Sketchbook: alizak - a newbie on a mission - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: alizak - a newbie on a mission

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow you have done a lot since I was last here! Try getting random pics and draw from reference a bit, its helped me a heap. Though searching for the images is always a bit hard for me so I used this: http://abduzeedo.com/tags/daily-inspiration
    I go through it every morning and just see what sticks out to me, takes the searching out of it. But good job thus far.

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alizak View Post
    The whole drawing of the knight is pretty off, but yes the horse does look far too small - I will look up some images on Google - thanks
    The horse itself is not too small I'd say (if I can remember correctly how big a horse is compared to a person from when I used to do horseback riding). The proportions are off though, the head and neck are too small and the tail is WAY too long. I wouldn't want to be that horse, tripping over my own tail.

You're improving though, keep up the good work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Topcross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SaiVix Funny you should say that - I am quite fond of the contour drawings too, I think I want to do some with a pen and then colour them with watercolours.

Jaik Thanks for the link - looks like there are a lot of interesting images on that site.

Topcross thanks for the feedback on the horse and the encouragement

Here are my sketches from today - first a warm up exercise - a pure contour drawing of my converse. Then four modified contour drawings - an onion, my hand holding a pen, my foot (my daughter woke from nap during that so it was a bit rushed) and finally my pot of orchids.

I had a lot of fun with these and I'm looking forward to seeing what is next in Drawing from the right side of the brain.

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely start!

Freelance Artist Website : http://www.allyalbon.com

Blog : http://allyalbon.wordpress.com/

Black Cat Chronicles : Soul Thief now published
    http://aileenpettigrew.wordpress.com/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AllyAlbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, I admire your enthusiasm, I always hated doing contour drawings, haha,

keep up the good work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome enthusiasm, i'll subscribe to your SB and make sure to bother you about staying on the ball. Always cool to see people who re-discover their passion in art, i kind of wandered away after high school as well. Love these contours, keep it up.

My Sketchbook!This scrub needs your guidance

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AllyAlbon and Hunin and Ixallus - thanks for your kind words - I am loving the support on these forums, it really makes me want to keep on drawing as much as possible.

So I moved on to the next chapter in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and it was all about negative spaces - for some reason I found this a lot more difficult than the previous chapter so I think all of my sketches look a bit whacky - I think I couldn't fully switch over to the right side of my brain and I kept on confusing myself with which space around the object I was currently drawing. Let me know what you think of the sketches...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm impressed with your diligence to work through the book so thoroughly!
    I've gotten my hands on a copy a couple times, but always got bored and ran off to draw cartoons.
    Negative space is a really under rated concept. When your working from reference the brain keeps insisting on looking at the subject- like the chair.
    Forcing your brain to only look at the negative space is kind of the same problem in reverse but what the book is trying to do is enforce the idea of negative spaces existence- so when you draw an object you look at and around it with the same objectivity.

That's what the whole right-side book seems to be about. Taking the stuff your brain doesn't do normally and letting you know these ideas exist- when you marry them all with the stuff your brain does automatically you have a much better system of tools to approach drawing problems.
    Pretty clever that book

I think my favorite from this page is the converse sneaker- I remember doing blind contours and I didn't find them fun- my instructor insisted that we go as slow as humanly possible - and one exercise was 5 hours long! but they do teach you thinks- so they're worth it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great that you started art again, I quit geology to do it . It's crazy, in just this past week or so you've already improved so much. Keep at it, I'll be rooting you on!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GoGoJojo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, the line quality on the chair is really improving! I too should focus on negative space. Argh, so much to learn. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress

If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhubix Goodness 5 hours - I couldn't imagine doing that. I have the bad habit of drawing too quickly and rushing through things, so I don't see how 5 hours is even possible! I agree with you that the book is quite clever, that is why I really want to learn as much as I can from it - I really need to learn to 'see' again.

GoGoJojo Thanks for visiting and yay for seeing an improvement - I think that made my day! I subscribed to your sketchbook

Sean McClain
    Thanks for that I will take a look at it.

Jaik Thanks - and goodness isn't there are a lot to learn - it can feel overwhelming at times - but I'm sure we will keep on improving if we just focus on a little bit at a time.

---------

Well not much of an update today - I did some doodles at my friend's house last night and they are all very ordinary. I started to read through the chapter on perspective and sighting today, but I am too tired to doing any exercises so I will get stuck into that tomorrow night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress. At first glance the perspective in the last one has no major mistakes in it exept the table. It's legs are off. You see too much of the side of them you should see almost nothing, probably nothing at all really of the side of the legs.

