Creature Concept Design(critique wanted)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Creature Concept Design(critique wanted)

Hi, Newbie here again
    Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Since my last post here i managed to get some really helpful and great critique and advice when it comes to monster creation,
    This was a creature i came up with yesterday, originally drawn in my sketchbook and then re-drawn with my tablet in sketchbook pro.
    Theme: Head Hunter
    Monster background info: This species of monster are actually called tyflós (greek for 'blind') but nicknamed "head hunters"
    Standing nearly 10 feet tall, with enough power to crush a lorry, the tyflós are dedicated carnivores and enjoy munching on human skulls in their spare time.
    They are blind and rely only on their advanced sense of smell and sound (though main sense is focused on the nose)
    They can also sometimes be controlled and used as 'bodyguards' and/or bounty hunters for powerful demons.
    This is still a work in progress, yes it will be a bit more developed in the future (: I did a lot of studies and development of ideas for the head, body, background info etc all in my actual sketchbook and not in my computer, I would really appreciate any constructive critique, comments, thoughts, advice etc!
    Thanks

P.S, This is a SKETCH, no where near finished, it's a rough idea i wanted to sketch out so i wouldn't forget when i come back to it later, it's a rough draft and isn't meant to be perfect.
    Name:  HEAD HUNTER2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  258.6 KB

Last edited by Dominoflare; February 5th, 2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Just to be clear, decided the heat sensor idea was irrelevant
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what I notice:

- The anatomy is very flawed; too many errors to count.
    - Why is he floating?
    - The human heads don't resemble humans at all; they look like lumpy spheres.
    - The lineart is too scribbly and indistinct
    - His left hand looks like a mitten

I would strongly suggest practicing and working on the fundamentals. Anatomy, forms, observational drawing, perspective, ect.

Good luck!

Where did it ever say that Humpty Dumpty was an egg?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LoopyWillow View Post
    Here is what I notice:

- The anatomy is very flawed; too many errors to count.
    - Why is he floating?
    - The human heads don't resemble humans at all; they look like lumpy spheres.
    - The lineart is too scribbly and indistinct
    - His left hand looks like a mitten

I would strongly suggest practicing and working on the fundamentals. Anatomy, forms, observational drawing, perspective, ect.

Good luck!
    Hi, thanks a lot for the feedback, really appreciate it though i have to say woah calm down a bit eh? It's called a sketch, the line art isn't going to be perfect, this is no where near finished this was just the sketch of an idea i came up with which as i said, will be developed and fixed in the future. everything is rough, i just did this sketch so i wouldn't forget the idea if i ever wanted to come back to it. When i do all the problems will be fixed, i will get references from original photos as well as more care when it comes to anatomy. As for the left hand looking like a mitten, 1) it's not a hand at all, i haven't decided what i really want to do with it, the idea of the blade came to me so i just sketched it out roughly so i wouldn't forget when i came back to it. all the points you'v mentioned where things i already knew about and was going to come back to, this is a SKETCH, not a finished piece, would'v been nice to get some constructive and helpful critique on the Idea itself.
    Regardless, thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also, if they rely on their sense of smell, they could use a nose bit larger than those two miniscule dots to convey this (in real life it's not really the size that matters, but for the sake of conveying the concept to the viewer it would be better). Same goes for the ears, completely blind creature might need large and movable ears so that they can move them to the direction of the sound. And I honesty can't tell what in the creature is supposed to be the heat sensors, something that, if important, could use some visibility for the viewer to notice them.

EDIT: Also, if you're trying to say that the crits are invalid because this is a sketch, then why did you put a sketch so rough in here?

Last edited by TinyBird; February 5th, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Also, if they rely on their sense of smell, they could use a nose bit larger than those two miniscule dots to convey this (in real life it's not really the size that matters, but for the sake of conveying the concept to the viewer it would be better). Same goes for the ears, completely blind creature might need large and movable ears so that they can move them to the direction of the sound. And I honesty can't tell what in the creature is supposed to be the heat sensors, something that, if important, could use some visibility for the viewer to notice them.

EDIT: Also, if you're trying to say that the crits are invalid because this is a sketch, then why did you put a sketch so rough in here?
    I wasn't trying to say the crits are invalid, it's a sketch, this is a w.i.p thread, i just wanted some helpful feedback, i appreciate critique that can help me develop as an artist an awful lot, but saying things like "the hand looks like a mitten" may or may not be true but it doesn't help me in any way at all.
    I agree with your comments about the ear and nose, like i said this is just a sketch of ideas, i haven't done much with it just drawn out my ideas and your comments is very helpful. the nose will definitely be bigger, as for the ears, it's a humanoid creature so it's ears will not be movable, but it does have very good sense of hearing but most of its sense its concentrated in the nose
    so when i come back to the creature i will work in a lot of detail in the face.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why is there so amazingly much room on the sides of the drawing but the creature's feet are mysteriously missing? Cut your sketch, turn the canvas 90 degrees, paste the sketch in and draw the flippin' feet!

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.