. Say they killed JFK, a weapon from that time would need to be used to create the required affect and outcry. A cloaking device would be pretty cool like the predator... Some future lady on the grassy knoll with an old crappy rifle. Maybe part of some holy order that has devoted their lives to the cause...
    I'd imagined my time traveller as a sniper, and the temptation is to draw a massive, two metre long, fusion-pulse-guass-mega rifle with seventeen scopes and a light-sabre bayonet, but I think some kind of solid round, WWII sniper rifle would be the best bet, but modified to increase the power and range and to accept ice bullets to stop anything too advanced being left behind and altering history.
    "But in that case a future ice gun would be best for the job!" I hear you scream, but no, it has to be easily repaired and maintained, so a mechanical-action weapon would be better.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think if your going to be a time traveling assassin your best bet would be to go the religious route, most religious clothing tend to stick to tradition, and change very little over time,so they could quite easily blend in whatever the century. Plus most religious clothing is also pretty long and unrevealing, so all your high tech gadgetry and weapons could quite easily be hidden underneath. The other alternative is to be disguised as being homeless, since homeless people are pretty much ignored and even avoided by general public, wearing a mixture of fashion trends isn't really a problem, and since there is so many homeless in cities, blending in and hiding would be possible. One major drawback however would be, a homeless person may find it pretty impossible to get into certain high class areas, where as a priest or any other main religious character could pretty much go anywhere, providing of course they have the right documentations etc, and since your are from the future with all sorts of gadgetry at hand, then that shouldn't be any problem.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking forward to this one, i didn't really get to grips with the last one so hopefully this will be different.

Just out of interest what software do most people use? i tend to begin in sketchbook pro and then go over to photoshop Do other people use anything different, or recommend any others

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mistermike - i use painter. i love it, great program.

i think that my design is a bit over the top and as he is, he would probably stick out like a sore thumb in most civilizations from history, but i am gonna bend the rules a bit since they are slightly contradictory, and say that he is not as subtle of an assassin as the rest.

i think im gonna go with the old... he was sent back in time initially to take out a specific target, and during the hit, his time travel mechanism was damaged slightly and he was never able to return to his original time period. so he has been jumping blindly through time in a futile attempt to return to his home. each time he jumps through time he does it out of necessity, for instance if he was in serious trouble and was about to be killed by a surrounding force or something, he would risk the blind jump again... and try his best to carve out some semblence of a normal life, but... being a trained assassin, he tends to wind up with the wrong crowd each time, and repeats this process over and over again. now he has jumped through time so much that he doesnt even remember how old he is or which time period he was originally from. in fact, his aging process has slowed to a crawl as an unintentional side effect of his constant destabilization of his molecules, and his memory is also beginning to show gaps that he can no longer account for. so he just goes on... not caring anymore about his appearance, or the reactions he receives. all of the things he carries has, at one point had a significant meaning to him at a specific point in history, so he wears them all proudly, and has reluctantly shared this information with hundreds of companions that he has had, and lost.

something like that. . .

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Euuh.. Uhm.. Yeah.

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So long as were talking about the concept here; my first thought was--how hard is it to find some clothes from whatever time you're in? The trained assassin is unable to find some clothes??? Idgi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think most of you are overthinking it. Just go with the flow and if you have reservations, then show it in your design as best as you can. Your supposed to have fun with your design. You don't always have to be super realistic and logical about it all.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Legacy Flame For This Useful Post:

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mistermike: painter

legacy flame: you're probably right, but this is concept and as much as i agree that everything doesn't have to be super realistic and logical, isn't a major part of concept all about over thinking things,

43. The Following User Says Thank You to grenogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legacy Flame - totally agree man. i mean the idea is to generate a bunch of concepts based on everyones different interpretation of the theme. each of us will see this particular character in a different way, and thats why i love doing chows, because everybody is bringing something different to the table. why is everyone trying to chisel down the theme to such a one dimensional archetype? if anything we should take the theme and try to push it to the limits, not trying to restrict our creativity by setting up all of these secondary guidelines that are defined by the rules of the real world.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyBeats View Post
    Legacy Flame - totally agree man. i mean the idea is to generate a bunch of concepts based on everyones different interpretation of the theme. each of us will see this particular character in a different way, and thats why i love doing chows, because everybody is bringing something different to the table. why is everyone trying to chisel down the theme to such a one dimensional archetype? if anything we should take the theme and try to push it to the limits, not trying to restrict our creativity by setting up all of these secondary guidelines that are defined by the rules of the real world.
    Agreed, but in order to make a character believable there needs be some kind of logic to it

Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first quick sketch. My character tries to infiltrate the german wehrmacht in 1942 to get a chance of attacking at least one nazi leader. His goal is not to kill them but to telecommand their brains to slightly drive the war into the right direction with the help of his "puppets".

In this sketch he looks very much like a standard german soldier. I'm going to add few details that will show where he's from.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is my train of thought here, this seems like a tricky challenge.

As an assasin is unlikely that someone would dress in any way that would scream so (the ninja wearing a ninja uniform is not really being a good ninja) BUT outside of being an assasin he or she, has hobbies, personality, sense of humour.

Lets say this guy travels in time, gets the job done cleanly but he takes souvenirs. Maybe this guy dresses with a bunch of Richard Nixon Pins, japanese WWII flags and has his guns covered in Bettie Page cut outs or something because thats his thing.

Maybe theres an entire club of tacky sleazeballs in the future collecting dodo skulls and stuff to show off to other time traveling mercenaries.

Theres a pretty funny Patton Oswalt standup where he talks about a hitman convention in Nevada, and turns out they are all superfat, and really run down. Maybe is that kind of person, not really the smooth criminal or super prepared soldier you´d think from action films.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to JDSart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking that by the 42nd century, chameleon suits or projection units would be unobtrusive or highly portable, the assassin can alter their outward appearance at will leaving them free to wear and carry what they want.

They wear keepsakes and mementos of their kills particularly in lower tech societies which can't disrupt chameleon or holo-projection kit.

Anyway, a few ideas.

Mistermike: painter and photoshop. Prefer using painter.

51. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironbyte For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1