EDIT: one tip as well, as you draw, you are the one that controls the perspective. If you rough in everything and you notice that two lines of different objects line up (like the table and the piece of furniture behind it) . Its usually better to move the vanishing point just a tiny bit so this does not happen anymore. It can look wierd and confusing if things line up like that. (You could also just increase something in size abit but if you are trying to get the proportions in a real room accurate on paper that's no option ofcourse:p)

Last edited by Topcross; February 14th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Topcross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I really like the negative space drawing you've done of the orchids. As for the others, try to accurately and slowly get down your basic unit and then compare the rest of the negative spaces to it. I think the problem is concentration- and if you think the drawing has gone awry or doesn't look quite right, try to correct it or start again.

And keep doing doodles, its all good practice

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topcross thank you for the critique - I can see where I went wrong now - damn this perspective! And thanks for the tip about controlling the vanishing point - definitely something to remember.

Hunin I think one of my main problems is rushing through everything too quickly I must try to slow down and concentrate more.

-----

Soooo tired today (the bubbas don't seem to think that I need sleep ) so I only did this one tiny sketch - and I don't know if it is utter crap or not - but I'm pretty sure it looks wrong. Trying to do sighting/sizing using my pencil and I'm actually finding it quite difficult to do. Any tips on getting angles and relative sizes correct?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have the exact same problem with concentration!

And if you're feeling tired, take a break. Pushing yourself too much will lead to burnout and you won't be enjoying the process as much

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hunin nice to know I am not the only one who has a problem with concentration - looks like it is a going to be another tired day today but hopefully I can draw a little bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by alizak View Post
    Trying to do sighting/sizing using my pencil and I'm actually finding it quite difficult to do. Any tips on getting angles and relative sizes correct?
    Slapped this quick tutorial together before going to bed, hope it helps, again if you want the image removed again later, let me know.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Topcross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still don't know how you draw by the negative space, Heh. I see your tackling perspective, that's a slippery slope. I'm going through Hogarth for figure perspectives. I haven't really found a book that can explain perspective to it's fullest. I think that's because it tackles the issue of creating a three-dimensional space on a two-dimensional medium. Versus say learning anatomy, which is a whole different ball park.

Doesn't seem like it's something you can summarize and bottle up in a single book, though there is certainly a lot of helpful information out there (Topcross provided some already). I'd think lots of life drawing would be helpful, focusing more on analyzing and observing how objects get foreshortened relative to where you're standing. People watching is also pretty good, especially if you're on a bus or subway. you can also study gesture while you're doing that (thanks to Jason Manley & Zhang Lus tutorial for suggesting that).

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topcross is giving some awesome advice I second all that stuff.

When I was learning perspective I used a light blue colour-erase pencil for the guide lines, and a darker one for the true lines. That way if you go to clean it up later you don't go cross-eyed trying to figure out what all the lines mean.

Perspective gets more intuitive if you take the time to do it the long way for a while. Cubes are probably my favorite napkin doodle subject.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topcross Thank you for the tutorial - things are starting to get a little clearer.

Ixallus - Drawing negative space means you see all of the negative areas around an object as shapes, and draw those shapes instead of the object itself. I found it quite hard to get my mind to switch off and just look at those negative shapes. I'll try to get in as much life drawing as possible - but it is tricky because I can only really draw at night from home since I'm single with 2 little kids. But things can only get easier!

Rhubix - thanks for the tip about the blue-erase pencil - I'll get at the start of the March (I'm currently doing frugal Feb - not buying anything apart from the essentials - food, bills and rent). I will be sure to do it the long way for some time - I really want to understand perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well as I thought today was super-tiring so I wasn't in the mood for much of anything - TBH I have been a total grumpy bum all day

So I just sketched this elephant from a photo. It was fun and it took my mind off of all the crap that I have been thinking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The elephant is very good, alot of improvement on that one.

One small thing, the back leg doesn't look like it can support is weight. Probably because it looks much shorter than the front leg. Try indicating the hip, as you indicated the front legs' shoulder.
    If you look up some images on the internet off elephant skeletons, you'll see that the front and back legs have about the same length. The hip is less pronounced than the shoulder but still visible.

A tip that has to do with that is, something that helps me alot, try to draw and understand how something works, rather than just drawing what you see. It helps to find mistakes, and also if you understand how an elephant 'works' after drawing one a couple of time it becomes easier to draw elephants (and animals like it).

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Topcross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see a somewhat.. "whispy" quality to your lines - which means you're not looking at the object enough before you draw it - you're drawing it as you go. This is a bad idea and usually doesn't end in a product the artist is happy with. Guidelines really help, especially with a subject as complex as hands (which SEEM very simple, but when you actually try to draw them.. it's like you draw them perfect and they STILL suck, and you're thinking WWTTFFF!). Use circles for joints and tubes for the fingers. Lay the hands structure and pose out in light guidelines before you commit to any pencil strokes in with a softer pencil. And keep drawing them close to life size, or bigger! Hand drawings that can fit on the back of a quarter are more frustration than they're worth.

I also saw the human body drawings - I'd focus more on my line quality than anything right now. The anatomy could be spot on, but if your line quality is shaky, the whole drawing will sort of lose it, visually.

Your other option is to ignore me, because I'm tired, its midnight and I'm not sure I really gave you any positives to your work (speaking of which, Gestures are good if you do a few for about 5 minutes prior to drawing - they get you to zoom out, look at the object, study the pose, and make loose drawings that will help you with other decisions you will be making - both consciously and unconsciously - as you draw)

Hopefully I wasn't too much of an ass, and make sure you keep it fun for yourself! (Which really means if you're just messing around, keep it fun. If you're aiming to become a serious artist, then I'd suggest you just keep practicing and honing your skills.)

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

38. The Following User Says Thank You to hitnrun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job on the elephant, sorry I can't offer more detailed critiques, i'm still a noob in many ways and sometimes advice without a firm background of knowledge can be harmful.

Still, I really like the elephant, you get a sense of solidity from it, that this is a real heavy animal

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topcross thanks for the critique - now looking at the reference photo I see that the back leg should be a bit longer and wider. And thanks for the tip about finding out how everything works - I will definitely do that - I want my images to be believable and I think that is the kind of knowledge you need to have to get to that quality of work.

hitnrun thanks for advice - I am definitely trying to improve my line quality, I know it will take some time though - and I think you are right some quick gesture drawings may help to loosen me up. Thanks again!

Hunin Thanks

Not much today - another crazy baby day here. As a side note I can't wait until my girls are teenagers so that I can wake them up at 5am - see how they like it!!!

I did do this quick sketch from a magazine photo - since I am trying to sketch at least once a day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The elephant looks awesome, can definitely see improvement in your work. Perspective seems to be a crux that many people face, me included. Good to see that you are sticking at it though

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaik Thanks

Today was a good day, I headed outside while my little one was napping and had a bit of fun sketching from life.

I sketched some leaves and two of my pot plants - even tried to do a blind-ish contour drawing with ink instead of pencil, which was fun. I also tried to work on my perspective by doing some sketches of the roofs - I will be interested to see what anyone thinks of those drawings - I'm not sure how off they are. And I also did some quick gestures of a magpie searching for worms on my lawn. Lots of fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again!
    I really like the branch pic, thats nice. Your perspective is improving heaps, however on the first one, on the cover one, dont forget that the gutter will get smaller as it recedes from the page, like railway lines converging in the distance, it wont be that obvious, but you drew the lines parallel which implies it gets bigger as it gets further away. Other than that, your line work has improved 10-fold since your first post, very impressed. Also the bird gestures look quite fluid too, Ive spent enough time watching magpies to know exactly what it is doing in each of them lol, evil things when they decide to turn on you though...
    Keep it up

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Example.

Hey there,

Things are coming along great! When drawing figures from photo or life there are a number of ways to go about it. Like the guy above said, basically you want to simplify the shapes as best you can. And basically every picture can be completely broken down into simpler shapes. Beyond that you want to compare sizes, IE between maybe the width of the head to the width of the shoulders.

There is also a technique to map out the figure using basic shapes in the negative space. Using quick lines just to find where all the landmarks are is also a pretty good practice... Knees, Elbows, Hands, Etc. etc.

Have an image below where i crudely tried to put all these techniques to practice. I'm sure there's somewhere out there who can explain both these things way better.

Very Cool Guys:
    Lakai ---- Whirly

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Ixallus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Alizak,

I really like the drawings of the magpies, they have character , I can see improvement from the first to latest post already

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2